Fondant And First Wedding Cake Please Help!

Decorating By angiesapp Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm by NatalieMarie

angiesapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiesapp Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 10

I am making my neice's wedding cake and this is the first one I have ever done and am having trouble with the fondant drying out. I made a practice cake and by the time I got to the top tier the fondant was drying out and cracking. not to mention that the bottom tier is rectangle, the middle is circle and the top is a heart. I would also like to know if anyone can help with spreading the fondant easily over the heart shaped tier.

thanks for any and all help. I am making the final cake on Friday Sept. 18th for the wedding on the 19th and would love some storage ideas as well. I only have a regular household fridge and a chest freezer. can I freeze the cake?

9 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 10

Well, the fondant should dry (that is form abit of a crust) but cracking could be because the fondant was too dry when you rolled it, it wasn't kneaded enough or it was rolled abit too thick.

Are you making your own fondant? It might help to add a bit of fat/crisco to the fondant to make it more pliable. Make sure you knead it well to make it pliable, but just be aware that over kneading will cause air pockets in your fondant. I've often found that if I roll my fondant too thickly the weight of it will cause it too crack at the corners.

With a heart shaped cake, just make sure you start at the top where the heart bows in and the bottom corner point afterwards, then it's just a case of smoothing the rest of the edges.

You don't need to put your cake in the fridge, just box it up ready for assembly and you can't freeze a cake once you've iced it with fondant.

Hope this helps, good luck with your cake

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 10

Did you keep the fondant covered until it was time to roll it out for the top tier?

YOu could try kneading in some shortening, then rolling out again.

For the heart, do the point and dip first, then the sides.

angiesapp Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 10

no I didn't keep it covered, that was the problem thanks.

I bought the Wilton's fondant.

How thick should it be? the bottom layer is 19" x 13" x 2" rectangle, the middle is 10" x 2" circle and the top is 6" x 2" heart, all double layer.

NatalieMarie Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 10

I roll mine out to about an eighth of an inch.

angiesapp Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 10

thanks so much.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 10

If you could find a different fondant brand at your local cake supplies shop, many of your problems will be solved. The Wilton fondant does not taste good.

angiesapp Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 10

this isn't a very good picture but you get the idea

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 10

It's beautiful. thumbs_up.gif

NatalieMarie Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 10

wow well done, it's great!!