Cakes Mixes And Frozen Cakes

Decorating By Motta Updated 1 Sep 2009 , 4:55am by Motta

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 11:12pm
post #31 of 37

I ice my cakes frozen--everybody does it different.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:21am
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Sorry Mike but if the moisture escapes while sitting on a counter top the cake is dryer, as well as much of the flavor going right out with the steam. When you trap the moisture inside, the cake is moister, no illusion about it.

Don't level the cake until it's cooled, then the moisture/steam is trapped in the cake. Would that work?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 12:28am
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Sorry Mike but if the moisture escapes while sitting on a counter top the cake is dryer, as well as much of the flavor going right out with the steam. When you trap the moisture inside, the cake is moister, no illusion about it.

Don't level the cake until it's cooled, then the moisture/steam is trapped in the cake. Would that work?

Ever see that puddle of water under a cake that's sitting on a cooling rack? Know what that's from? Its from the steam escaping from the BOTTOM of the cake. icon_razz.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 1:31am
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motta

People who have tasted my cakes that came from a box mix base (eg. WASC) have LOVED them! The stuff I make from scratch is not always enjoyed so the box mix creations are most popular. I want to use the mixes in my business but I am aware of the public's perception that "scratch" cakes are better somehow.

Also, my cakes turn out most flavourful and moist when frozen soon after baking and kept frozen overnight (there was a thread about this a couple months ago). I know people don't want to know that their cake was ever frozen.

Any input on how to answer questions pertaining to these to 2 "hot button" topics? I was thinking of just saying my cakes are "home-made using fresh ingredients" (true). I was also thinking of saying my "cakes are made fresh for your special occasion" (also true). What do you think??

I really see this as two different things...most people's idea of frozen is that the cakes are made by some bakery supply and arrive on a truck....much as they do in most grocery store bakeries. I see no problem in feezing a cake overnight to make it easy to handle....that is not long term storage. How about saying you cakes are "baked to order using the best ingredients available"?

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #35 of 37

Thanks Jeff! I like how you phrased it. I know I don't have to mention frozen or not but in case someone asks.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:42am
post #36 of 37

I've been letting my cakes sit for 10-15 min before taking them out of the pans, wrapping them and freezing them. I'm curious when people are saying they freeze them within a minute or two of coming out of the oven...do you freeze them in the pan with plastic wrap covering it??? - or do you take it out of the pan after only a minute or so?! - I would be concerned about the stability of the cake coming right out of the oven.

And, if you freeze it in the pan, are there any issues with getting it out of the pan once it's thawed? - or do you pop it out after it's frozen and re-wrap it??

Thanks for the tips!! icon_smile.gif

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 4:55am
post #37 of 37

I find if I put them into plastic wrap (Glad Press N Seal) they tend to get wrinkle lines on them and they can lose some uniformity in the circumference as well, meaning that one side could be dented in slightly. I did freeze some in the pans and they turned out well. I found that I had to warm the bottom of the pan with a hot cloth before the cake slid out easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%