Why Does A Cake Mix Taste So Much Better

Decorating By txmom9802 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm by nonnyscakes

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #91 of 181

I do both.

I use doctored box mix for a couple basic flavors...but I have some killer scratch recipes. I only use scratch if it tastes better than box...more moist, more flavorful...and I do not use simple syrup. I don't care for it. For instance alot of bakeries will make a genoise cake (dry) and then soak in syrup (yuck). haha. I don't do that. My cakes are moist by themselves, whether doctored box or scratch.

So since I'm sitting on the fence, surely I'm safe from the "vs." debate, right? haha. Anyway...my customers love BOTH kinds of cakes...I've even had wedding tastings where they've chosen a box mix over a scratch cake (different flavors, and they didn't know which was which) so since "its not broke, I don't need to fix it."

Anyway I suppose it does not matter what other bakers think...it only matters how happy we make our customers...right!!! thumbs_up.gif

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:45pm
post #92 of 181

[quote="snowboarder"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Tired of the scratch snobs on here thinking scratch is better and box is cheating...

Please don't call scratch bakers snobs. I'm a scratch baker and I can assure you I don't give a rat's if you use a box mix, circle thrice around the oven before putting the pans in or sing "it's a small world after all" while you're mixing up the batter. It's all good to me.[/

Totally Agree, Im not a scratch snob, I simply prefer a "Good" scratch made cake!!! And I dont put a simple syrup on my cakes, They Dont Need It. But if thats what the recipe called for then I would certainly use it.

Again I think it is a matter of personal taste!! If we are allowed to have one(lol)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:47pm
post #93 of 181
Quote:

Tired of the scratch snobs on here thinking scratch is better and box is cheating....

This is why the scratch bakers on here get aggravated at these threads. If you bake from scratch you're obviously a snob, right? Well, I'm a proud cake snob, and I bake from scratch because I know how to.

Baking is a skill, like I said before. Why is it that if I said I can't cook a good steak (I'm glad someone else used that example) people just figure I don't know how to cook meat, but if I say I can't bake a good cake then I'd get everyone telling me that doesn't mean I'm not a good baker? You can learn to bake, but not everyone is a good baker to start with. It takes practice, just like anything else. Using a mix takes some of the skill out of it because you have the backup of added gums and other fillers that guarantee a reliable product. If that's what you want to do, HAVE AT IT!!! I don't, so I guess I'm a snob who looks down on everyone else.

Opening a bag of Bertoilli frozen dinner and heating it up doesn't make me an Italian chef. If I practiced to be an Italian chef I bet I could learn how to, though.

And Kate, my 10-yr-old daughter won't eat Bisquick, because she can taste the chemicals in it and doesn't like them. Some people don't like the taste of the chemicals, and yes, we can taste them in things.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:53pm
post #94 of 181

I think some baking is skill but some is just plain good taste! You have to not only know how to make the cake, but you have to know how to choose a recipe that is going to be yummy, and you have to also know not to be satisfied with a cake that's "okay" when you can find one that is "amazing".

I know some people's definition of "really good cake" is not my definition of good cake. So the trick is to find a cake that everybody agrees is good cake. haha.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:25pm
post #95 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I know some people's definition of "really good cake" is not my definition of good cake. So the trick is to find a cake that everybody agrees is good cake. haha.

How funny ... my daughter and I were talking about cake yesterday (surprised, aren't ya? icon_rolleyes.gif ). She told me that she's been to lots of weddings where the cake was really dry. "Mom, I mean REALLY dry!" She conceeds that she's spoiled by my cakes (ah, shucks! whatta good kid!). But the people at her table are going on and on about how good the cake is. "I look at them and say, "are you kidding? you LIKE this crap? You GOTTA get one of my mom's cakes then!"" (she's like her mom .... kinda blunt ... if you couldn't tell!)

It's all according to taste. It's all according to preference. It's some of what you're used to. It's a lot of just how good or bad the cake baker is.

