Extreme Dry Weather - How To Prevent Fondant From Drying

Decorating By fariak Updated 10 Sep 2009 , 6:48am by fariak

fariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fariak Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 5

Hi -
I live in a desert. No jokes icon_smile.gif I promised a friend I'd make a cake for her kid. The cake is way beyond my league so want to make it a day ahead. Now I have 2 problems:
1. My refrigerator is not big enough to hold the cake - I'm thinking I'll keep it in an air conditioned room, is this going to be an issue? It's going to be for a day
2. Fondant dries out here really bad, I plan to cover it with cling wrap but even then it doesnt work. Any other suggestions? I was thinking of putting shortening on it but that might make it look shiny?? Dont know what to do.

THanks for always helping

4 replies
NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 5

If you add shortening to the fondant it will soften it but won't prevent it from drying out.

Is your cake particularly big? By accident I found that if you place your cake in a plastic container or place one upside down over your cake this will stop your fondant from drying out.

Hope this helps

nancysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancysmom Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 12:17am
post #3 of 5

sorry I can not help, We in Florida have the opposite problem it's too humid, Best of luck.

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 8 Sep 2009 , 1:38am
post #4 of 5

I live in Phoenix, where it's typically extremely dry. Bottom line, the fondant will dry out. But it won't dry out all the way, and the drying that happens isn't a bad thing. I sometimes have problems with cracking on the edge of the cake when I use Satin Ice (I have bad luck with that brand), or when I roll the fondant improperly, but your whole cake won't start to crack and craze. It'll just harden slightly on the very outer edge. That's what fondant does. Don't bother trying to fight it.

fariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fariak Posted 10 Sep 2009 , 6:48am
post #5 of 5

thank you for all the replies. The fondant did dry out. Although i put an entire roll of cling wrap on it. The cake was too big to fit in a plastic container. Oh well... I dont think the kids noticed icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%