What Butter For Icing?

Decorating By kausha Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 6:57am by kausha

kausha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kausha Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to the cake baking and icing. Just started a year ago and I should say I manage it very well.
What my question and doubt is..what butter is best for buttercream icing? I live in Italy and shortening is not available. And when I use the normal butter and make the butter cream it isn't snow white !! its off white to a creamier color?

What could I do to have the buttercream white ( so that i cud get it to the correct colour when I collour the icing)

Hope someone replies me...

Thank you icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,

My all butter buttercream icing isn't pure white but it's pretty close. The longer you beat the butter the lighter in color it will become.

Some people add a little drop of violet coloring to make it appear whiter. Another option is a bright white coloring by Wilton that will bleach out the icing. I'm not sure if you have access to that in Italy though.

HTH

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:18am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kausha

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to the cake baking and icing. Just started a year ago and I should say I manage it very well.
What my question and doubt is..what butter is best for buttercream icing? I live in Italy and shortening is not available. And when I use the normal butter and make the butter cream it isn't snow white !! its off white to a creamier color?

What could I do to have the buttercream white ( so that i cud get it to the correct colour when I collour the icing)

Hope someone replies me...

Thank you icon_smile.gif

You cannot find white vegetable fat of any kind in Italy? I know in some parts of Europe they sell a brand called Copha which is made from coconut oil. I know in Italy you can buy Strutto, but that is pork fat...I would think there would be some brand of vegetable fat avaialble. Here in the US, most of our solid vegetable fat is made from Soybean oil, but it varies by brand exactly which type of vegetable fat is in it.

If you cannot locate any solid vegetable fat, try letting your butter soften to room temperature, then beat it on high speed with you mixer for a few minutes...it will lighten in color a lot. You may need to chill it for a bit then before making your icing. It will probably never be pure white....but the flavor butter imparts in well worth the trade off in my opinion!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:55am
post #4 of 5

I use butter too, and my icing is not super white either. You can buy either Wilton or Americolor "white" icing colour. That will help whiten your icing.

kausha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kausha Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:57am
post #5 of 5

Thaks a lot for all ur help and advise, I would try all the methods above mentioned and see what works best......icon_biggrin.gif Have a nice day and Happy Baking icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%