Why Does A Cake Mix Taste So Much Better

Decorating By txmom9802 Updated 15 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm by nonnyscakes

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:15pm
post #121 of 181

Anyone have a tried & true Chocolate cake recipe without nuts?
luddroth that sounds delish, but I've got a nut free house icon_smile.gif

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:31pm
post #122 of 181

The Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake, although dissed a few times on this post, is by far the best chocolate cake I've tried....and I've tried alot. I sub 1 cup of the white sugar with brown, I use some coffee in with the water and vary the milk depending on what I'm making (ie sometimes I use buttermilk, sometimes I use part milk, part Kahlua, etc), I add grated chocolate in the batter in the end sometimes, this is one recipe that turns out so moist and yummy.....and of course you can use whatever cocoa turns you on....put I like the Hershey's Special Dark.

janebrophy Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #123 of 181

Thanks SandiOh, I'm going to try Toba's yellow, and I'll try your variation of the Hershey's...I've done the original but didn't care for it...I'll be extra careful this time!

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:08pm
post #124 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

Black Spatula??? icon_confused.gif

*LOL* yeah, like you know how great gardeners have a "green thumb" and those who cant keep a plant alive have a "black thumb"? I have a "black spatula" because I kill any scratch cake I make. (or is that I accidentally kill anyone who eats a scratch cake I made? icon_confused.gif )

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:14pm
post #125 of 181

Came across this article that explains why mix cakes will always be perceived as more moist than scratch cakes.

It appears that cake mix cakes should only be compared to other cake mix cakes (brands); and scratch cakes only to other scratch cakes (recipes).

Seems we have been trying to compare apples to oranges.....

(Scroll down just past "Answer")

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Desserts-747/BROWNIES.htm

Tons of CC member contributed scratch cake recipes:
(Includes "moist".)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-440803-.html

Scratch baking site that I really like:

www.joyofbaking.com

Baking and Baking Science:

http://www.bakingandbakingscience.com/Cakes.htm

HTH

CIApastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIApastrychef Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:32pm
post #126 of 181

Haven't read all of the replies for this post, but while I like box mix ok, there's absolutely nothing better than a cake from scratch (MADE RIGHT! lol). Any cake can be moist with oil and crisco, but I personally hate using either. I love that I am able to tell my clients that all of my baked goods, not just cakes, that they are made with the best products possible. I know that most bakers on this site swear by crisco in their buttercream, but I personally think it's revolting(the aftertaste mainly), and no tastier than a wal-mart cake.

There are so many talented artists that contribute to this site, and I am never disappointed by the beautiful cakes that are created. But remember, cakes are meant to be eaten, and you want the inside of your cake to be as amazing as the outer!

Keep baking, bakers! icon_smile.gif
Kristy

CeeTee Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:58pm
post #127 of 181

While I feel the same about shortening in icings (I just hate Crisco in general), I have to say that just because an icing is made with shortening, that doesn't instantly make it bad or not quality. I know some folks who are lactose-intolerant or have problems digesting butter, and have had cakes with hi-ratio shortening icing that was pretty good. Not my personal fav, but defintely not crappy!

SandiOh Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:11am
post #128 of 181

I have several exceptional cake recipes that have oil in them...and I'm not ashamed of that. Not a darn thing wrong with using oil, a cake exclusively made with butter does not mean it's superior. And shortening has it's place. While I agree I wouldn't want to eat a bowl of shortening and sugar therie is nothing wrong with using it.

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:29am
post #129 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

I think its a thing of personal preference and experience.
I am 27 but I've been baking from scratch since I was 13.

My boyfriend on the other hand grew up having only box mix cakes. In the year or so that hes been home and having my baking, he can't stand box mix cakes anymore.
I have totally turned him into a cake snob and he can tell in one bite when its from a box mix.

So its personal taste combined with what your used to and your palate.

I would be more than happy to share some scratch recipes that are tried and true if you would like.

Can you please PM me with 2 or 3 scratch cake recipes that are moist?
Thanks.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #130 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

And Kate, my 10-yr-old daughter won't eat Bisquick, because she can taste the chemicals in it and doesn't like them. Some people don't like the taste of the chemicals, and yes, we can taste them in things.

