Simple Syrup Question?

Decorating By ranbel Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 1:02pm by jlynnw

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:02am
post #1 of 26

When applying simple syrup - Do you apply to each layer before leveling? Or do you only apply it to the top layer after the two layer are put together. Dumb question, but I have to ask.

If you apply the syrup to each layer, how long does it need to sit before leveling and ice the cake?

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

25 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:21am
post #2 of 26

No worries! I tort all the cakes and then put the simple syrup on each layer of cake.

I then pipe a dam and put the filling in the center. Next layer of cake. Dam and filling, etc.

Then I just crumbcoat where the dam is. Then I wrap saran wrap around the entire cake (pressing lightly into the frosting so that it sticks). Then I leave it overnight so that it can settle.

I come back and scrap off the excess and then crumbcoat the cake.

Hope this helps.

ranbel Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:42am
post #3 of 26

So, what you're says is to level/torte the top and then apply the simple syrup? Is it necessary for it to sit overnight?

My plan was to take out of the freezer Friday morning and ice/decorate that evening. Have to delivery @ 10 am Sat. morning.

Does the syrup make the cake wet? I never used it before, this will be my first time.

cylstrial Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #4 of 26

Yes, you are going to level/torte the top and then apply the simple syrup.

It doesn't have to sit overnight, but you want the cake to settle. I would let it sit it for at least 4 hours or so before icing and decorating the cake.

The simple syrup shouldn't make the cake wet. You just want it to make the cake moist. So don't oversaturate it.

When you put it on the cake, you will be able to see where you have put some and where you haven't. Just don't over do it.

ranbel Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 26

Ok thanks. I just watch a video on youtube about applying the simple syrup, I get it now.

Thanks so much.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:14am
post #6 of 26

Is this for cakes that you always find dry? Would this addinf syrup not make the cake sickening sweet and or sticky? Just curious....

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:13pm
post #7 of 26

Madge - the simple syrup is typically used on a scratch cake, they say it isn't to ADD moisture, it is supposed to help it just "keep" it moist? There are some that add liquors and/or flavorings to the simple syrup also to "layer" flavors.

You cannot use them on a box based cake IMO - it will make them extremely soggy if you do. This is typically a scratch cake only technique.

If this is incorrect info, someone please let me know!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 26

ranbel could you please put the video for the syrup...and thank you for posting this ....I have always wanted to know about adding syrup to the cake...thank you in advance

cylstrial Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 26

I'm a scratch baker and I use them on my scratch cakes. It's to help keep them moist. Cake mixes are generally moist and wouldn't need a simple syrup.

You can add flavors to the simple syrup.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 26

I have used simple syrup on box cakes. The syrup will add flavor and not make the cake soggy. It just needs to be done in moderation, just like using it on a scratch cake. I do prefer to leave the cake overnight for the flavors to marry and the moisture to absorb throughout the cake, no soggy top layer. KWIM? I have used expresso with kaluaha for a box chocolate cake, it was loved by all. Not to moist but added an additional taste layer.

Cristi-Tutty Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 26

wow... so you can put any liquor to the cake...or any juice to it? sounds delicious .. I will love to try it next time...if I make a lemon cake I can add some lemon juice to the cake for more flavor? sorry for the question...and thank you

Loucinda Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 26

About how much syrup is used on each type of cake? (has anyone done a measurement?) The boxed based cakes I usually make would not take to a syrup very well at all, IMO.....unless it was a very small amount. I am interested in trying it though.

I usually bake the liquours into the cake itself, so I am wondering what difference in flavor there would be doing that vs. the simple syrup technique.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:00pm
post #13 of 26

I have used the simple syrup only on the boxed chocolate and pound cake mix. They are a lot drier than the vanilla or butter flavors. I use it wuite frequently on scratch cakes as well. Most of the time I will make a 4 cup batch and set aside about 1/4 cup and add a couple tablespoons of liquer to and store the rest in the fridge for later use. Kahlua with chocolate cake on my chocolate dreams cake is my biggest seller.

Simple syrup can also be added to buttercream to make it nice and fluffy if you use a shortening based buttercream. I don't like shortening based buttercreams but this helps for those that do use it for customers that insist on it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #14 of 26

I generally only use syrup on cakes that are designed for the addition of liquid after baking: i.e. sponge and genoise.

ranbel Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 11:15pm
post #15 of 26

Here is the web address showing how to apply the simple syrup. To me it looks like she is putting alot on, but I not sure.

Also, my cake started with a box, similiar to the WACS, I hope I can use the simple syrup with the recipe.

jlynnw Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #16 of 26

I use about 1/4 for a 9 inch cake. That is for 3 - 4 layers. Sometimes more depending on the cake. I use a pastry brush and liberally apply. I did a cake this weekend (6, 9, 12) and used 1 1/2 cups of syrup on it. I base iced the cake on Thursday evening, covered in fondant Friday evening, stack and decorated what little I did Saturday morning. The cake got rave reviews. There were very few at the wedding (less than 60) and barely any cake left over.

I like to bake the flavor in the cake and then add a bit of syrup as well. It gives the cake layers of favor. It is a great way to add another extra pop to the cake with limited expense but big return. I definately add the syrup to genoise. dobo, sponge and the like but they are not the only ones that can use it.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:31am
post #17 of 26

I watched that video and I don't care for the brush method of putting simple syrup on the cake. I prefer to fill a squeeze bottle and just squirt it on gently and lightly. On, and I use it on box mix cakes sometimes.

madgeowens Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:59am
post #18 of 26

I wonder how a spray bottle to just mist the cake layer would work?

Cristi-Tutty Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:27pm
post #19 of 26

Gracias ranbel por el video icon_wink.gif

Cristi-Tutty Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:30pm
post #20 of 26

I am sorry...I do not know why I put in spanish "Thank you raber for the video" It is great!!!

jlynnw Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm
post #21 of 26

The squirt bottle works good. The mist bottle just does not work for me. It seems to take a lot of misting to get the job done. In the video, she does use a bit of syrup but look at how dry that cake looks and all the crumb.

Loucinda Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:54pm
post #22 of 26

Thanks again ladies for the info - something new for me to try out!! icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:32am
post #23 of 26

I think better to use a good moist cake recipe hehe

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:13am
post #24 of 26

prterrell, do you have a good recipe for a sponge and genoise cake that you would be willing to share? icon_smile.gif

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:56am
post #25 of 26

I just watched that video too and I would say I put on less than half the syrup she used; she was splashing it all over the place!
But then I think my cakes are more moist than the one she was demonstrating on.

I also agree that it's a great way to layer or intensify flavours. I recently made a choc/orange mud cake and used Cointreau in the syrup and I'm told it was really delicious. It also wasn't eaten until 4 or 5 days after I made it (something I didn't know beforehand) and was still moist.

jlynnw Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:02pm
post #26 of 26

sugarandslice MMMMMMMMMMMMM that sounds GOOD! (yes, Yelling in my bestestest little girl voice) That sounds like a great combo. I like contreau on a lot of things. I used some in the strawberry cake I make recently. It does add a touch of flavor that adds so much to the cakes.

prterrell, I would like the recipes as well. Mine makes a lot and when broken down in 1/4 doesn't make quite the same. The ratio stays but ... I am guessing the baker is to blame. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%