Mmf Question

Decorating By cupcakelady64 Updated 17 Sep 2009 , 2:04pm by snocilla

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 5

Can you tell me why my MMF is so dry and not pliable? I try to add crisco, but by the time I'm finished with it, it's tearing and dry again. I also tried adding a bit more marshmallows, but that just makes it sticky.

Does the C&H brand of powdered sugar really make that big a difference? Because the first time I did MMF,I used C&H but I'm having trouble finding it now. If that's the problem, I will definately look until I find it!!

4 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 5

hmmm you can try adding a tiny tiny bit of water, i use the 1 bag of minature mm's 1 bag 1 lb of con sugar store brand, 2 or three teaspoons of water in marshmallows nuke and add sugar parts at a time, i mix mine in a bowl, but i have a bad back so i sit on a blanket on the floor, i'm sure you know to grease up your hands, and you said you use crisco while working with it maybe a little, some sift and some don't i've done both, and twist turn, pull, you can nuke it for a few sec. but be careful sound like maybe a little less con sugar, i've never had a problem with this recipe, i have added a drop of water and fixed it right up hope this helps, i use the store brands, and they work fine for me.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 5

Do you add all of the ps when you make the MMF? Try adding 1 cup less when you make it. Let it rest and then check to see if it is sticky. If it is a bit sticky put a bit of shortening on your hands and knead it in.

To make the really dry fondant usable make a new batch that is really soft. Knead in the dry batch and you should have a batch that is a great consistancy.

If you don't think it will work take equal (small) amounts of both batches and knead them together. You will know if the texture will be correct for the large batch.

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 5

Hi

I always used to purchase satin ice fondant. not anymore I use the recipe in the article section here it shows you how to do it. I use whatever marshmallows and powder sugar that is on sale. I have never had a problem with it I have made about 7 batches since I tried it as I stated will never buy it premade again. Best of all the whole thing is made in microwave and with my ka. I have fibromyalgia and my hands don't work that well thats why I always bought it until I found this and all work is done with ka. icon_biggrin.gif If you have any questions feel free to ask.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 17 Sep 2009 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 5

I had a batch that was too hard like that, and I ended up throwing it away and making a new batch (with less powdered sugar)! Microwaving helps a little bit, but as soon as it cools, it starts cracking again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%