I already referenced that aluminum-y leavening is detectible. I happen to have an ancient box of Bisquick--I was 'sposed to use it by February of 06-so the only weird thing in there is the leavening agents.

I hope you teach her the difference in what she is eating. The flour has more 'chemical' additives than the leavening. Every ingredient is a chemical. The reaction with the leavening and the monocalcium phosphate which is an acid is probably what she's not liking. I already said that one.

What I mean is all the other products on the shelf that do have preservatives and additives--few if any of us (aside from the leavening issue I already disclaimered) notice any weird taste that we just can't stahhhhnd.

It's mostly only in cake mix that we think we have issues.

I'm one of the types that cilantro tastes kinda soap-y to me but I just kept eating it. I love it now. I'm not saying to keep eating Bisquick obviously I din eat mine either--I'm just saying different tastes hit us different ways too huh.

But teach The little Munchkin Czarinlette about chemicals. It's not the chemicals she doesn't like. It's an aluminum-y baking powder reacting to an acid combination that she doesn't like--lots of folks don't like it.

You need to make her biscuits with butter and good baking powder and buttermilk! icon_biggrin.gif You might have a little Chefette Czarina on your hands.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:52am
post #131 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:

And Kate, my 10-yr-old daughter won't eat Bisquick, because she can taste the chemicals in it and doesn't like them. Some people don't like the taste of the chemicals, and yes, we can taste them in things.

I already referenced that aluminum-y leavening is detectible. I happen to have an ancient box of Bisquick--I was 'sposed to use it by February of 06-so the only weird thing in there is the leavening agents.

I hope you teach her the difference in what she is eating. The flour has more 'chemical' additives than the leavening. Every ingredient is a chemical. The reaction with the leavening and the monocalcium phosphate which is an acid is probably what she's not liking. I already said that one.

What I mean is all the other products on the shelf that do have preservatives and additives--few if any of us (aside from the leavening issue I already disclaimered) notice any weird taste that we just can't stahhhhnd.

I'm one of the types that cilantro tastes kinda soap-y to me but I just kept eating it. I love it now. I'm not saying to keep eating Bisquick obviously I din eat mine either--I'm just saying different tastes hit us different ways too huh.

But teach The little Munchkin Czarinlette about chemicals. It's not the chemicals she doesn't like. It's an aluminum-y baking powder reacting to an acid combination that she doesn't like--lots of folks don't like it.

You need to make her biscuits with butter and good baking powder and buttermilk! icon_biggrin.gif You might have a little Chefette Czarina on your hands.

Uh, no, it's the chemical additives that they put in the bisquick she doesn't like. We made homemeade buttermilk biscuits last night, from scratch, no bisquick. I will certainly teach her that unneccessary additives are just that, unneccesary, and that the added gunk in the bisquick mix is what she's tasting and doesn't like. The baking powder isn't the issue, it's all the other crap they put in the bisquick, whether we choose to believe it or not.

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:01am
post #132 of 181

Maybe the word "cheating" was a bad choice. I didn't intend for it to imply it was "illegal or immoral" and I certainly didn't "get my dander up". I couldn't care less how other people bake. I simply don't like cake mixes. People need to relax a bit. I thought the forum was for voicing opinions and having a chat. Geez.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:18am
post #133 of 181
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

Quote:

Uh, no, it's the chemical additives that they put in the bisquick she doesn't like. We made homemeade buttermilk biscuits last night, from scratch, no bisquick. I will certainly teach her that unneccessary additives are just that, unneccesary, and that the added gunk in the bisquick mix is what she's tasting and doesn't like. The baking powder isn't the issue, it's all the other crap they put in the bisquick, whether we choose to believe it or not.

So what are the additives? The funky taste in Bisquick that bothers some people is from it's own leavening--but this is from a box that's three years old. There are no other additives on my box--there may be bht or something as a preservative on the box itself and wrapper but nothing else is listed on mine.

What are the ingredients on the box? There's more additives in the flour they use--the same flour we mostly all use--than in the mix itself on my old box. Ain't no additives just funky leavening.

