Help! 1St Time Gumpaste Shoe For Saturday!!

Decorating By sweetiesbykim Updated 25 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm by diane

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 5

I have an order/auction winner for a 35 serving shoe box cake with stenciled damask on the sides of the fondant. I have to tackle that for the first time, but have SugarShack's Boxes and Bows DVD, so will follow a simple version for the box.

I have the JEM shoe cutter set, but the gumpaste heel keeps sticking in the mold. I tried cornstarch but still sticks at the top wide part. Shortening makes it stick at the top, too. I'd also like to create a higher heel, but will settle for the molded shape just to get it done!

I was going to cut a template from a real shoe, starting with the pattern from a Dr Sholl's insert, but I can't see making a perfect heel that would fit the curve and shape of the shoe. HELP!! icon_cry.gif
LL

4 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 5

Nati has a great tutorial for a gumpaste shoe here:

http://www.how2cakes.com/shoe.html

it has a template that you may be able to use with your own design.

Good luck!

sweetiesbykim Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks cupcakemkr! I still like a skinnier heel, like on normal strapy heels, but this looks do-able. My perfectionist personality gets in the way BIG TIME with these projects of mine. I'm looking at the real shoe, and think it has to look the same, with the same angles and thicknesses of the real thing.
I've been looking at really great cake pics for so many years, I can't see a cake from a newbie customer's point of view. I just see the rough edges and blotchy colors. I'll have to work on that icon_smile.gif

sweetiesbykim Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 5

Does anyone know of a high heel mold to use for gum paste or chocolate shoes?

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakemkr

Nati has a great tutorial for a gumpaste shoe here:

http://www.how2cakes.com/shoe.html

it has a template that you may be able to use with your own design.

Good luck!

i also used this tutorial for the last cake i made and i had no problems with it whatsoever. you have to make the heel yourself...it's not that hard. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%