White Icing...

Baking By jovigirl Updated 13 Nov 2009 , 10:07am by deliciously_decadent

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, Can anyone share an icing recipe that is white & not made with shortnening or very little, I have been asked to make a wedding cake for a family member, however it's quite far 4hr drive away. I'm thinking to make the cake & just crumb coat it & do a final icing once I'm there & assemble.
Looks like my KA is going on a road trip ;o)

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA

7 replies
jovigirl Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 8

Anyone?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 3:59pm
post #3 of 8

You can add just a dab of violet color to cancel out the yellow. It is one of the many tips I've learned from this site.

Maybe you could do 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening, then add a bit of violet.

At least that's what I'd do.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 8

If you allow your icing to mix for an extended period, the yellow color diminishes. I just tell clients that it's food--it's not just for looks.

I also tell then that it is all butter icing. That pure white icing requires shortening--it's their choice.

Also, nine times our of ten the lighting is dim at a reception--that makes the fact that the icing is not blaring white less noticable.

Whiter icing thoughts for you.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 8

You can use any recipe you have to make icing, but if you want it true white your going to have to add white coloring to it.

Wilton makes a white color that you can add to your icing, a few drops is more than enough.

HTH

jovigirl Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:13pm
post #6 of 8

Well the wedding & ceremony will be outdoors & in the afternoon. The cake will probably be refrigerated till almost time to cut, so the color will be quite noticible.
I've tried the violet trick before, however it does take out the yellow but the white looks dirty, maybe I added the wrong amount?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Nov 2009 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 8

make sharons zambito recipe. she shows how on youtube. she uses hi-ratio shortening.. taste really good. sharonssugarshack.com... is her web site.. hth stands up great in hot weather..

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 13 Nov 2009 , 10:07am
post #8 of 8

i use indi debis all shortening recipe, I am in in australia ands had to addapt it as we don't have some of the things, i use:
250gm of caopha (think this is our equivelant of crisco? it is solidified coconut oil but doesn't really have a taste)
1kg of icing sugar
i jar of betty crocker frosting and add some milk if needed it is soooooo yum and sets really well which i need as i am in the tropic heat here

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%