I Hate Wilton Parchment Triangles !!@#$#

Decorating By bcake1960 Updated 4 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm by dldbrou

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:26pm
post #1 of 15

OK Is it just me or are those bags WAYYYY TOO THIN!! I Just had a bag explode and purple frosting glob landed in my lap!! UGH!!! I have noticed that when using them the frosting makes the bags soft if you let them sit any lenghth of time.. im talking 20 minutes... then they will split while you are using them.. I AM NOT BUYING ANYMORE Wilton!!!! Anyone have any sugesstions what brand parchment for bags is better than Wilton??..

14 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 15

sounds like you are talking about two things here.plastic bags breaking and parchment triangles? Is that right...I may be wrong I have the flu and can't think haha....any way....buy a reusable professional pastry bag.....make plugs from plastic wrap for easy clean up and there ya go....

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 15

oh my goodness.. here we go again...?????

bcake1960 Posted 3 Oct 2009 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 15

No, I am just talking about the Parchment bags... I like to use paper when I just have a quick little job to do with a small bag.. I do have canvas bags and I hate to waste a plastic bag for a little job.. Those things are expensive.. Im sorry you have the flu icon_sad.gif I hope you get better soon.. drink plenty of WATER.. AND KEEP THOSE HANDS WASHED.. iTS GOING TO BE A LONG FLU SEASON.. (I work in a DRS office..)

bcake1960 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:02am
post #5 of 15

What do you mean Here we go again????

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:29am
post #6 of 15

Those parchment bags are my nemesis. I can make a fresh bag squeeze it for the first and it will bust! I have blobbed on myself and a cake before. It is pure torture. I have a gazillion canvas bags but we go through so many colors we don't always have enough canvas bags.

I am interested in others advice as well

madgeowens Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 12:46am
post #7 of 15

why don't you use plugs? thats what I was talking about earlier...I love it...small or big job....lay plastic wrap on counter and add a plop of butter cream near edge in center and fold plastic over roll up dop into canvad bag and boing.....you can add several colors or one....I never have trouble with parchment......mainly cause I never use them lol....too in a hurry to roll and tape etc....hth.thanks I got it in my chest now....think I caught it at the ER....good place to sta out of now

bcake1960 Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:13am
post #8 of 15

Ok I got it!! Duh... Thanks for the great tip! That makes total sense to me now...hahah.. I will give that a try.. Thanks Madge! thumbs_up.gif

marilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marilyn Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #9 of 15

I think Wilton has changed their parchment triangles within the last couple of years (I had used them for years without any problems). I called the company last year because I had that same problem and tape dosn't even stick very well to them. They sent me a new box but they are the same. I started buying the brand from Country Kitchen, and they work well.

madgeowens Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 5:27am
post #10 of 15

welcome bcake hope that helps icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:12am
post #11 of 15

check this out, its showing the tip...you will love it

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-38404-frosting.html+plugs

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:26am
post #12 of 15

It is really OK to say Wilton parchment triangles suck. It is. Lots of Wilton stuff sucks. Lots of stuff that other manufacturers produce....suck. I have come to discover over the years that vacuum cleaners pretty much....suck. Whaddya gonna do?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:38am
post #13 of 15

I used Wilton parchment triangles for years without problems. A couple of years ago I noticed they were thinner, like tissue paper. I went to several Walmarts around town and looked at the ones they had in stock. Some were the old reliable kind but many were the thinner, tissue paper ones. I bought all the original kind that I could locate (several boxes in all) and recently used the last of them.

I started looking for parchment triangles a while ago and found a package of 500 18"size on eBay. When those are gone I will probably buy the package of 1000 for $72 from Country Kitchen.

Btw, I cut mine in half most of the time and make 2 cones from one triangle. Often I only need to use a small amount of a color on any particular cake, so the small cones work well.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 6:40am
post #14 of 15

I think that wilton is more for a hobby baker, or mom trying to make their kids... a big gimic because anyone can buy them at the local craft shop... so they charge more money for inferior products, because they can...like a monopoly... you can go to joanna and get 10 cardboard rounds for 5 bucks, or to a supply place online and get um for 20 cents each coated... KWIM??

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 4 Oct 2009 , 2:20pm
post #15 of 15

I was going to suggest to take a ziplock bag and put icing in it, then zip it close letting out the extra air and clip the end. I have used this when I have a small amount to pipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%