Some Opinions Please

Decorating By kayla1505 Updated 28 Aug 2009 , 8:26pm by kayla1505

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 23

Hey everyone I have a favor to ask.

I've uploaded some of my lastest cakes today and I would really like some professional opinons.

I've been bakeing and decorating for about 3 years now.

I'm going to apply for a job at this bakery and I'm afarid maybe my work isn't good enough.

I've never really worked at a bakery, only a 3 month externship last year and I wasn't getting paid so I don't think that really counts.

I would appreciate some honest feedback

Thank you

22 replies
3SheetCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3SheetCakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:21am
post #2 of 23

I'm no pro, but your cakes look awesome. I think they'd be crazy to not hire you. Good work and good luck!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #3 of 23

You're hired!!! icon_lol.gif

Seriously, you do beautiful work and any bakery would be lucky to have you on their staff!

Good luck I hope you get the job!

kayla1505 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:30am
post #4 of 23

Thank you I'm alittle nervous.

When I worked at my internship site, it was for 3 months and if they liked my work they were supposed to hire me. But they decided not to. so I took that as either 1) they didnt like my work or 2) the were to cheap to hire me and only wanted the free labor for 3 months icon_sad.gif

Then I met with this other bakery owner and she hired me to remake all of her display cakes. But she didnt wanna hire me to work in her bakey because she said she hardly got any fondant orders. she also thought $10 an hour was too much to pay me.
Everytime I brought in a dummy cake , she had this face like if she didnt like them, and she complained about them.
For example , Bella's New Moon birthday cake in my pictures , she thought the flowers didnt match the cake. and on the white wedding dress dummy cake , she said it was colorful enough. In my mind I'm like " its supposed to be a white wedding gown, how much color could it need ?"
So she calls me once in a blue moon to make her a cake.

Then I sent in my resume and pics to and bakery that was looking for someone and they never called me. icon_sad.gif

So this is the 4th bakery I'm gonna call and I'm feeling like maybe I shouldnt even bother.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 5:48am
post #5 of 23

The woman is a Neanderthal. Those cakes are gorgeous. Your work is really nice, and I mean that. If I thought they were not good, I just would not have commented.

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:04am
post #6 of 23

I think your cakes are beautiful!!! They would be crazy not to hire you!!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:12am
post #7 of 23

I've seen your work before Kayla and I've always thought you were a great decorator. I hope you get the next job but either way don't give up. Your sure to get a job as a decorator sooner or later!

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:31am
post #8 of 23

Your cakes are GORGEOUS!! Keep trying! thumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #9 of 23

Kayla your work is gorgeous! I hope you charged them an arm and a leg for those dummies, they are beautiful.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 23

Okay Kayla, I just took a look at some of your pics. I recognized some of your work because I've admired it before. You have a ton of talent and obviously take great pride in what you do. Your cakes are beautiful.

My opinion on the particular woman you mentioned is that she is maybe not up with latest trends based on her comments and the fact that she says she doesn't do much fondant. My other thought is that she is afraid you are a better decorator and maybe is threatened by that. Don't sell yourself short. Hold out for a bakery that is going to appreciate a "rising star". Your work is very marketable and could make any bakery some good profit. Some people are afraid to hire anyone too good because they are getting by with what they offer and don't want to pay you what you're worth. Just know you are plenty good enough and deserve a great place to showcase your talent and a great paycheck to go along with it!

tab_stout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tab_stout Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:18pm
post #11 of 23

Your cakes are amazing!! I actually already had some of your cakes saved to my favorites before you posted this. (and I think I will be adding a couple more - now that I've seen them) You should be able to get a good job easily. I wish my cakes looked this good.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:21pm
post #12 of 23

First off Kayla your work is AMAZING! Truly it is. You have demonstrated that you know your tools and techniques and have a good eye for design.

As far as $10 being too much to pay, around here the average "good" bakery pays from $12 to $16/hour TO START and I live in the state with the highest unemployment rate in the nation. icon_confused.gif So if we can get that kind of $$$ certainly you can. Don't sell yourself short!!

Another thing about bakeries, they want speed, not pretty. I know, it bites but it's true. Fondant extravaganzas are not going to appeal to them when they want "bob's birthday cake ready to go" for the average joe (or bob as the case may be...) icon_rolleyes.gif

People go to bakeries because they have a preconceived notion of what a "birthday cake" or "wedding cake" is. They aren't looking for the latest Alan Dunn creation and most have no clue what can be done with cake. When I told a friend of mine that "purse cakes are all the rage right now" they said "a purse cake?" "Yes, we can make cakes to look like purses." icon_cool.gif "You can????" WOW!! icon_eek.gif They had NO IDEA this could even be done, let alone how common it is. People go to independent bakers and home bakers to get something unique. So that's just something to think about. I had one bakery not hire me once because she said my work is great but she didn't have the time for me to make the gumpaste flowers and such that go into those kinds of cakes.

