Cake Ball Problem

Decorating By Barb1959 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 11:52am by prterrell

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 19

I just finished a couple dozen cake balls that look like pumpkins. I followed the design from one of our fellow CC bakers. The problem I have is this:

I made them - no problem. I dipped them in white chocolate (melts) with orange color (gel). I added some crisco to thin out (one batch I added some veg. oil as the orginal maker did). After they were coated I put them in fridge. When I took them out they sweat. I do not have this problem with other cake balls I make. What do you think could be the problem.

I need to fix this fast because I know I am going to get orders for these.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

18 replies
TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:44am
post #2 of 19

Just let them sit out for a little while then wipe them dry. Is it warm where you are? This always happens to me with my chocolates in the summer months. HTH

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 19

You really should not HAVE to put them in the fridge...I never do. Just let them setup at room temp. OR, put them in JUST until they are set, no longer. They shouldn't sweat then.

Jen icon_smile.gif

anamado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamado Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 19

Condensation was your problem... The cake balls were cold, in touch with warm temperature, the water molecules that are in the air condense and became water in the cold surface.
To prevent this (specially for thawing cakes) I read once in post, that they should be placed in a closed cardboard box. This way, the cake would come to room temperature more slowly, and the cardboard would absorb the wetness.
I still haven't tried this, but it seems very logical. I think it must be great to thaw buttercream and fondant covered cakes.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 19

I was JUST making some of these and ending up throwing out the remaining stuff....hope you don't mind if I jump in here....

Many people recommend freezing the cake balls for an hour before dipping...I did that yet I am wondering...would their coldness impact the chocolate they are being dipped in? I used Make n Mold orange chocolate, added a bit of paramount crystals to this in, dipped them, and they were so hard to get out AND maintain the pumpkin shape...either the "top" would be at the bottom and when I went to "get" it it would flip around and be a mess....or it would fall apart in the dipping chocolate and create a mess.

So sad about these...they looked horrible....even tried dipping them more than once but than I would loose the shape/indents that made them look like a pumpkin!

Anyone decide to stick with Oreo balls instead?

What about almond bark colored orange...would that be better?

Also, in what kind of a container do you do the dipping? I melted the chocolate in a 3 cup Corning Ware glass container so as to have plenty of room?

Again, sorry for hijacking but literally just cleaned up and came on here to ask very similiar questions....

Thanks!!!

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 19

Okay, I decided the problem was 2-fold. 1. Puttin them in the fridge for too long and 2. Using white chocolate and coloring it with the gel colors. I think the gel put too much moisture into the chocolate.
Solution. I went to AC Moore today and picked up the orange colored melts. I did a sample of a couple and kept them out of the fridge. Much better. I did add a little Crisco to the chocolate to think it down a little.

I melt my chocolate in a cereal bowl if I am doing a lot. I melt about 1/2 pound at a time. I also put a skinny skewer in the top to dip them and tap it on the side of the bowl. Since you put a stem on the top it doesn't matter if there is a little hole in the top.

Hope this helps someone.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 8:34am
post #7 of 19

I've always had trouble with my cake balls sweating and cracking open that pretty much explains my problem

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:23am
post #8 of 19

I dont have access to candy melts so Ihave to use white chocolate that I color. Ihave the same problem. But like the other posters said once you take them out of the fridge for a while, let them sweat it out and they'll be fine. I find that I cant use edible markers on my cake balls though??!?! Im assuming it has something to do with the fact im using chocolate and not candy melts. When I fraw withthe marker it just rubs off. icon_sad.gif

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:52am
post #9 of 19

Can someone post a picture of these and where can I find the recipe? I would like to try these. Thanks

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 11:57pm
post #10 of 19

OK,...bought Almond bark yesterday and just melted some, added the Americolor gel to color it....seized right up...grrr.......where do you get these powdered colorings? Do they really work/not ruin the almond bark?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:11am
post #11 of 19

Michaels sell candy colors that you can use.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 8:34am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aej6

OK,...bought Almond bark yesterday and just melted some, added the Americolor gel to color it....seized right up...grrr.......where do you get these powdered colorings? Do they really work/not ruin the almond bark?

If you haven't tossed it out try using somesolid crisco or can'tthink of the name of it but it coconut oil flakes that might save your almond bark

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 9:03am
post #13 of 19

Powdered Colouring is best for chocolate as it contains no water, which is vital in oil based chocolate colouring.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:19am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Can someone post a picture of these and where can I find the recipe? I would like to try these. Thanks

Here ya go:

Recipe:

http://www.bakerella.com/hope-these-put-a-smile-on-your-face/

Some pumpkin cake pops:

http://bunchabenhams.blogspot.com/2009/10/pumpkin-cake-pops.html
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1479701

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:24am
post #15 of 19

you cant use gel colours to tint chocolate. they need to be water free.
xx

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:36am
post #16 of 19

Americolor makes an additive that you use in conjunction with their gel colors in chocolate.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:38am
post #17 of 19

Are you guys talking about Paramount Crystals? I've used them once and they DO work.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:48am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

OK,...bought Almond bark yesterday and just melted some, added the Americolor gel to color it....seized right up...grrr.......where do you get these powdered colorings? Do they really work/not ruin the almond bark

I tried using the almond bark to cover turrets for a castle cake. When I melted a small batch in the microwave then added color it hardened right away. But when I put the colored bark in my double boiler it was fine.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:52am
post #19 of 19

The Americolor product I'm refferring to is called Flo-coat

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=632164

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%