Can I Use Clay Molds?

Decorating By FH_Cakes Updated 10 Oct 2009 , 1:20pm by FH_Cakes

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 4:54am
post #1 of 5

There are several silicone molds I want, however the price is adding up fast. Can I use clay molds for gumpaste/fondant? What other non-cake items are good tools to use (stencils, stamps, cutters, molds...) I stopped off at Joann's the other day and started thinking I could find some great things to work with, but want to know others experiences first...Thanks!

4 replies
patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:17am
post #2 of 5

It is my understanding that as long as you only use them for cake decorating it is ok. Sometimes at Michaels their clay tools are cheaper than cake decorating tools so I buy them. Other than that Im sure If you use your imagination , You will be able to come up with other ideas. Have fun!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 5:20am
post #3 of 5

Many people in here use tools that are not meant to touch food, however, as a personal preference, I only use things that are meant for food. If I can't find it, I will make it with food grade materials.

If you want to save some $$, get your mold making materials. The silicone plastique from "Make Your Own Molds" is what I usually use but the Amazing Mold Putty from Michaels works fine.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Oct 2009 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 5

Clay molds are cheaper than the silicone molds you see for cake decorating because they are not made from food safe materials and shouldn't be used for anything that will be eaten.

Now that said some will. And most of those are parts of the cake that people probably won't eat, like gumpaste parts. So you have to decide what you are most comfortable with.

If you do get any tools that are made for non cake decorating things I'd be careful using them and would suggest contacting the company to see if they contain any harmfull things in them.

Never use clay tools or other stuff for cake decorating if they have been used with clay or non edible items.

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 10 Oct 2009 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for chiming in. I totally understand about the food safe part of it, this was my major concern. The clay mold I am considering buying is for wings to put on these little angels I am making to sell at a Craft Bazaar, they will not be eaten.

I'm gonna bight the bullet and go invest in the Silicone Molds from First Impressions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%