Non- Chocolate-Y Chocolate Cake And Less Sweet Icing?

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 16 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm by indydebi

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 10

I have a customer who has requested the cake be chocolate with icing and "not be overwhelmingly chocolate-y or overwhelmingly sweet"...
So what do I make?
I was going to suggest Red Velvet or Devils Food cake, both have chocolate in them but less then my Triple Chocolate Fudge cake, but what about the icing?
Every icing I've ever tasted is sweet, so I'm at a loss.

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 10

My bad mood from last night is carrying over .....

Tell her if she doesn't want chocolate cake with sweet icing, she can serve broccoli and ranch dip.

Stupid people like this pi$$ me off. icon_evil.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 10

Although I prefer Indydebi's response, how about German chocolate? I love chocolate and I can't figure out why the word 'chocolate' is in the name of that cake. icon_smile.gif Very subtle chocolate flavor.

As for the icing, she can scrape hers off. Or, you can suggest icing the cake with ranch dressing. LOL

KristyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyM Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 10

I use a milk choc. cake with almond buttercream, it's a great combo and you get a nice choc. flavor without it being overkill.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

My bad mood from last night is carrying over .....

Tell her if she doesn't want chocolate cake with sweet icing, she can serve broccoli and ranch dip.

Stupid people like this pi$$ me off. icon_evil.gif

lol, I know!

My first email draft was kinda rude so I deleted it and came here thinking maybe I was the one who had it wrong .

I think I may pass this one up just because I don't feel like messing with it.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 10

There are some chocolate icings out there that use sour cream -- the tang cuts the sweetness a little.

Somebody who wants a cake that's not sweet is funny, but still easier to deal with than the people who want non-dairy, gluten free, hypo-allergenic, low fat, vegan, organic, whatever other restricted diet thing they can come up with. If that's your thing, I say stick with the broccoli. Otherwise, it's cake.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 10

Are the meringue buttercreams less sweet tasting - I haven't tried those. But the German Chocolate Cake isn't real chocolatey - personally, for myself, that triple chocolate fudge cake is right up my alley!

tallgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tallgood Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 10

Not sure about the cake(I wouldn't add more to that or it would affect the chemistry), but I make the Wilton recipe for buttercream, but instead of adding the dash of salt sometimes I add up to 1/4 t. of salt, maybe more. Add a little bit and taste often. It cuts the super sweet taste.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 10

I understand exactly what your client is asking for, and it certainly doesn't make her "stupid" for asking. There are chocolate cakes that aren't overwhelmingly chocolate, and the advice about German chocolate cake is spot on. IMBC is definitely a less-sweet buttercream. It's rich and silky and absolutely wonderful.

Deby, perhaps an estrogen patch is in order.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Nov 2009 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Deby, perhaps an estrogen patch is in order.

icon_lol.gif you may be right!

I've got some tests coming up and I'm probably just stressed out over those. Working hard to be nice!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%