And just to add my 2 cents (oh yeah like I've never done THAT before!), I think it is unfair to paint all scratch bakers as cake snobs, just like it's unfair to paint all mix bakers as untalented. It's the extremes in both camps that irritate ALL of us on this issue.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #96 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

And just to add my 2 cents (oh yeah like I've never done THAT before!), I think it is unfair to paint all scratch bakers as cake snobs, just like it's unfair to paint all mix bakers as untalented. It's the extremes in both camps that irritate ALL of us on this issue.

Amen! Preach on, Sister, preach on! icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #97 of 181
Quote:

I I think it is unfair to paint all scratch bakers as cake snobs, just like it's unfair to paint all mix bakers as untalented. It's the extremes in both camps that irritate ALL of us on this issue.

Amen!

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #98 of 181

I agree with alot on here this is a thread that can become very heated very fast! Everyone has there own preferences on how to make THERE cakes! I prefer box doctored up, i acnnot find a good from scratch recipe! BUt the only thing that matters is if your customers are happy with what you are serving them! I have plenty of repeat customers who love my cakes! So i gotta say i use box doctored up and stand behind them!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:48pm
post #99 of 181

Scratch are usually heavier than mix cakes. I think people are so use to mix cakes that a lot of people don't know the difference. I love both, it just depends, but I do use mixes doctored more often.

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:19pm
post #100 of 181
Quote:

Amen Debi!!!! Thank you!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #101 of 181

Thank you again Indy - you always have a good way of putting things! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:43pm
post #102 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

And don't forget the "simple syrup" that is brushed, drizzled, or poured onto most (not all) scratch cakes to help retain the moisture (or was it to add an extra layer of flavoring?)

I didn't really want to jump in on this "horse beating" debate again but I just had to comment on this above statement.

I've been baking from scratch for about 30 yrs and I had NEVER heard of the use of a "simple syrup" until I joined this site and started reading different forums on line.

IF you master the "skill" of scratch baking correctly you don't need to pour anything on it to get a moist cake or another level or flavor. I have no need for simple syrups, my cakes, breads, muffins, and cookies are moist on their own.

The method one uses to bake is a personal preference....I happen to love baking more then decorating so for me the science behind coming up with new recipes is what excites me.

Having said that........
If scratch baking were an easy "skill" or "art form" to achieve why wouldn't everyone do it? It's not easy and not everyone can achieve it.

Not everyone can bake a mix cake successfully either......my MIL screws it up every time. icon_lol.gif

Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm
post #103 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:

And don't forget the "simple syrup" that is brushed, drizzled, or poured onto most (not all) scratch cakes to help retain the moisture (or was it to add an extra layer of flavoring?)

I didn't really want to jump in on this "horse beating" debate again but I just had to comment on this above statement.

I've been baking from scratch for about 30 yrs and I had NEVER heard of the use of a "simple syrup" until I joined this site and started reading different forums on line.

IF you master the "skill" of scratch baking correctly you don't need to pour anything on it to get a moist cake or another level or flavor. I have no need for simple syrups, my cakes, breads, muffins, and cookies are moist on their own.

The method one uses to bake is a personal preference....I happen to love baking more then decorating so for me the science behind coming up with new recipes is what excites me.

Having said that........
If scratch baking were an easy "skill" or "art form" to achieve why wouldn't everyone do it? It's not easy and not everyone can achieve it.

Not everyone can bake a mix cake successfully either......my MIL screws it up every time. icon_lol.gif

Deb
I dont think I could have said this any better!!! I have never need a simple syrup either. There is a science to baking. And to each his own!! with out any hostility!!

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:54pm
post #104 of 181

I do both. I certainly enjoy the personal satisfaction of being able to call my grandmother, who I might add, is the best cook, baker in the land, and tell her I have baked a cake from scratch.

I also enjoy the personal satisfaction of pulling the WASC on her and she ranting how good, and moist it is and then I got to pop the recipe on her! WOOT! The look on her face was priceless when she saw the main ingredient was a box mix!

Everyone has talents. I am thankful for the few I have but more thankful for those who are willing to share theirs so I can improve.

