Kopykake Projector Cookies, Pls Share

Baking By ZlatkaT Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 3:07am by CookiesinLA

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 15 Nov 2009 , 5:58pm
post #61 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZlatkaT

CookieO.....wow your cookies are awesome. Would you give me a quick tutorial, how you do the image with the projector? I understand, first you draw with edible color pen, then outline with small tip (1 or 0), then flood? Example the Mouse holding the gift, how did you do the hands, bow on the gift and the Mouse? Those little details needs to be draw freehand? I am tying to get idea how it works. Thank you.

Thank you!

I hand sketched the hand & gift on as last elements of that one, and her nose. If your RI is completely dry (cookie is movable w/o causing cracks etc in your RI design) you could take it back to the projector to get your outlines for the detail work. On the hand & gift of course I had to let the layer(s) below it dry so the hand & gift wouldn't sink into her since I wanted it dimensional. Hope that made sense.

On a couple trail cookies, I was so excited to have my new toy...I outlined everything at once but that confused me when I went to start filling in. I filled in areas too soon blah blah. I found it easier for me to work in stages/layers. After I messed up a couple really bad...I studied the image(s) to get my game plan...what had to be done first etc.

It worked much better for me not having too many lines drawn on my cookie from the get go. I had to go back to what my college professor would tell us..."KISS" (Keep It Simple Silly). lol.

HTH

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:22pm
post #62 of 189

I just called Kopykake and the information I had been given about needing the extension rod to make the image sharper for doing cookies is not correct. You use that to enlarge the image to do larger cakes. That made more sense to me.

I also asked more details about the difference between the K1000 and the 300XK. The K1000 has two lights, vice one on the 300XK and thus more light output so you don't need to worry about lowering the blinds if that is an issue. If you havent had a chance to read back a few pages, a lot of people dont have a huge problem with that.

The biggest thing to me was that she said that the K1000 produces a sharper image compared to the 300XK. This is not just due to the extra light, but the machine itself. Also, the rod on the 300XK is connected to unit above and you cannot move the light above. On the K1000, you can tilt the unit above to as to have your image project sideways. This is how we can help combat the "my hand is causing a shadow as I pipe and I can't see my image" problem. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

The K1000 is more money, but I did find the best price here:

http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=madisonartshop&query=kopykake%20prjector

I see the 300XK for $199 ($225 through Kopykake + $22.22 to ship), but CookieO found a better deal elsewhere.

and the K1000 for $339.74 ($475 through Kopykake with $22.22 to ship)

Through Madison Art, shipping is $18.75 for either. You can use a little dime to 'scratch' a coupon code. I checked and 'Code 4" is the highest discount you can get. If you call, tell them you got Code 4. Code 3 also pops up a lot, but save yourself a bit more. If you get the 1000 with Code 4, the total including shipping comes to $345.14. If you get the 300XK with Code 4, the total including shipping comes to about $210, so again, go with CookieOs link if you want the 300. That company does not carry the K1000 though.

Note Madison Art does not carry replacement bulbs.

So...if you are focusing on the 300, look at the link CookieO provided that had the 300 at $179 before a flat rate shipping of $6.95 plus coupon codes if you sign up for e-mail. This really looks like the way to go for a 300. Thanks so much, CookieO! thumbs_up.gif

If you are looking for a K1000, the best price appears to be through Madison Art with the coupon Code 4.

Hope this helps someone!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:40pm
post #63 of 189

You are very kind to do this research and let us know! Thank you.
I've purchased mine through madison art but did not have a coupon code. Oh well.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 7:44pm
post #64 of 189

That's awesome information! Makes me feel better about not going with the 1000 (because I was SOOOOO close to doing it!!!). I've NEVER had a problem with clarity/sharpness with my 300. The tilting head sounds nifty, though!

TracyLH Posted 17 Nov 2009 , 8:18pm
post #65 of 189

No problem! I am a researcher my nature, so I was glad to share.

