Omg. . So Afraid!!!

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 12:25am by indydebi

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 30

I am so upset right now. I tried putting filling in my cake for the first time last night and I am so afraid it is going to be a disaster!

The first cake (small 6") I put the liquid and all in the middle and it just came running out of the sides when I put the top layer on. So for the next two tiers (8 & 10), I drained the strawberries first and some juice still came out when I put the tiers together. I am petrified that when everyone cuts into the cake it is just going to be a crapload of pink cake mush!

Good news is I pulled the cakes out of the fridge this morning and the outside crumb coat is still white, so it seems not much leaked out, but what about the middle portion. . .do you think it all got absorbed into the cake??

I don't get it.. how do you put filling in there without the cake soaking it up?!

I put a layer of buttercream, a wall of buttercream around the edge and then the filling in the middle.

So nervous. . is there any hope?

29 replies
ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 30

I did my first cake with filling too last night. I used the strawberry filling that comes in a sleeve and it spreads like jam. Very thick and the store owner says it will not soak into the cake.

I was nervous about it at first, but after I done the first cake it was easy and overall, less icing I had to make.

Gool luck.

izzy1953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzy1953 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 30

i use a box of instant vanilla pudding, 2 cups of heavy cream and three tsps of strawberry jello, whip with a whisk until it sets, just a few minutes, chill and fill my cake. it has the consistency of a mousse, and holds up really well. not to mention the fact that it tastes absolutely awesome!

forheavenscake Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:48pm
post #4 of 30

I will try those next time.. .but for now what do you think the chances of my cake stlil being ok on the inside are?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 30

If you want to do fresh sliced strawberries, they need to be mixed into something, either the red gel that you an purchase in the produce section or whipped cream/bavarian cream/custard/pudding.

Any filling that you use, needs to be thick (like the above mentioned things), not watery.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 30

what kind of filling did you use? Your filling shouldn't be "liquid" .... it should be thick, like ranbel described.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 30

How were the strawberries prepared. If we know this it will make determining the damage a lot easier.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 30

You may want to poke a skewer in the center and see if it comes out wet. You know much like when you poke a toothpick in the cake to check and see if it is done so you can take it out of the oven??

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 30

First of all, yes, the cake probably absorbed the liquid..you may even be ok with that tier. However, next time either use fresh strawberries inside a stiff icing dam or if you have to use frozen then mix them into some sort of icing or cream type filling (had to do this with blueberries once and it worked great!). Lastly strawberry preserves are wonderful to use because they have a strong strawberry taste and they are thick enough not to go anywhere.

Unfortunately with this business it's a constant live and learn situation! (((HUG))) I know it's stressful too.

Cat

indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 30

I had to use strawberry jam/preserves in an emergency once (the kind in the jelly section of the grocery). I hated it. They turned brown in color, soaked into the cake so it looked like there was no filling. I was in devistated shock when I cut that cake at the wedding. It wasn't "pretty" and didn't taste as good as the sleeved fillings that I normally use. I just suggest you try it in a personal cake first, to see if you like the result. Many do .... I'm just one who will never do it again.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 30

I am with indy.. I like the sleeves, you can add some fresh strawberries to it too. I like combining it with custard too or maybe foldin them in bettercream like a strawberry mouse.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 30

The sleeves do taste pretty good....I have had really good success with using the Polaner Allfruit preserves...I mostly use the seedless raspberry but I have used the strawberry too and it was fine. Its a nice thick preserve though, and I also seal the cake with a thin layer of buttercream before putting the preserves on there.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #13 of 30

I've been using the sleeved fillings for YEARS. Foolproof.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 30

I love the taste of fresh strawberries. If I have fresh, great. If not, frozen. I roughly mash them, (about 6 C. fresh, or 2 sacks thawed, frozen -no syrup) in a large saucepan. Then I add about 1 C. thawed, undiluted frozen strawberry/apple juice, and around 1 1/2 C. sugar mixed with approximately 6 T. cornstarch, and a little lemon juice, (either fresh or frozen). Cook over low heat, stirring to make sure it doesn't scorch. I like mine rather thick, but if it appears to be too thick or too thin, adjust with a little water or water/cornstarch slurry. Let cool, or even chill before applying to the cake. I don't use a recipe for this so have tried to reconstruct it in my mind as I type. I also use the same procedure for raspberries with delicious results. (Since I don't measure, I sometimes end up with more than needed. In that case, it is terrific on French toast or pancakes with a smidgen of sour cream or whipped cream!)

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm
post #15 of 30

I use the sleeves, too, LOVE them!

Jen icon_smile.gif

TamiLahey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiLahey Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:56pm
post #16 of 30

I'm new to all of this, what is sleeves?

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:59pm
post #17 of 30

What are these 'sleeves' you're talking about? Don't think I've seen anything like that in Canada (at least, I haven't seen them without actually looking for them).

