Which Fondant Is Best?

Decorating By emma_jada Updated 7 Sep 2009 , 2:23am by JodieF

emma_jada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_jada Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 15

I'm sure there are probably 10 other posts asking this same question, but i have searched and not found a thing... and it is getting late.

i have an order coming up for a fondant covered, 2 tier cake. i have only worked with wilton fondant and MMF before. The MMF was horrible to cover a cake with (at least for me, fairly a newbie), but the wilton tasted like wax. Is Satin Ice fondant the same? What kind of fondant is easy to cover with and tastes decent?

Thanks.

14 replies
KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:57am
post #2 of 15

I like the taste of Choco-Pan the best, but I personally thought it was too sticky and hard to work with. Satin Ice tastes good and is extremely easy to work with. My son steals bits of Satin Ice everytime I do a cake!

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:21am
post #3 of 15

I really like Fondarific. Tha buttercream flavor is good and their chocolate taste just like a tootsie roll. It is very easy to roll out just soften in microwave for about 20 seconds.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 4:50am
post #4 of 15

work fast with satin ice.. or it can wrinkle on you like elephant skin.. i use shortening on my hands,etc. like you are suppose to.. kneaded it.. kneaded it.. like you are suppose to.. then had that wrinkle problem really fast. i do love pettinice too. over satin ice.. tastes great. havent, used fonderific. i tasted it at the convention.. it was good.. choco pan taste great.. very soft.. hth

Iva1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iva1976 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:07am
post #5 of 15

I use satin ice and it's pretty easy to work with but you have to work fast because it dries out quickly. I have also worked with fondarific and IMO it's so much better than satin ice. It tastes better and is much easier to work with. You can roll it out and walk away for minutes and it won't dry out! The only downside fondarific has is that it is too expensive...

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 5:37am
post #6 of 15

I like Satin Ice. I've only used one other brand, though (Ice n' Easy) and I really didn't like it as much.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 6:57am
post #7 of 15

I like MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) for homemade, I've made MMF but found it to be a bit too sweet and messy to make. For commercial I use Satin Ice - I have tried Wilton and agree that it tastes absolutely horrible but on the other hand it was really easy to work with and a great place for me to get the feel of fondant (only purchased it the one time though...).

If you find that your fondant is to soft you could do as BlakesCakes does and mix 2/3 of Satin Ice with 1/3 Wilton. She says it doesn't compromise the taste but is much easier to work with and cheaper to boot. I haven't tried it myself so am just passing on the info.

Edited to add:

Although I haven't tried Choco-Pan yet I do plan on it. They have sample sizes for $1.00 plus S&H (3 oz of all 6 flavours).

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 8:46am
post #8 of 15

I love MFF. I have had a problem with only one batch, and that was a chocolate batch where I added too much cocoa. It tastes great.

I've never used Satin Ice on a cake, but I purchased a small amount just to see, touch and taste it. It was so smooth and pretty, and it tasted strongly of marshmallow... so strongly of marshmallow that I won't use it on a cake unless that is specifically the taste I want!

To each his own... the only real answer to this question will vary on personal taste and experience.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 15

I use Satin Ice but I'm not really loving the taste--maybe because I smell it too much.

I suggest you try Chocopan or Jennifer Dontz's semi homemade recipe. You will have to purchase her DVD to get the recipe.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 4 Sep 2009 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 15

Edited to add:

Although I haven't tried Choco-Pan yet I do plan on it. They have sample sizes for $1.00 plus S&H (3 oz of all 6 flavours).[/quote]

Hello xsticher,
Where can I order a sample size of the Choco-Pan? I have heard that it does taste better than the Satin Ice. I do like the Fondarific but as it was mentioned it is a little more expensive so I'am looking for an alternative to offer my customers that have a limited budget

alexj9988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alexj9988 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 12:56am
post #11 of 15

I simply cannot afford the pre made. The only pre-made fondant I can get locally is wilton, and it tastes like crap. Shipping costs on 10 to 15 lbs of fondant are just awful, so I make my own. I have finally worked out a recipe that works great for me, but you really need a commercial stand mixer with a dough hook, otherwise, it would take forever! I can post my recipe if you like.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 7:37am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Treats_1

Edited to add:

Although I haven't tried Choco-Pan yet I do plan on it. They have sample sizes for $1.00 plus S&H (3 oz of all 6 flavours).

Hello xsticher,
Where can I order a sample size of the Choco-Pan? I have heard that it does taste better than the . I do like the Fondarific but as it was mentioned it is a little more expensive so I'am looking for an alternative to offer my customers that have a limited budget[/quote]

Sorry Sweet_Treats I was busy all day (Sat) with the family so didn't get on. Here's the link:
http://www.choco-pan.com/shop/p10/Sample-Pack/product_info.html

HTH!

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 15

I've tried so many brands and Fondarific beats them all IMO. I like the fact that it stays workable for much longer than the others and no cracking. The buttercream flavor is very tasty but they carry other flavors/colors as well that are very palatable. Definitely more expensive though! The ladies there are so nice to work with also.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 6 Sep 2009 , 8:54pm
post #14 of 15

I have used Wilton, Satin ice, and made MMF. They are all easy enough to work with for me, but it all comes down to taste. I haven't tried any other kind so I can not speak of those, but

To me they are all awful, it is the texture more than the actual taste. So I will be making my own from now on, since it is just so much cheaper (PITA yes, but cheaper).

Fondant is like chewing a piece of gum that you found in the bottom of your purse. The gum is hot and smushed and with every chomp in your mouth it seems to disappear a little more.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 7 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #15 of 15

intotheoven shipping is awesome. I just ordered 5 pounds of Satin Ice, a bunch of dusts and gel colors and some cutters tonight. I choose 3 day shipping and it was $11. It was very reasonable. If I hadn't wanted 3 day it would have been $8.

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%