How Do You Clean Your Air Brush ????

Decorating By farmom3 Updated 19 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm by farmom3

farmom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmom3 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 15

I just bought an air brush and I want to play with it but I don't know how to cean it. do I have to take it apart ??? or just using water instead of color ??
please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks

14 replies
Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 15

Go to YouTube and type "airbrush cleaning" into the search box and it will bring up a couple of good videos that tell you exactly how to clean your airbrush. That's how I learned to clean mine. HTH

farmom3 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 15

Thank you so much Bonnell
but they use some cleaning solution what do you use for cake air brush ??I find some video but they are not for cake.
and always you take it apart??

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 15

So this intricate piece of highly delicate equipment came without instructions? Cause it's pretty fairly complicated stuff to take apart and put back together if you don't have a visual aid.

farmom3 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 15

hi LURVELY
NO instructions !!!! I don't know how to use it and how to clean it and .......
but I can't wait to play with it icon_lol.gif

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 15

Learned this years ago with a class from Francis Kyper: dissolve a denture cleaning tablet in water and run it thru your airbrush as a cleaner. Cover the front nozzle to force the air to bubble up thru the liquid in the cup then flush with plain water. This will help keep your brush running like new just like mine that is +30 years old and only occasionally gets a new needle!

farmom3 Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 15

Thank you very MUCH bisbqueenb
I think I am ready to try it thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnazmom3

hi LURVELY
NO instructions !!!! I don't know how to use it and how to clean it and .......
but I can't wait to play with it icon_lol.gif

Wow. That stinks! Cause you really should take it apart every once in awhile and clean out the back of the needle. It will start to stick on you. I do what Bisb does, but still take it apart, cause there are little nooks and crannies where stuff can build up. But, I think it depends on your airbrush model too.

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 15

Try using plain water where the paint goes.Turn on the airbrush and spray into the kitchen sink until the water comes out clean.you may have to repeat the steps several times.I have had my airbrush for almost 3 years and this is how I clean it.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 15

Shoot vodka through it - takes less than a minute.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 15

I bought the KopyKake cleaning solution. I have no idea what's in that stuff, but it makes me cough and splutter really badly. I would definitely prefer to use water or vodka.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 15

I also use an airbrush cleaner solution made by Kroma Kolors. And yes it does make me cough and sputter so I use it sparingly and I flush with water afterward. The YouTube videos show you what parts you can take off easily to clean without totally disassembling your airbrush (take my word for it they are almost impossible to get back together if you take all the insides out - ask me how I know this). All I use on my airbrush is water and airbrush cleaner I bought at my cake supply store.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #13 of 15

I first run water through mine, then everclear.

I have an expensive Badger (which I hate) that came with a lovely little booklet, but NOT ONE instruction on how to clean it or take it apart.

I now have a GREX (which I LOVE) and it came with very explicit instructions.

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:07pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfa

Try using plain water where the paint goes.Turn on the airbrush and spray into the kitchen sink until the water comes out clean.you may have to repeat the steps several times.I have had my airbrush for almost 3 years and this is how I clean it.

This is what I do, too. I've had mine for about 20 years, and occasionally take it apart when it sticks a little.

I'm going to try vodka the next time, though. Maybe that'll be better.

farmom3 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:28pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you very much everybody for help
you are great thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%