Thanks.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:17pm
post #18 of 30

You can get premade "sleeves" of filling at cake shops. They usually have various cremes or fruit flavors. They're sort of triangular in shape and all you have to do is make a cut on one tip and fill your cake.

I have made fruit fillings using frozen (then thawed) berries, cornstarch and sugar and thickening it on the stove. No leakage as long as you do a barrier around the cake before you fill.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 9:26pm
post #19 of 30

i love the sleeves too and like to mix them sometimes like a dab of the strawberry in the bavarian cream with some chopped fresh berries. also a dab of the coconut or raspberry in the choc bavarian.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:33am
post #20 of 30

I must be odd, I hate the sleeve fillings, they have an odd taste to me. Lot of slime and hardly any fruit. However, I love the canned solo brand raspberry and strawberry filling. I put a thin layer of buttercream down and a nice ring on the edge, then fill with the filling. Homemade strawberry pie filling is also great, and no chemical taste.....ok hate me. I teach cooking and love the homemade stuff.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:58am
post #21 of 30

To describe a 'sleeve': they are about 10-12" long about 3" wide, clear plastic bag/sleeve filled w/well preserved fillings of all sorts: apricot, strawberry; chocolate; bavarian creme; raspberry; blueberry etc, etc.
Once you open one any leftovers can be saved in the frig for many weeks.

forheavenscake Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:00am
post #22 of 30

Thank you for all your comments! Cake has been delivered and devoured! It turned out PERFECT! (I am in totaly shock) You should have seen me as they cut into it. . OMG I was SO nervous. LOL

It tasted delicious and it didn't seep into the cake at all. . SO SURPRISED!

I will definitely make the mixture differently next time (even though it turned out ok this time). All I did was prepare it like you do for strawberry shortcake. Strawberries, lemon juice & sugar. I put the whole mixture on the first tier, and then realized how much liquid was still there, so I strained them for the second and third tier. . .but even the one with all the liquid came out perfect.

i am EXHAUSTED! This was SUCH a stressful day! LOL

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:07am
post #23 of 30
Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:08am
post #24 of 30

hammer1 - I agree with you!!

I do not like the taste of sleeve filling either. Tastes like the stuff they put in jelly donuts or sweet rolls (which I am sure is what is used). I have used preserves or jam mixed with a package of dry jello (same flavor as preserves). Mix together in a pot over low heat till jello is dissolved, pour into a bowl or container, cover and refrigerate over night.

When I am ready to use it I stir it up, spread a very thin layer of BC on my cake, place my dam and then put on the filling and it tastes great. Used it on the cake I did last week and got rave reviews.

I froze a lot of strawberries this past summer and will be looking for a recipe to make using those. Do you have a recipe that you would be willing to share that uses frozen strawberries (sliced with no sugar added)?

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:18am
post #25 of 30

I use the strawberry pie filling in the produce section then place the sliced strawberries on top of this and it works well for me.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:28am
post #26 of 30

Peridot...I raise a lot of strawberries and usually have a lot in my freezer, too. I posted a sort of recipe on page one here, more of a guideline since I am a "dab here and a pinch there" kind of cook. I generally hate store bought stuff and the sweet gels that one finds in bakery donuts, etc. have an artificial after taste to me, much less any recognizable fruit in them. Yea for home made!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:50am
post #27 of 30

In the super market cake and pie filling aisle, they have strawberry sauce, and cherry...its very good I have used that in the middle and used fresh strawberries on the outside, they raved over it.....its right near the pie filling cans

Juliequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juliequeen Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:52am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

I love the taste of fresh strawberries. If I have fresh, great. If not, frozen. I roughly mash them, (about 6 C. fresh, or 2 sacks thawed, frozen -no syrup) in a large saucepan. Then I add about 1 C. thawed, undiluted frozen strawberry/apple juice, and around 1 1/2 C. sugar mixed with approximately 6 T. cornstarch, and a little lemon juice, (either fresh or frozen). Cook over low heat, stirring to make sure it doesn't scorch. I like mine rather thick, but if it appears to be too thick or too thin, adjust with a little water or water/cornstarch slurry. Let cool, or even chill before applying to the cake. I don't use a recipe for this so have tried to reconstruct it in my mind as I type. I also use the same procedure for raspberries with delicious results. (Since I don't measure, I sometimes end up with more than needed. In that case, it is terrific on French toast or pancakes with a smidgen of sour cream or whipped cream!)

I use a recipe similar to this one only to add to the thickness and prevent the filling from soaking the cake I like to add about half an envelope of unflavored gelatin to the boiling mixture. Works perfect every time. HTH.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:24am
post #29 of 30

Indydebi what brand of jam did you use? I have used Polaner, Smuckers, Dickenson, and even Publix store brand w/ success, although I stick to Dickenson primarily for custmers.

indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:25am
post #30 of 30

smuckers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%