What Do You Do Full Time??

Lounge By diane Updated 2 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm by mightydragon663

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 18

who here is not a full time cake decorator??

what is your full time job and are you happy with it?? icon_confused.gif

i'm torn between cakes and teaching. i'm going to school to become an elementary teacher, but i still wish i could do cakes full time. i'm torn between the two. i've always wanted to teach and i've always wanted to do cakes.... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif so undecided!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

17 replies
CupCake_Caitlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupCake_Caitlin Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 18

I'm not - I'm a Receptionist...

I always hoped that one day I could return to baking and decorating, its been my dream, I stopped once I started working. I always thought that after the first Bubby and I'm no longer working I could Attempt to squeeze in some baking time. But Everyone who has had children laughs at me...

the only free time I get, I should be maintaining the house. My mother had Four kids and fitted in SOME cooking time.
Its so sad that my working time gets in the way of a dream, but I need money!!

I feel for you... Its sad

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 18

I am a full-time mommy.

Sometimes I am happy with it, and other times I wish I could go back to work. I've always worked in retail and right now I can't stand up for more than about an hour at a time, so I can't do the jobs I'm used to doing, or lots of others.

I would like to find a job in a bakery, but I'm not sure I'd want my own cake business..I think the details would take the fun out of it.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:23am
post #4 of 18

Supposedly I am a full-time substitute elementary teacher, but last year (and so far this year), it's been less than part time. I'm trying to find a new or supplementary job, but with the way the economy is, I'm not having much luck. At least I've got plenty of time on my hands to work on my 2 books (novel and cookbook).

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 18

I was a full time care giver. Right now, I am a full time sleeper.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 18

I'm an (almost) full-time volunteer. Some of the things I do are tutoring ESL, working at the homeless shelter, staffing the local food pantry and doing speaking engagements all over the county about the pantry and its other services, teaching the 3 & 4-year old Sunday School class, and doing data input at a social service agency. I also belong to several civic groups that raise money for different good causes.

I actually was trained as a French teacher, but did it for one year and ran screaming for my life! Then I was a stay-at-home mom, but now both kids are in their mid 20's.

I bake cakes for fun, at the request of friends and family. Most people insist on paying me, so I tell them to bypass me and make a donation in my honor to the food pantry.

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 2:49am
post #7 of 18

I am an operating room tech full time but I would love to do cakes full time. Even my bosses want to know why I dont do it full time I just laugh and tell them that they would miss me too much LOL in reality though I would jump at the chance to have my own business Cooking and playing in the kitchen all day long yeah that is what I would like My own little resturanrt/sweet shop Oh well mabey someday icon_wink.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:08am
post #8 of 18

I am a high school teacher (Career and Personal Planning) and I LOVE IT! I would love to have more reasons to make cakes, though.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 10:44am
post #9 of 18

I am a full time stay at home mom / homemaker / whatever is cool to call it these days. When my youngest goes to school, I am torn between pursuing cakes full time and returning to college to be a teacher. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

icon_wink.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:42pm
post #10 of 18

I am the director of Human resources for a bank holding company. I've been in HR for nearly 20 years, been in this company for 32. However, my formal education was in computer science. A strange twist of circumstances led me to HR function.

I'm ready to give it up, just can't quite afford to right now with the huge hit to the 401(k). I'm dreaming of and planning a licensed kitchen in my basement. I really want to do cakes at a pace just slightly more brisk than leisurely when I retire! One or two wedding cakes per month would make me quite happy. I know that's a lot of money to set up a kitchen just for a couple cakes per month - but hey, I'd spend it on some other hobby anyway... and I plan to die right there in that very house...

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

I am a full time stay at home mom / homemaker / whatever is cool to call it these days. When my youngest goes to school, I am torn between pursuing cakes full time and returning to college to be a teacher. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

icon_wink.gif

i feel ya...i'm torn between the two! icon_redface.gif

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 18

I work outside the home at a CPA firm...full time May - December. Full time plus January - April. I would love to bake and decorate full time, but alas...reality is that I have to help bring home the dough!!! Someday when I retire I will reverse and bake full instead of part time, lol!

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 27 Aug 2009 , 11:50pm
post #13 of 18

My full time job is a case administrator for a Ch. 13 trustee - very stressful and very over-worked so not much time to do cakes - really just do cakes as a hobby for family and sometimes a friend when I'm in the mood.

kellyanne1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyanne1981 Posted 1 Sep 2009 , 9:00pm
post #14 of 18

Im an enforcement officer - i work with police and other agencies to deter people from anti-social behaviour and if this does not work i compile evidence together to get and Anti Social Behaviour Order. I am also (and most importantly) mum to a gorgeous little boy who turns 3 in october
i bake cake to relieve the stress!!! icon_biggrin.gif

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 12:51am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

I am a full time stay at home mom / homemaker / whatever is cool to call it these days.

Domestic Engineer

Me too, I just volunteered to help at my daughters school for just about anything. So we will see how that goes. I'm usually not very fond of other peoples children, hehe.

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 9:08pm
post #16 of 18

I'm a family physician, and I cannot wait to start pastry school in January. I intend to become a full time pastry chef and ditch medicine altogether. I' ve heard so many people say "If you love what you do, you will never work a day in your life." Sometimes, I don't even like what I do, let alone love it. It is definately time for a change. Wooo Hooo! icon_biggrin.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:01pm
post #17 of 18

Gee, Mightydragon, you don't say where you're from -- I hope you're not my family physician because I like her and I'd hate to see her go!

It's nice that you found your passion and are embarking on a second career. Happy caking!! icon_smile.gif

mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 2 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #18 of 18

Let's just say I'm don't live in IL. Just to be safe. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%