ChefJulie - It sounds as though the 300 is working great for you. icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:31pm
post #66 of 189

I'm now in the market for my new projector -- and I'm glad I found this topic!! I'm planning to use it more for cookies, so my question is: which do y'all recommend, the 300 or the 1000? I guess I'm wondering about the reduction lens -- it's only for use on the K300. Which projector can project the smallest picture I guess is the question.

TracyLH Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:08am
post #67 of 189

I ended up making the investment in the 1000 and I feel it is worth every penny. You get more light, it is sharper than the 300 and the fact that you can tilt the head so that the image shines from the side and thus you are not fighting the dreaded shadow effect made it a decision I did not second guess. If you go back through my replies on this, you can see where I got mine at a decent price compared to other places. So, if you can swing it, I would highly recommend the 1000.

As for the smallest picture, I do not know which will do that, but all I did the one time when I was playing and wanted a smaller image was simply scan my drawing into the computer, reduce it, print in and put in it. Viola! Smaller image! Another time when I did not want to got shrink my image, all I did was stack books and then put my cookie (atop parchment paper, of course) on top of that. Not only did it bring it closer to the image, it saved me from leaning over like I usually do when working counter height, which is better on the back anyway.

Also, regarding a smaller image, clarity is something I wanted, so that is another reason I went with the 1000 as it is supposed to be sharper than the 300.

You can see my vote is for the 1000. It is more money, but the features make it worth it to me if you can swing the additional cost. I consider it an investment in a good tool.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:02am
post #68 of 189

I've used my projector mostly for cakes, but occasionally when I have to do lettering on cookies I will pull it out. It relieves the worries over whether or not the entire message will fit! I also have the 1000. It is the one decorating tool I would HATE to lose.

xiswtsawluiix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xiswtsawluiix Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:18am
post #69 of 189

So glad I came across this thread! I thinking about purchasing the kopykake, but couldn't find any reviews to go on. Thanks OP!

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:43am
post #70 of 189

Great topic!! I struggle with printing, etc on cakes-seems like the cake is perfect & then the writting brings it down a couple of notches icon_sad.gif
Would a full sheet cake fit under a 300? Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:10pm
post #71 of 189

I appreciate those answers! icon_biggrin.gif I've heard that the reduction lense was awesome for cookie work, but from what I read both the K1000 and the K300 reduce to 70% and the reduction lense said it would reduce to 50% -- which begged the question -- 50% of the 70% reduction? Or 50% of the original picture (which doesn't make sense since the projector itself reduces to 70%.) (I like to have all my questions answered before I make these big ticket investments.) icon_lol.gif

TracyLH Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:30am
post #72 of 189
Quote:
Quote:

which begged the question -- 50% of the 70% reduction? Or 50% of the original picture

I would just give Kopycake a call. They were very helpful with all of my questions and will tell you what will work best for you.

Don't forget the aspect with the 1000 though of being able to shine your image from the side. Not fighting that shadow is a biggie to me along with the clarity aspect.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #73 of 189

my goodness - they are out of stock at all the places.

ruthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:40pm
post #74 of 189

is the correct projector the K1000 artist opaque projector(graphic)? because the 300 series lists it for cake decorating as opposed to something else, is there more than one version of the K1000? I don't want to pay for the wrong model?

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:26pm
post #75 of 189

Okay is anyone else not getting ANY email notices from CC??? icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

toleshed Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:35pm
post #76 of 189

The email notice I just received for your post bobwonderbuns was not an actual link and not highlighted. I had to copy and paste into my browser for it to work.

TracyLH Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 12:41pm
post #77 of 189
Quote:
Quote:

is the correct projector the K1000 artist opaque projector(graphic)? because the 300 series lists it for cake decorating as opposed to something else, is there more than one version of the K1000? I don't want to pay for the wrong model?

Ruthi - I have the K1000 and I only know of one model. A call to Kopycake might clear up any questions. They were very helpful when I called in doing my research.

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:17am
post #78 of 189

Hi!
I haven't been around for a while but just saw this thread so thought I'd jump in and let you know that I LOVE my KopyKake projector. I'm not talented in the drawing department so it really helps me pipe images on my cookies. (much easier and faster).

