Powdered Mess And Painting On Gunmpaste/fondant

Decorating By kristenlouise Updated 18 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm by Jeff_Arnett

kristenlouise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristenlouise Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:03am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone...couple novice questions. I made a cake with colored fondant and the powdered sugar (from being rolled out) left a mess on the cake that i just couldn't seem to clean off well. Any suggestions? Also, what do you use to paint on fondant and or gumpaste...wilton colors? Food coloring?

icon_rolleyes.gif I appreciate the advice

3 replies
cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 4:17am
post #2 of 4

I don't roll out on PS it seems to cling I use corn starch dusted lightly it brushes off easily. As for painting Wilton colors or Americolor work great but you must mix in clear alcohol or pure lemon extract.. That makes the paint dry fast and not be soggy on your fondant or GP I use everclear it is a very potent alcohol evaporates very fast HTH thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 4

Airbrush colors are great to paint on a cake with. icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 18 Sep 2009 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenlouise

Hi everyone...couple novice questions. I made a cake with colored fondant and the powdered sugar (from being rolled out) left a mess on the cake that i just couldn't seem to clean off well. Any suggestions? Also, what do you use to paint on fondant and or gumpaste...wilton colors? Food coloring?

icon_rolleyes.gif I appreciate the advice

Use some pure grain alcohol, such as Everclear. Brush it on with a paint brush....when it dries, there will be no powdered sugar mess....plus the alcohol will not damage the fondant.

To paint on fondant, I like airbrush colors thinned with a bit of alcohol as needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%