Simple Syrup

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 16 Sep 2009 , 12:16pm by Loucinda

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 15

Just curious if you use a simple syrup and how you apply it? On Amazing Wedding Cakes this past week, the girl at Chris Garren's was applying it with a squeeze bottle like you use for ketchup or mustard.

14 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 15

I use simple syrup on just about every cake (usually flavored with liqueur to complement the cake and filling flavors). I either brush it on, or use a squirt bottle with a VERY small opening (I don't want a soggy cake). Some people also like to use a spray bottle, but I haven't myself.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 15

It depends on what kind of cake I am making. Some cakes need it, others don't. So far I've always just brushed it on with a pastry brush.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 15

I simple syrup all white-based cakes and put it on with the squirt bottle. Soooo much faster than the brush. I used to use the tiny tip, but cutting it larger will give you the same results much faster as long as you can keep control of it.

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 15

What recipe do you use for your simply syrup?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 15

equal parts my volume sugar and water, flavoring to taste

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 15

I just take a spoon and swirl it all over the cake. I do not make cakes without simple syrup!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 15

How or what do you flavour it with. I've only made it with sugar and water. Can you make it with alcohol and sugar?

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 9:59pm
post #9 of 15

I found that the simple syrup made my cake tooooooo sweet. I like the idea of using it to keep a scratch cake moist, but I skip it.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Sep 2009 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 15

I do use them for some cakes & I apply with a medicine syringe.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 1:53am
post #11 of 15

What is the technical reasoning for using a simple syrup on a cake? (just curious)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 2:01am
post #12 of 15

I use a squeeze bottle. I use it for flavor enhancement.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 4:16am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

What is the technical reasoning for using a simple syrup on a cake? (just curious)

The TECHNICAL reason that simple syrups are used (mainly on scratch cakes) to help cakes retain their moisture over the course of the decorating process (cake mixes and commercially produced goods have corn syrup solids and/or other additives to help retain their moisture). This was the only method bakers and pastry chefs had "back in the day" to keep a cake moist before the advent of food additives and other products used in many commercial baked goods today to give them an extended shelf life. Simple syrup will NOT make an overbaked (and consequently dry) cake more palatable... it'll just wind up soggy. Again it's not to GIVE moisture, only to help maintain moisture.

As also mentioned, the simple syrup can be used to deliver another layer of flavor to a cake. I make my simple syrup in large batches (equal amounts by WEIGHT of sugar and water, heated until just dissolved--no need to boil) and flavor smaller portions as needed. I use extracts and liqueurs that will complement the flavor and filling of the cake. For example, a chocolate almond cake might get amaretto, godiva, or a combination. A lemon cake is delicious infused with chambord (raspberry) flavored syrup. The possibilities are endless.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 9:53am
post #14 of 15

And take a notepad when you go to the liquor store--there's tons and tons and tons of different flavors. I mean, watermelon and tea flavored and it's just amazing. And I like to get the little bitty bottles to test. Someone once recommended Hot Damn--it's a cinnamon flavor and I'm a cinnamonaholic but the HD reminded me of dental work so--test 'em out!!

My default flavor is Grand Marnier--orangey-ish.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Sep 2009 , 12:16pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you for the explanation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%