How To Peel The Fondant From Cake Without Taking The Frostin

Decorating By gayle1588 Updated 12 Sep 2009 , 3:03pm by gayle1588

gayle1588 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gayle1588 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:53am
post #1 of 16

I've made two cakes with fondant now and will be making my daughters wedding cake in a month. She would like the fondant peeled off before the cake is served. Is this common? I tried with the other cakes and it didn't peel too well. How can I get this to work better without messing up the frosting? thnx!

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 12:57am
post #2 of 16

"without messing up the icing" ..... do you mean without pulling the icing off and leaving a naked cake? Or are you just worried about leaving it "pretty"?

If it's the latter, I wouldn't worry about it. Once the photographer is done with the cake, I start tearing that puppy down and keeping it pretty is not even on my to-do list.

Why does she want you to go to all of that mess anyway? Each piece would only have a 1" strip of fondant on it (when cut in 1x2x4) so it'a not all that much, and if the guests don't want to eat it, then can push it aside.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:14am
post #3 of 16

I agree...you're going to have enough work serving that cake, tell your daughter not to believe all the brides forums that tell you that you have to peel off the fondant before serving the cake icon_biggrin.gif Most people are able to decide if they want to eat it or not.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:19am
post #4 of 16

Some people actually like fondant. Especially mmf ....

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 1:48am
post #5 of 16

I hate this, but my Dad likes Fondant as long as it isn't Wilton!

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #6 of 16

My Dad says fondant sucks in a big way.

He did only have wilton stuff.

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:14am
post #7 of 16

He does give me grief for the possum.

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:15am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle1588

I've made two cakes with fondant now and will be making my daughters wedding cake in a month. She would like the fondant peeled off before the cake is served. Is this common? I tried with the other cakes and it didn't peel too well. How can I get this to work better without messing up the frosting? thnx!

That's the very reason I don't use fondant to cover cakes....I think it's yucky and I don't want to serve it! Buttercream all the way! [My opinion only!]

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 16

tell your daughter whatever she wants to hear about what you will do to the fondant after you slice the cake, and then proceed to do whatever is easiest for you. At best she won't notice and at worst she won't care in the long run. As a relative new bride, and a cake person, it really is just cake. personally I quite like fondant (I am partial to Satin Ice or my own) and I've yet to have anyone other than my sister not eat it.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #10 of 16

Here is a link to a DVD by Jennifer Dontz. In the DVD she explains how to be able to use thinner fondant on your cake. She uses a good coating of bc under the fondant and adds white choc. to her fondant. I tried it on a cake I did back in June and everyone was amazed that they liked the fondant!

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=dvd001

madgeowens Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:47am
post #11 of 16

my home made fondant is yummy...and when I put chocolate or cocoa in it..mmmmm yum...but there is always gonna be some that think its gross and some think your butter cream too sweet, or not sweet enough lol...thats what makes the world go around....I would not want to peel it off a cake though to serve it....ugly

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:14am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

my home made fondant is yummy...and when I put chocolate or cocoa in it..mmmmm yum...but there is always gonna be some that think its gross and some think your butter cream too sweet, or not sweet enough lol...thats what makes the world go around....I would not want to peel it off a cake though to serve it....ugly

I am not aversed to the flavor of fondant...chocopan and a few others really taste great...it's the texture that I dislike.

madgeowens Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:35am
post #13 of 16

lol ok then there are others who wont like the texture....you can please everyone

HowCoolGomo1 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 4:54am
post #14 of 16

I have people, that love the look of fondant.

They have unfortunately tasted Wilton fondant. Not good.

They want me to do cakes with fondant, because they look cool..

They also hate the buttercream .

So they just eat the insides.

I do stuff.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 5:27am
post #15 of 16

Try Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe. It's in here DVD.

gayle1588 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gayle1588 Posted 12 Sep 2009 , 3:03pm
post #16 of 16

Thnx for your input. I think I'll leave the fondant on. I may experiment with home made fondant since wilton is the only kind i tried.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%