Your daughter has a good palate. Future candidate for Hell's Kitchen--Gordon Ramsay likes the people with the great palate's. He does yell at them a bit first.

CIApastrychef Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm
post #134 of 181

I have to agree with Kathy. While millions of people find box mixes fine, I just would rather not use them. Just a personal preference.

At the risk of categorizing anyone, would anyone agree that there is two large "teams", if you will: the hardcore bakers and the hardcore decorators?

Please don't get me wrong, I know we all strive to make really great products all around. I just think that some of our focuses are different.

Not looking to ruffle any feathers as well, just some good spirited debate icon_biggrin.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #135 of 181

Hmm......I don't know which one I would fall into! I love to bake - artisan breads (even have my own sourdough starter along with some from the 1800's!) bake killer cinnamon rolls, muffins, baklava, tirmisu (all from "scratch") but the only "scratch" cakes I bake are granny cake, carrot cake, and occasionally red cake. I LOVE to decorate the cakes I bake and my most valued comments are "not only does your cake look beautiful, it TASTES wonderful too! So, am I a semi- hard core baker? thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

I have to add this too, I occasionally bake for a small business group of folks (and several other people donate things for it too) - and it tickled me that last time they had a get together, one of the men in the group saw me leaving and said......"I don't care whatever it was Cindy brought - that is what I want..."

I love what I do and my clients are happy! icon_smile.gif

CIApastrychef Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:23pm
post #136 of 181

Sounds awesome! I am super jealous of your sourdough starter! icon_wink.gif

SandiOh Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:38pm
post #137 of 181

I have to say that I am irked at this whole posting. Initially the OP posted a general question....and replies have turned into a bunch of bickering that I initially found fascinating but now as I said am perturbed.

I joined this group because I love to bake and decorate and I wanted some mentoring help from very skilled cake makers....most of the time that it was I get...I bake as a balance to a very stressful job where I deal with things that really matter....death, disease, trauma, poverty, imminent threats of job cuts....I bake to help myself and my coworkers and my friends who all deal with similar issues.

some of you forget what cakes really represent - joy, celebration, love, pleasure - (provided your not bringing a cake to a funeral or to someone who's experienced some sort of loss, but that still is meant to represent some sort of comfort). That comfort does not lessen if it is a cake mix, scratch, made with butter, oil or styrofoam....

If you are lucky enough to do this for a living THEN YOU ARE BLESSED. I'm not in anyway diminishing your stresses - cuz lord knows I know it can be stressful and frustrating.

I just want to see people remember that this whole community is here for suppot and mentorship for people who love to bake. end of story.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:51pm
post #138 of 181

SandiOh - I have been around CC for quite some time. (I think almost from its' beginning!) I have always tried to live by the rule "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all". You can even go through and read all of my posts - I do not think you will find any "negative" ones.

CC has always been a supportive and wonderful place to get information for those of us who love to bake and decorate. There (over the years) have always been a few whose posts I haven't cared for, but I just ignore the ones that I feel are not helpful or beneficial and go on. The good thing is they usually don't hang around for too long and then they move on!

So - take the good - ignore the bad - and enjoy the time you have here! The good always outweighs the bad! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

CIA - I keep my starters dried, so they last a looonng time! (and I like mine better than the 1800's one, it is "tangier" - maybe because it isn't so old!) icon_wink.gif

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 2:57pm
post #139 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom9802

Why does a cake mix taste so much better than made from scratch? I can not seem to find a good scratch recipe. They are always dry. I don't like using a box mix, but the made from scratch recipes just are not tender, and moist. icon_sad.gif

It's a matter of personal preference. I love scratch cakes. The only one that tends to be dry is white cake, but I'm experimenting with that.

janebrophy Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:20pm
post #140 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Came across this article that explains why mix cakes will always be perceived as more moist than scratch cakes.

It appears that cake mix cakes should only be compared to other cake mix cakes (brands); and scratch cakes only to other scratch cakes (recipes).

Seems we have been trying to compare apples to oranges.....