Thank you all!

Deb_ Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #105 of 181

[quote="cakesdivine"]Tired of the scratch snobs on here thinking scratch is better and box is cheating...You do what works for you and your client. Let's face it the "cake" part of caking isn't the expense of the cake it is all the other stuff we do. So if your client likes scratch with a dryer consistancy and a larger crumb great, but the majority of the world does prefer the moister, finer crumb of a mix, doctored or not. [/quote]

I am COMPLETELY offended by your comments. "Snob?" Re-read your own post.

I love this site 98% of the time until this subject and the "legal/illegal" subject come up......then it sucks. thumbsdown.gif

I can't believe that adults can act so childish with each other to resort to name calling. icon_sad.gif

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #106 of 181
Quote:
Quote:

We can all learn different techniques from others.

Spend some time in an Italian Cake shop and see how they use syrups in their cakes. I can't imagine a Tiramisu without a flavoured sugar syrup??

It is not cheating and it does not mean the cake is not made well.

DakotaDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DakotaDesigns Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #107 of 181

Something to consider... when I am making a cake for a customer that I know is more concerned on uber moist melt in your mouth cake, I add a little bit of instant pudding icon_rolleyes.gif . Believe it or not it works to moisten just about anything! You'll have to up the amount of milk you use though. Toy around with it icon_wink.gif

Also, I've grown quite fond of brushing sweetened condensed milk on my cakes and have found that this works to give it more of a rich flavor.

You've gotten so many great suggestions through all these pages so what're ya waiting for? Lol hop in the kitchen and have some fun! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

(BTW, I bake both boxed and scratch - I work 12 hour days at another job so more often than not I need to pump em out quick!)

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:32pm
post #108 of 181

There's a difference between 'scratch cake snobs' and those who bake from scratch. The 'snobs' come on and try to belittle those who use mixes.

If you are a scratch baker and don't do that, then you are not one of those 'cake snobs'.

I do both scratch and mix as well.

Deb_ Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 8:43pm
post #109 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara91

Spend some time in an Italian Cake shop and see how they use syrups in their cakes. I can't imagine a Tiramisu without a flavoured sugar syrup??

It is not cheating and it does not mean the cake is not made well.

TOTALLY AGREE!! Tiramisu is a completely different story, as is genoise, rum cakes, fruit cakes, etc.

I know there are some recipes where using rum, kahlua etc., are part of the "method". I'm not alluding to those type of cakes at all.

I'm speaking of the use of a "simple syrup" to add "moistness" to a basic yellow, white, chocolate cake. Different animal altogether.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:05pm
post #110 of 181
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany29

I also prefer scratch cake. I really like (and so does everyone who's had it) the hershey's chocolate cake ecipe on the back of the hershey can. It is very moist and yummy! For white cake I like silver white cake, I believe there is a recipe for it here in the recipes. It's all a matter of personal preference. Once you find a good scratch recipe you may change your mind! Play around try a few different recipes and see what you like. icon_smile.gif

REALLY icon_eek.gif , to me this is the WORST chocolate cake in the world! I have had it from several different sources (myself included just to see if it was the baker or the recipe) and it is definitely a terrible cake recipe in my opinion.

I agree with cakesdivine - I detest this recipe and others just swear by it. It's got a funky texture and a chalky taste.

I think each recipe is different. I've yet to find a GOOD scratch white recipe so my white cake of choice is a doctored box mix. But then I love Colette Peters' Bourbon Chocolate Cake for my "go to" chocolate cake and don't care for box chocolate cakes, even when doctored. I don't think one is right or wrong over the other - it's just a matter of personal preference and every person is different. Go with what you like! icon_smile.gif

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:20pm
post #111 of 181

I think box cakes are definitly better but there are a few scratch that are decent.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm
post #112 of 181

Can someone direct me to an online delicious vanilla cake from scratch please?

