Feedback On This Cake?

Decorating By Lovemesomecake Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm by JGMB

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 11

Ugh....I don't like this cake I just did. icon_sad.gif Its just not my style....its for my friend's twin babies that are being baptised this Saturday. To me it just looks like a big pink and blue blob! EEK! I didn't want to do pink and blue, but she really wanted those colors.

Is there anything I can do to tone it down or is it ok? Its just so not my style so I can't tell if its good or not! icon_eek.gif
LL

10 replies
Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 11

You did a great job! I think it's a cute cake, love your writing! It's normal to feel the way you are feeling, I always feel that way when I have to do a design that I don't care for but it's what the customer wants so we have to do what they want instead of what we think looks good, lol..

Lovemesomecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemesomecake Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 11

Its just SOOOO not what I wanted to do!!! icon_sad.gif I can't see anything but pink and blue, LOL. AHHHH

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 11

I think it's nice. I feel the same way on just about every cake I do. Don't be so harsh on yourself.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 11

I'm jealous of your beautiful writing! You did a very nice job - I'm sure she'll be happy with it. Just remember that a lot of non cakers thing simple designs like this are absolutely wonderful! I think if you added to it, it might become tacky looking.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 11

The cake is great i love the writing and the colour combination

. But i want to point out , When you are making a cake for some one . . it is NOT YOUR CAKE!

yes you did all the vital parts to create this cake, but fact is, this is what your friend wants, Not you. I get the same when i dont 'feel' a design myself but you just have to accept this is what so and so wanted/requested etc. Its a labour of love, and sometimes we have to swallow our own creative pride for the sake of others.

treat it as a learning experience, you wont always love every cake you have to do just because of a simple matter like a certain colour or shape choice.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 11

Not my style either, but you did a good job. I like your lettering. I would probably put it on a base that wasn't just covered in foil, that always detracts from a nice looking cake.

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 11

I agree with LURVELY - not my taste, but you executed it well. I, too, am in constant agony over whether or not to sacrifice my artistic integrity for what the customer wants. You just have to hope that customers will see your work and judge for themselves whether or not your aesthetic is good fit for their needs. We all have had to make regrettable cake or two in the name of a buck. (I really try not to, though.)

TheCakeShak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShak Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 11

Hi there......

I think it looks nice too! I love your lettering also!

If you have time, maybe to bring more "focal point" to the cake entirely is put some blue and pink flowers, roses?, gerba daisies? apple blossoms? at around the base of the cross. This might help take away from the focal of the silver foil and bring more to the cake.

I too sometimes run into that issue of not liking a cake for all the reasons, etc and too have to remember, "it's what they requested". Although, I do try to get them to "go outside the box of the same thing". Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Overall, I tell myself, so long as the requester is happy in the presentation end.

Hope this helps...... Don't be so hard on yourself! You did good!

ally38562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally38562 Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 11

I think it looks great!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 11

It's just beautiful and, more importantly, it's exactly what was requested! A baby cake doesn't have to be over the top -- this is precious in that it's simple, it's a cross to commemorate baptism and the colors to symbolize a boy and a girl. Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%