(Scroll down just past "Answer")

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Desserts-747/BROWNIES.htm

Tons of CC member contributed scratch cake recipes:
(Includes "moist".)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-440803-.html

Scratch baking site that I really like:

www.joyofbaking.com

Baking and Baking Science:

http://www.bakingandbakingscience.com/Cakes.htm

HTH

Thanks Jan!! You really are a wealth of information, I don't know how you do it!! icon_smile.gif

lovelytee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovelytee Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:05pm
post #141 of 181

Hi everyone,

I just want to chime in here and say that although this subject can get heated pretty quickly we all have to remember we are all on the same team icon_wink.gif . Personally, the amount of information and tips I get from here is priceless. No matter what opinion another CCer may have it should not be taken personally. The talent and generosity on this site exceeds any negativity.

Keep on Baking and Decorating those delicious/beautiful cakes icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:49pm
post #142 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

If you are lucky enough to do this for a living THEN YOU ARE BLESSED. I'm not in anyway diminishing your stresses - cuz lord knows I know it can be stressful and frustrating.

I just want to see people remember that this whole community is here for suppot and mentorship for people who love to bake. end of story.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 4:50pm
post #143 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIApastrychef

I have to agree with Kathy. While millions of people find box mixes fine, I just would rather not use them. Just a personal preference.

At the risk of categorizing anyone, would anyone agree that there is two large "teams", if you will: the hardcore bakers and the hardcore decorators?

Please don't get me wrong, I know we all strive to make really great products all around. I just think that some of our focuses are different.

Not looking to ruffle any feathers as well, just some good spirited debate icon_biggrin.gif

I think you're right...If someone asks you what you do for a living (or a hobby, whichever the case may be) do you say you're a cake decorator or a baker? I say that I'm a baker.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #144 of 181

I say I'm a kept woman.
Drives my MIL nuts!!!

costumeczar Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:32pm
post #145 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I say I'm a kept woman.
Drives my MIL nuts!!!

Ha ha ha, then it serves a purpose! icon_lol.gif

janebrophy Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 5:42pm
post #146 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

I say I'm a kept woman.
Drives my MIL nuts!!!

LMAO!!! I'm going to start using that, just for that reason! LOL!!!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 6:47pm
post #147 of 181

I can do both scratch and mix doctored equally. What is the reason people get so upset. Out of this topic! Frustrated!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #148 of 181
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIApastrychef

I think you're right...If someone asks you what you do for a living (or a hobby, whichever the case may be) do you say you're a cake decorator or a baker? I say that I'm a baker.

Me too.....Baker all the way.

CeeTee Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 7:44pm
post #149 of 181

K8Memphis is right! There's no extra, harmful chemicals in Bisquik. It's just flour, oil, leavening, sugar, and salt! They just use the scientifc names of everything to throw people off into thinking it's got scary stuff in it.

That's actually the same of box mix too. Contrary to popular belief, box mix is not laced with evil chemical agents put there by mad scientists wanting to give us cancer. But people freak out when they see things like "Xanthan Gum", "Maltodextrin", "Triethyl Citrate", "Acetic Acid", "Artifical Flavor"....

But Xanthan Gum and Maltodextrin are just kinds of sugars. Triethyl Citrate is a citric acid which stablizes egg whites. Acetic Acid is vinegar. Artifical flavor...well, y'all use extracts, right? It's the same thing.

The biggest kicker? Just about every single additive and preservative out there IS natural. But because the companies use their scientific, official names, people assume they are man-made* because, well, we ain't scientists!

* I say man-made because the majority of people associate chemicals with being something not found in nature. The reality is chemicals are natural. If anything, a chemical is as naturally pure as you can get. Everything is made of chemical compounds.

What do you call a food product which is made of malic acid, ascorbic acid, capscicum annum, and water soluable solids? A bell pepper that's been fresh picked from the ground. icon_biggrin.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #150 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee

What do you call a food product which is made of malic acid, ascorbic acid, capscicum annum, and water soluable solids? A bell pepper that's been fresh picked from the ground. icon_biggrin.gif

Love it! I may have to use that as my new signature line.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%