I have the 300 and am happy with it (although I'd love not having to worry about shadows too Tracy!). It's doable though if you're concerned about spending more money. I'll eventually be posting how I make mine on my blog.

Here are a few links if you'd like to see some cookies made with the projector:

Owl Cookies:
http://www.sweetopia.net/2009/09/how-to-decorate-cookies-with-royal-icing-top-10-tips/

Olympic Mascots 2010:
http://www.sweetopia.net/2010/01/how-to-make-olympic-mascot-cookies/

Tea Party Cookies:
http://www.sweetopia.net/2009/05/tea-party-cookies/

Princess Cookies:
http://www.sweetopia.net/2009/09/decorated-princess-cookies/

toleshed Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 7:22pm
post #79 of 189

ok My question now is this. For those of you that have the Kopykake 300, do you have the Base Unit or the Clamp Unit and which is the better of the 2?

MsJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsJeannie Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:18am
post #80 of 189

what is a good recipe for cookie that I can roll-out?

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:03pm
post #81 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsJeannie

what is a good recipe for cookie that I can roll-out?

Welcome to CC MsJeannie, glad to have you on board! icon_lol.gif When looking for a good cookie to do this sort of decorating on, look for anything with the word "rolled" in it. It will have a different ratio of sugar/butter/flour than a regular sugar cookie (which breaks easier and spreads like crazy.) The internet is full of "rolled" cookie recipes -- find one and experiment. Change the flavors if you like. Make it your own! thumbs_up.gif

Cynsational Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynsational Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 10:03pm
post #82 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by toleshed

ok My question now is this. For those of you that have the Kopykake 300, do you have the Base Unit or the Clamp Unit and which is the better of the 2?

I, too, was wondering the same exact thing! I am ready to order the 300XK today, but really not sure what the difference is with the clamp model. They are both the same price no matter which website I look on and no one really explains the difference in their descriptions. Does it really need a clamp to hold it to the table? Or is it heavy enough to just plop onto a steady work surface and start piping away?

toleshed Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 10:48pm
post #83 of 189

Cynsational
There is a coupon code for this website which saves you 15% plus free shipping.
The total amount for the 300XK is $157.58. Use coupon code H9W5.
I ordered it this morning and just received notice that it has shipped.
The offer expires sunday night at 11:59
http://www.aswexpress.com

sugarinspired Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarinspired Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm
post #84 of 189

i want one i guess i will have to wait til it goes back on sale. i hope i dont regret getting the 300x model

chefjulie Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 7:05pm
post #85 of 189

sugarinspired, I dont think you'll regret it! I've used mine on pretty much all of the recent cookies in my album and it's been great! There are times it would be handy to have the 1000, but for me, I just cant justify the price when I've had great success with the 300.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 8:15pm
post #86 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetopia

Hi!

Here are a few links if you'd like to see some cookies made with the projector:

Owl Cookies:
http://www.sweetopia.net/2009/09/how-to-decorate-cookies-with-royal-icing-top-10-tips/

Olympic Mascots 2010:
http://www.sweetopia.net/2010/01/how-to-make-olympic-mascot-cookies/

Tea Party Cookies:
http://www.sweetopia.net/2009/05/tea-party-cookies/

Princess Cookies:
http://www.sweetopia.net/2009/09/decorated-princess-cookies/

Thanks for sharing great tutorial on the butterfly cookies thumbs_up.gif

sweetcreationsbykimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:28am
post #87 of 189

I was wondering if most of you use a circle or a square to put your design on using the Kopykat, since most cookie cutters do not come with a design to copy?

sweetcreationsbykimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:34pm
post #88 of 189

Bumping

chefjulie Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:03pm
post #89 of 189

You can use whatever you want! I like squares and circles because it allows me to find whatever image I want and transfer it onto a "neutral" shape.

The KopyKake is also great when you dont have a cookie cutter, but you still want a specific design. I used it to cut all of the carnival cookies in my photos. Just put the whole sheet of rolled cookie dough (I use it straight from the freezer) under the projector and cut your shape icon_smile.gif This way, your cookie is always the perfect size to match your design.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:46pm
post #90 of 189

Wow, that is brilliant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%