Sticking Tiny Mexican Modelling Paste Roses On Fondant Cake

Decorating By macnabart Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm by txnonnie

macnabart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macnabart Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

Wondering how to stick my small roses made from mexican modelling paste onto a fondant-iced cake. Ideally , I 'd like to make the 'glue' myself.
Have read that royal icing works, or 'gumpaste & water' . I don't know what gumpaste is! I would really like a recipe for making it myself.

It's my first wedding cake!
Clare icon_smile.gif

6 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,

Gumpaste is the American term for flower paste. I would use royal icing to attach them to the cake or you could use edible glue

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 7

You can make edible glue by dissolving Tylose powder in a little water.
It works a treat!

macnabart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
macnabart Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 12:21pm
post #4 of 7

HI All,

Thank you for the replies. I will try royal icing as I need to make a batch anyway for some piping on the cake.
Thanks for the tylose powder idea.. I think that's Gum Tragacanth in English English!
Many thanks,

Clare

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 9 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 7

macnabart, I know that here in Australia I can buy two different things called Tylose and Gum Traganath. I think they're slightly different but do the same thing. I know aine2 (see youtube) is in Scotland and uses Tylose and Tylopur.
I guess they could just be different brand names.
All the best,
Emma

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnabart

HI All,

Thank you for the replies. I will try royal icing as I need to make a batch anyway for some piping on the cake.
Thanks for the tylose powder idea.. I think that's Gum Tragacanth in English English!
Many thanks,

Clare

No...it isn't the same. Tylose, CMC and Tylopur are all the same.....Gum Tragacanth is different.

You can add your CMC etc. to your sugarpaste/fondant to make modelling paste and be able to use it immediately. Gum Tragacanth is a little stronger and once mixed into sugarpaste/fondant, you have to wrap it and leave it for 12 hours before use. It takes all of that time to take effect and strengthen your paste. It isn't good for modelling although some people use it. It dries your paste much too quickly to allow you to play with little details and will often crack. It is good for using in paste to make structures.

Glue can be made using CMC. etc and add water or you can mix a little fondant with water into a paste. Royal Icing is a good strong glue too, just a bit too much effort to make it for that purpose, but if you already have some available then use it.

Hope that helps you. thumbs_up.gif

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #7 of 7

I have used both edible glue and royal icing. I used royal icing on a batman cake that had to travel an hour to destination for it seems to be stronger.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%