Kitchen Cake Questions

Decorating By doodledo Updated 14 Oct 2009 , 12:31am by doodledo

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:15am
post #1 of 10

I am doing a small 3 tiered wedding cake with poured ganache over the layers with fall flowers on for display, the rest will be kitchen cakes. Do I need to pour ganche over the kitchen cakes as well? What is the best board for kitchen cakes?

9 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:23am
post #2 of 10

Well that is totally up to you and the bride. It really depends.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:30am
post #3 of 10

How big will the kitchen cakes be? If they will be big, then you need really sturdy boards to transport the cakes on. I use plywood boards for my 12x18 and 9x13 cakes.

Ideally, imo, kitchen cakes should look like the wedding cake so those guests who get kitchen cake servings will be unaware they did not get actual wedding cake. So if the wedding cake is 2 layers per tier or torted, so should the kitchen cakes be. If the decoration is poured ganache, then pour ganache on the kitchen cakes. You don't need flowers on the kitchen cake though. That's how I would do it anyway.

If it is a paid cake, the bride is the one who decides ultimately. If it is a free gift, then you are have the final decision, because the more detail you add, the more it will cost you to make the cake.

doodledo Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks. I too thought the cakes should have ganche on them also. I love the plywood idea.
The crazy thing is, this is an older couple getting married and she keeps saying she doesnt care! So I am going to try to take the esiest route that looks nice! icon_lol.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 10

I'd do the ganache to make them look the same.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 10

I totally agree with SugarFrosted, make as close to the actual wedding cake as possible. Some guests are really "put off" by being served cake that is obviously not cut from the wedding cake.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 10

I use 1/2" foam core for sheetcakes - it is a lot lighter than plywood, and works just fine. And just my opinion, the cakes need to look the same!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 10

Since i don't do kitchen or sheet cakes at weddings (the price is the same, no matter what pan I bake it in, so they go with getting a bigger grander wedding cake), this has never comeup for me. But I'm with everyone else .... they should at least resemble, because there are just way too many Jerry Springer people out there who would notice and feel slighted.

Too many stories like this on www.etiquettehell.com

ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 10

I agree that the kitchen cakes should be made to look as close as possible to the wedding cake.

doodledo Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 12:31am
post #10 of 10

Thank you everyone. Now if they just turn out ok!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%