Steaming Fondant

Decorating By kentuckyjode Updated 17 Nov 2009 , 9:42am by grandmom

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 8

Do any of you all steam your fondant to get that shiny look? Does the shiny-ness last? Thanks!

7 replies
laidbackluvvie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laidbackluvvie Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 8

hi at my cake class tonight our instructor steamed some flowers and they were really shiny and looked really nice she said they dont stay as shiny as when first steamed but that it does make a difference. hope this helps im a newbie so just picking up tips myself

spring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:07am
post #3 of 8

We steam alot of our fondant cakes. If you have powdered sugar spots it will remove them as well as give your cake a nice sheen.

Remember to use light steam!

Minette

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:15am
post #4 of 8

I have seen them do it on some dvds i have watched and on some tutorials online.. It gives a really nice sheen to the fondant. icon_smile.gif I have not been able to try it myself yet icon_biggrin.gif

kellie0406 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie0406 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:31am
post #5 of 8

I have steamed a number of cakes or decs for cakes. Love the sheen and yes it does last. Also great when you're working with dark colored fondant/gumpaste because it removes the powder sugar or cornstarch left on it.

wildwolves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildwolves Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 1:42am
post #6 of 8

I was just going to ask does the steam remove the corn starch just as well as the powdered sugar? Thought that the corn starch may not go to well with the steam..

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 2:35am
post #7 of 8

I haven't actually tried it - but it seems to work great for Buddy.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 9:42am
post #8 of 8

Just be careful not to overdo it! I kept on steaming once, and the fondant turned permanently sticky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%