*opinion* Let Me Know What You Guys Think, Pleae

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 11:30pm by Uniqueask

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 29

It took me about 14 hours total time, for this cake. I'm pretty happy with it. Its for a baby shower, there are 4 blocks i the center spelling baby.

28 replies
sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 29

Its cute, the baby block seperators are a nice touch. I would put a thin ribbon around the base of your board to give a more finished look, and maybe put something on top, like a new duckie or pacifer for that little extra something.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 29

Yes, the ribbon would be a nice touch but I have to tell you I love the baby blocks in the center. I would have never thought of something like that. It's just adorable though!

d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 29

Hey thanks....the top does have some fondant decoration on it...but I agree, It could use a little something extra

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 29

Do you REALLY want an honest opionon? I see that your very happy with it, thats why I ask.

d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 29

Yes I do want an honest opinion....I'm still new to the game...so I want a true opinion of what I need to work on the most.

so yes, let me have it

PumpkinTart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PumpkinTart Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 29

I think the colors are nice and soft and I love the baby blocks in the center. My only critiques would be the flower petals (I'm guessing that's what they're supposed to be) hanging off the bottom of the top tier and the cake board/base. Maybe you could have overlapped the petals or placed them diagonally/differently for a more finished look and the base with the start piping just doesn't look as elegant as the rest of the cake.

I do like the alternating colors on the base so I would have just stopped there and shown off the color blocking or added a ribbon as others have suggested.

I think this is a great job for your first baby shower cake and your hard work shows![/u]

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 29

I like the baby blocks idea but would perhaps have used a finer icing tip for your borders and the accent on your cake board. I think it looks a little chunky for my taste and (as I need to do too) a little practice with your piping will give you a smoother line. It looks like the icing got away from you in a few places. I'm not sure I would have chosen the leaves as an accent piece for the bottom of your top tier. Also looks a little chunky for me. For a baby shower I would think more delicate accents would look appropriate. Definitely adding the ribbon at the bottom and a 3D decoration on top are great suggestions. These are my suggestions. Keep up the good work!

d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 29

Yeah, I was a bit iffy on the flower petals myself. I trimmed the fondant to the base of the cake, and not to the base of the board...so the top board shows...I had to cover it up somehow. I think it was a solid idea, but could have been executed better.

This is the first time I've decorated the board...so I was clueless on how to do it.

Thank you all so much...as I said, PLEASE let me know what you really think. You wont hurt my feelings, and it will only help me get better.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 29

i like this cake theres nothing wronge with it your new to the game in time youll get better at everything it all takes time but for a newbie its good the only thing i would say is the flower petals need to be a lil more evened and spead out

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 29

Okay, well since you said honest. I love the concept. I see where you were going with it. It needs a lot of clean up. I love how you did the cake board, but I'm assuming you piped between the lines cause the lines were not perfect. It is not flattering. If you did have neat squares then the piping isn't neccessary. The tip your using is for ruffles, it looks like you just pulled the tip instead of doing the ruffle design. The piping at the bottom of the blocks is also messy. The leaf border doesn't look right. it looks like your covering a messy bottom. Both tiers would look better with a ribbon border. Your fondant pieces need to have a similiar style and be spaced more evenly. I think you just need to think a little more on your execution of design and your design. I think you had a great design concept, you just need to put a little more thought into it.

d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 29

Well...thank you everyone for the honest opinions, really. Keep them coming if you will. Nobody is going to hurt my feelings here. I want to learn as much as I can, and you gals (and guys) are the ones who know 1000x more than I do.

here is what I've gathered so far though

Concept: Good
Execution: Poor
Colors: Good
Cake Board: Poor
Accents: Poor

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:52pm
post #13 of 29

I think more like-

Concept: great
execution: poor
colors: great
cake boardicon_surprised.gifk
accents: poor

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 29

And I love that your learning and wanting to know how to grow. thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm
post #15 of 29

I agree w/the poster who said your piping could be finer and neater.
It is a very nice start so don't mis understand what we are suggesting. Use the information for your next cake and the one after that and so on. Each cake will see an improvement.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm
post #16 of 29

I agree w/the poster who said your piping could be finer and neater.
It is a very nice start so don't mis understand what we are suggesting. Use the information for your next cake and the one after that and so on. Each cake will see an improvement.

Lou71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lou71 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm
post #17 of 29

Don't be harsh on yourself I think you are abit hard on yourself.