But no matter what happens, you have nothing to be ashamed of, your work is truly AMAZING! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #13 of 23

Have you *really* checked you pix? Look at how many views *and* favs you have!
That should tell you you are doing good work.
Everyone has different taste - both in food and looks (for lack of a better word) so that lady who you made display cakes for is probably wanting more 'old-fashioned' designs. Does she display them?? Does she decorate her orders like them?
alanaj is right, as are the others. Keep knocking at doors. Someone will see your talent.

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 23

Your cakes are amazing. I wouldn't take the bakery lady's comments to heart. It sounds like she is just out of touch with current cake trends.

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:30pm
post #15 of 23

Are you kidding me? You're asking if you're good enough? Stop it right now!
I think those people are maybe intimidated by your talent. They can't afford to pay you for your skills and talent. Seems to me you produce work that they don't have clientel for, which leaves a market just for you. So why do you want to work where your talent is not appreciated?

This woman has your WORK in her display case, (indirectly say to potential customer that this is what I produce) but thinks that THIS WORK is not worth $10 an hour? Does she think that her work is not worth $10 an hour (even if she maybe asking for less).
Yet she calls you when she needs one of your creations. humm, don't know about you but this says something to me.

With a portfolio like yours , I think your're good enough for any bakery. Honestly, with a porfolio like yours, I would be looking to work for myself. There's a place for you talent, you just have to make it fit.

LOL.. I still can't believe you asked if you're good enough.

teachingmyself Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachingmyself Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:35pm
post #16 of 23

Maybe you can talk to the owners and have them hire you on as a specialty cake maker. Put a book of your cakes out front for customers to look at, maybe the owners can even advertise as having a specialty cake maker, but you would also still do the more "standard" cakes too.

Your cakes are awesome! Start your own business!

kayla1505 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:25pm
post #17 of 23

aww you guys made me cry icon_smile.gif

I guess its becuase I keep getting turned down.

And while family and friends always give me good feedback.I could give them a cake that I know isnt my best work and they they still love it.

All I've gotten was negative feedback from the past two bakeries. I understand contructive critism but there was never and positive feedback either.

And since I dont have much experiance I thought maybe $10 an hour was too much.

Im only 23, I've only been doing this for 3 years. And like I said the only bakery experiance I have is at my 3 month externship site.

I wish I could start my own business but florida is impossible to have a legal home kitchen. and I dont have the money to to start a business.

Ive tried asking people about renting their kitchen a 2-3 days a week and they look at me like I'm crazy.

As for the dummy cakes she only wanted to pay me $60 for each one, but she bought the dummies and the fondant. I didnt want to do it at that price but we were in a bad spot and I wanted to help my mom pay the bills.

Anyway I just emailed my resume and pictures to another bakery, lets hope they call me

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 6:32pm
post #18 of 23

I'd hire you.

kayla1505 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:07pm
post #19 of 23

well I didnt get the job icon_sad.gif she wanted someone with alot of buttercream experiance only, not fondant work

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:25pm
post #20 of 23

I'm sorry to hear that. You do GREAT work. I really hate to see how cheaply the lady charged you for them dummies. Though I wonder what shes gonna do if someine comes in asked her to do one of those cakes? She's not going to be able to do it and if she calls you back,DO NOT take less then $15 an hr. Yes, you can get that. She may say no, but if you take less, cause she offers it to you, she's always gonna be trying to get over on you. Just a thought and Good Luck!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 2:50pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj

says she doesn't do much fondant. My other thought is that she is afraid you are a better decorator and maybe is threatened by that.

I agree that she is threatened by your tremendous talent. Someone will hire you - and it will be somewhere that you can really shine and use your talent.

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 3:35pm
post #22 of 23

hmmmmmmmmm - you can put your great looking cakes in my window (which says look at our fantastic work - please come in).
Now they are in my store and I can sell them MY cakes.
What a cheap way of advertising!
And I don't have to pay someone to be here unless the customer wants a cake like it.
What a way to save me some money!
And I won't put your name on the cake anywhere so the customers will think its my work!

Wake up girl - your work is great and you are being taken advantage of.

kayla1505 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 8:26pm
post #23 of 23

it really hurt to give those dummies away, she was lucky cuz she caught me at a time where I couldnt say no

but if she calls again, its gonna be a big NO. at least not for that price

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%