Using Fondant Extruder,need Help?

Decorating By tmterlaan Updated 11 Nov 2009 , 2:19pm by sadsmile

tmterlaan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmterlaan Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 10

I have the little green extruder, that I bought from a cake supply store. I can't seem to get it to work right. My fondant always comes out dry and cracking when it is extruded. Is there a trick to this that I don't know about. Need help from all of you cake gurus!
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 10

You need to knead in some shortning before you put the fondant in there. Make it really smooth and soft first.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 10

I have the same extruder and the same problem, when I use MFF, my favorite, no matter how much shortening I work in. I don't have that problem with Satin Ice. But I don't like Satin Ice!!!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 10 Nov 2009 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 10

I always lightly coat the fondant piece with shortening before I put it in the extruder and it works like a charm. I've done it with both T's MMF and Michele Foster's fondant.

tmterlaan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmterlaan Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:00am
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the tips. I have tried the shortning before with no success, but maybe I'm not using enough. I really appreciate the responses!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:05am
post #6 of 10

I used about 2 parts fondant and 1 part shortening. In other words, a lot.

Polkadot79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Polkadot79 Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 12:52am
post #7 of 10

Glad I read this post...no wonder I've been about to hurt myself with the extruder. I'm definitely going to add shortening the next time.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:01am
post #8 of 10

Microwave the piece first...it'll be so soft and pliable that when it pushes out, there shouldn't be any cracks at all.

Wait a few minutes before handling it, so it doesn't break easily.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 10

I use water. Just dip your fondant into water and knead. Keep dipping and kneading until you have texture/strechiness of chewing gum. The only reason I don't use shortening is I don't like cleaning the residue out of the extruder barrel.

*edited to correct spelling... let's not even mention whether "strechiness" is an actual word...

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Nov 2009 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 10

I use as much shortening as leah_s said and I also grease the landing pad or plat or tray I am using to catch the extruded rope. I let it sit there a few minutes to firm back up and then handle with care. The heat from your hands should be sufficient to help you mold it where it needs to go. It will want to melt so handle it carefully and quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%