Real Ribbon Around A Buttercream Cake...

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 27 Aug 2009 , 1:50am by cherryz

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 6

When putting a real ribbon (100% Polyester in brown) around a buttercream cake, is there a way to make it so the grease doesn't wreck the ribbon? I remember hearing once to put some wax paper (the same size of the ribbon) behind it. Any other ideas or concerns I should know aobut? Thanks!

5 replies
starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 6

I put ribbon around a buttercream cake one time and did not have any problems. I made sure the buttercream was "crusted" as much as possible. I don't know if that made a difference or not. HTH!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 6

if you make sure your buttercream isn't "moist" then you should be fine. YOu want to make sure you have somewhat of a crust or that it has "aired out" for a bit...

Otherwise, the wax paper is an idea but I have not tried it.......I do know several people that have done it and it worked for them!!!!

gwright0906 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gwright0906 Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:12am
post #4 of 6

I also let my buttercream crust before adding the ribbon...sheer ribbon works really well with nothing on the back of it.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:35am
post #5 of 6

i put ribbon onto buttercream after it crusted, but still had a problem. so from now on i add backing to it...plus it makes it stiffer and stands up nicer. icon_wink.gif

cherryz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherryz Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 6

i just place a satin (not the textile textured) blue-green ribbon last tuesday.. it glides well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%