3Rd Wedding Cake - Went A Lot Better!!

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 12:06pm by Jeff_Arnett

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone, just wanted to update you all. i had done my first 2 wedding cakes and found it so difficult, timeconsuming and disappointing i had intended to only do the 4 i was already booked for and then not do anymore.....but this was my third one this week and it went soo much better.

firstly when i baked my cakes i wrapped them for 12 hours and then levelled and torted and stacked the 2 2 inch sponges and then wrapped them again and froze them...this saved me soooo much time as when it came to the decorating night i was able to just unwrap and start into filling and sugar syruping. the first wedding cakes i did i had to start from scratch so it seemed like such a long time before i even got near this point!

also i made up all my liquid ingredients so i would be able to keep the icing all the same shade but covered 2 tiers one night and two the next night and each night i did the fondant draping and lillies. the design of the cake was a godsend. i hadnt tried draping before but i love it, it looks so classy and covers up spots youd rather not have visible. then tonight i delivered and set up the cake.
it was definitly all a lot easier and i suppose i was more confident since i knew the last two had stayed up, etc and the brides had been happy so that helped. it was still stressfull setting up the cake and all the fiddly stuff like dowels is time consuming but im pretty pleased with the result so i think il take on a couple more if they come along (though i turned down two topsy turvey wedding cakes....nerves definitly wouldnt handle it).

here is the cake below. 3 madeira jam and buttercream tiers, one chocolate - each with 5 layers of buttercream. handmade fondant and buttercream, scratch cakes, gumpaste mix draping and lillies.

thanks for looking and thanks for all your support in the last couple of weeks.
LL

8 replies
Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 9

I think it's quite pretty!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 9

It's beautiful! Great job on it!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 9

Your cake is lovely! I am wanting to try this style for some friends' 25th ann. What fondant recipe did you use?

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 9

It looks beautiful, you should be very proud of yourself. Of course it's goign to take a couple times before you get the hang of it and the timing!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 9

Gorgeous! I have only done 1 wedding cake. I said it would be the only 1 I would ever do, but now my nephew is getting married in May and they want me to do his cake. I also just heard I have a neice getting engaged. (Shhh! She doesn't know it yet!) icon_lol.gif I have a feeling I'll be getting a call about that one too! Luckily I will be taking a Wedding Cake class the 1st week in October. I'm hoping it will make the next 2 cakes go easier!

Congratulations on such a beautiful cake. You should definitely not quit doing them! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 9

Yeaahhhhh Cathy!!! Great job woman!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 1:08am
post #8 of 9

You did and awesome job! The white on white is awesome. The fondant work is GREAT!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 12:06pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy24

Hi everyone, just wanted to update you all. i had done my first 2 wedding cakes and found it so difficult, timeconsuming and disappointing i had intended to only do the 4 i was already booked for and then not do anymore.....but this was my third one this week and it went soo much better.

firstly when i baked my cakes i wrapped them for 12 hours and then levelled and torted and stacked the 2 2 inch sponges and then wrapped them again and froze them...this saved me soooo much time as when it came to the decorating night i was able to just unwrap and start into filling and sugar syruping. the first wedding cakes i did i had to start from scratch so it seemed like such a long time before i even got near this point!

also i made up all my liquid ingredients so i would be able to keep the icing all the same shade but covered 2 tiers one night and two the next night and each night i did the fondant draping and lillies. the design of the cake was a godsend. i hadnt tried draping before but i love it, it looks so classy and covers up spots youd rather not have visible. then tonight i delivered and set up the cake.
it was definitly all a lot easier and i suppose i was more confident since i knew the last two had stayed up, etc and the brides had been happy so that helped. it was still stressfull setting up the cake and all the fiddly stuff like dowels is time consuming but im pretty pleased with the result so i think il take on a couple more if they come along (though i turned down two topsy turvey wedding cakes....nerves definitly wouldnt handle it).

here is the cake below. 3 madeira jam and buttercream tiers, one chocolate - each with 5 layers of buttercream. handmade fondant and buttercream, scratch cakes, gumpaste mix draping and lillies.

thanks for looking and thanks for all your support in the last couple of weeks.

First of all, your cake is beautiful. You will find that production time will get better and better as you learn what works for you and what doesn't.....but don't give up....the wedding cake business can bring in a whole lot of money!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%