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:26pm
post #113 of 181

I make the yellow cake recipe from seriouscakes on youtube. She even walks you through it. Not a bad scratch cake and it is nice and moist.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #114 of 181
Quote:

it does not matter what you use or how you do it, if you are happy and your clients are happy - don't fret about it! icon_biggrin.gif (and do not belittle others for their choices)

That's so right!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #115 of 181

The BEST yellow cake I've ever eaten (reading all above, I guess I should rephrase that.... starting over..) My FAVORITE yellow cake is Toba Garrett's "Moist Yellow Cake" in her book "The Well-Decorated Cake". It is very moist, with a fine crumb, buttery and vanilla-y in rich flavor, and dense enough to stand up to fondant without sagging. It's scratch all the way. It requires excellent ingredients and exact following of instructions. Margarine is not the same as butter -- the best butter you can find. All purpose flour is not the same as cake flour. Skim milk is not buttermilk. I've taken Toba's classes, and when she tells you to add 1/4 cup of the sugar at a time, and to beat on medium high speed for one full minute after each addition, she means it. That's 8 full minutes just adding the sugar to the butter, which has already been beaten for about 5 minutes. And it takes some practice to know exactly when the cake is done, and not over-done. To my taste, there's no comparison with a mix. But it's not easy and it's definitely not cheap, and I doubt very much that a commercial bakery could charge enough to make it worthwhile. But I do recommend trying it. It's an experience not to be missed.

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #116 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

There's a difference between 'scratch cake snobs' and those who bake from scratch. The 'snobs' come on and try to belittle those who use mixes.

If you are a scratch baker and don't do that, then you are not one of those 'cake snobs'.

I do both scratch and mix as well.

Amen to that!

I do heavily doctored up box mixes because I am one of those who has the proverbial "Black Spatula" when it comes to doing cakes from scratch. I can and will bake up just about anything else from scratch (especially cookies and brownies! ) but cake? OMG forget it!

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:58pm
post #117 of 181

Just read this entire post...whew!! What a debate!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I personally love both, but my family and customers hands down LOVE Betty Crocker mixes for White & Chocolate cakes...I've done so many taste tests and everyone comes out the same. There have been a few scratch recipes that are so yummy, but I usually stick to the box, cause I know how it's going to turn out every single time...I do a ton of other baking from scratch, pastries, breads, tarts, you name it, I bake it. Just something about the mixes keeps me coming back....maybe it's the chemicals? icon_wink.gif

What I really want is to get my hands on some of these scratch recipes!! icon_smile.gif
Anyone willing to share???

calicopurr Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:58pm
post #118 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

I make the yellow cake recipe from seriouscakes on youtube. She even walks you through it. Not a bad scratch cake and it is nice and moist.

LOL...funny you should mention that. I made it and it baked over the pan. icon_cry.gif I cut it up into small bite sized pieces and added some whipped Bettercream and blueberries and packed it lightly in a bowl. It was very tasty.

I bake doctored mixes, but I'm willing to try scratch again for my own satisfaction. Toba's sounds delish, but to expensive to try at the moment. I'll look around the forum until someone will chime in. Please share one of your recipes with me. It would be a great experience for some of us I'm sure. I'll like to try a tired and true scratch and I'll folow it to a T. I'm anxious to taste a scratch cake.

calicopurr Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:03pm
post #119 of 181

I do heavily doctored up box mixes because I am one of those who has the proverbial "Black Spatula" when it comes to doing cakes from scratch. I can and will bake up just about anything else from scratch (especially cookies and brownies! ) but cake? OMG forget it !

Black Spatula??? icon_confused.gif

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:10pm
post #120 of 181

If you want to give the scratch thing a try, check out the chocolate peanut butter cake and the butterscotch pecan cake on MarthaStewart.com. I've made both and they're terrific. The chocolate peanut butter cake is really just a chocolate cake (a very good one) with layers of peanut/dacquoise in between and a chocolate peanut butter icing (I think). It's fussy to make, but sooooo worth it. The dacquoise is just a meringue with chopped peanuts in it -- sounds harder to do than it is. Go for it, Calicopurr! It's fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%