I think the overall design and colours are fab. Some minor points to show off the cake more...

Do not pipe on the bottom board/drum as this takes away from the lilac and pink strips, I would agree with others a small ribbon.

The blocks are a fab idea.

For the top tier I would made the petals more aligned but another thought is to have the alternate colour to match the strips and flowers.

Well done.

A tip I use that was given to me..... turn away from the cake and then turn around and look at it. What is the first thing your eyes are attrached too? If this is the item you want to stand out your cake, then leave the cake it is finished. But if it is something else, remove or soften.

Louise icon_smile.gif

CountryCakery4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CountryCakery4 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:59pm
post #18 of 29

Yup! Each cake will see improvement because each time you'll know something you didn't before! Trust me, that's how it's working for me and I'm a long way from professional at the moment!! You know, I've been thinking about taking a Wilton class for practice and tips. I've heard that they're worth the investment. Happy caking!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:03pm
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou71

A tip I use that was given to me..... turn away from the cake and then turn around and look at it. What is the first thing your eyes are attrached too? If this is the item you want to stand out your cake, then leave the cake it is finished. But if it is something else, remove or soften.
icon_smile.gif

This is an excellent tip! Thanks!

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 29

I think the colors are great and I really like the blocks. I agree with others about the piping though. It looks like you used a star tip maybe a #16 or #18, but just made lines. I think if you would have made the shell design or even small stars around the borders it would look better. I also think the leaf border takes away from the blocks, something smaller would probably look cleaner and allow the blocks to be seen better.

With practice everything will get easier, I still learn something everytime I make a cake.

d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:59pm
post #21 of 29

Thanks again guys....I know I am my own worst critic, as most of us are.

I'm bad about it though, my wife yells at me all the time. If I cook dinner, I'm never fully pleased with it, when she things its fantastic.

The way I see it...if I start to believe that what I'm doing...be it cooking, caking, or anything else...is "great" every time...then I will stop trying to get better.

I see these cakes on here that have no hint of a blemish on them anywhere. Thats what I shoot for. I know there is never a "prefect" cake...but some of these really look close!

One of these days I'll post a picture of a nearly perfect cake

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:23pm
post #22 of 29

That other cake you posted, with the beads, looked like you got the details perfect icon_biggrin.gif

This one, I think I would have added one more color to it and not done the piping on it. I don't like the look of piping on fondant, unless it's RI with a small round tip...but that's just my personal preference. To me, piping on top of fondant is like putting plastic hubcaps on a Mercedes. A frill would have been cute around the bottom edge if you wanted something softer than a ribbon.

Still, don't be so hard on yourself...it's a good job.

Another thing about fondant and girly cakes...a little sparkle never hurts! Get some luster dust for next time icon_biggrin.gif

d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Another thing about fondant and girly cakes...a little sparkle never hurts! Get some luster dust for next time icon_biggrin.gif

icon_biggrin.gif There is silver dust on top of the cake...Its my first use of dust..so I did it lightly

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:37pm
post #24 of 29

I really love the blocks! Cute idea icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:49pm
post #25 of 29

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but next time, I'd use a thicker base board. When you start working with more than one tier, the base is important in terms of providing support. Foam core board is a great base and can be cut to fit any design. It will easily withstand the weight of a two tier like yours.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:52pm
post #26 of 29

hey Jay, good to see another guy on here.

yep, girls cakes are hard.

but, you've made a good start.

the ladies have been very specific in their help.

my only advice -- avoid PINK! LOL!

it's a continuing learning process and this is a great place to learn.

d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:05pm
post #27 of 29

Hey Doug...agreed nice to see another guy around here!

I'll have to check out the foam core board mentioned...The cakes I end up doing dont ever seem to be small.

I have another cake planned...not really for anyone. More of a dedication to my wife really.

I'll see if I have the cash to do that one soon.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:08pm
post #28 of 29

hint on foam core:

dollartree -- 1 dollar a sheet..

easy to double up for extra strong (just glue the 2 sheets together -- I use spray mount glue)

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:30pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

hint on foam core:

dollartree -- 1 dollar a sheet..

easy to double up for extra strong (just glue the 2 sheets together -- I use spray mount glue)

Thank you, I never knew they sell it there, I have to check the one in my area to see if they sell it there I have been trying to find foamcore in my area for a while with no success.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%