Pasta Machine?

Decorating By scrappin-baker Updated 26 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm by shelbymama

scrappin-baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrappin-baker Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 20

Hello, I am new to this forum and actually new to cake decorating. I have actually not started yet as I am trying to purchase some essentials for this new venture of mine. Anyway, I was wondering if someone or "somebodies" could suggest a pasta machine that I will be using to roll gumpaste? I have looked at several of them from different sites and I am at a standstill. Please may I have some input?

19 replies
jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 20

I just got a little hand crank one from the craft store in the clay aisle. With a 50% off coupon it's a great deal.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 20

I have a hand crank also. I love it. Mine was also from the craft area. It does everything I need it to do.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 20

Welcome to CC! I don't have an answer for you; but I just wanted to say "you go girl" ... just getting started and already ready to try gumpaste!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 20

Yep. I think I've got that same pasta machine. Use it ALL the time.

scrappin-baker Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 20

Thanks ladies.... Little Linda, yea I did get ahead of myself. First I bought the DVD by Linda McClure that teaches you how to use your cricut to cut out cake decorations. After viewing the dvd I ordered gumpaste and the deep cutting blade housing for the Cricut. Then today I signed up for Wilton classes at Michael's starting Sept.3. So I guess you can say I started backwards. I can not wait to get started.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 20

Mine is the kitchenaide attachment. You unscrew that thingy on the front and screw the "pasta roller" attachment in. Then turn on your mixer and off it goes. I like it being electric.

NYCGiGi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYCGiGi Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 20

OMG, the clay department! I NEVER thought of that. I just looked online at AC Moore and there is a ton of stuff you could use for cakes. I can't wait!!!

scrappin-baker Posted 24 Aug 2009 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 20

icon_sad.gif ... Kitchenaid is sooooooooooooooooooo expensive.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #10 of 20

I have an atlas, its portable, got it on sale at my local true value hardware store years ago. Added a motor later when i could afford it

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:42am
post #11 of 20

I bought a hand roller pasta machine for clay 40% at Michael's, didn't work. Took that back and got another, it didn't work much better. I gave up. I roll it out by hand.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 12:51am
post #12 of 20

I have one by "Primeria"....which looks a lot like the clay one from Michaels.

You just have to make sure you use LOTS of powdered sugar, or it will stick and get a very weird texture.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 25 Aug 2009 , 1:04am
post #13 of 20

The kitchenaide pasta roller runs about $80 - my mom, who never knows what to get me for Christmas, got it for me. She thought it was a strange gift, but honestly every time I use I think of her!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 3:53am
post #14 of 20

Check out Ross, Marshalls or Tj Max. I got mines at Ross for $20 and it works great.

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:51pm
post #15 of 20

I have an old Atlas pasta machine that I dug up out of the basement. Had not used it in years. I am going to purchase a motor for it this week, not the Atlas brand (too expensive!!), but another brand available on eBay. The seller said because my model is older I will have to drill some holes to mount the motor, but that doesn't deter me (all four of the drills in my household belong to ME! - all those fancy gourmet whisks belong to HIM!).

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 12:58pm
post #16 of 20

I really need to get a pasta roller. And if I ever get around to opening a business, I need to buy a sheeter. Hehe.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:09pm
post #17 of 20

I got the clay one too, from CK products, for $20 and thought it looked cheap, but now that so many people have it I will try it.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 1:12pm
post #18 of 20

I've had an Atlas for years, and actually use it quite a bit to make pasta. It's only recently that I've been using it for fondant/gumpaste and it works great. Makes ribbons and bows look very nice--consistent thickness all the way around. Also, I find that if I use cornstarch instead of powdered sugar, I have to use MUCH less and it doesn't dry out my fondant/gumpaste nearly as much. Also, less cleaning to do when I turn around and use it to make a batch of fresh pasta! I ordered mine on-line many years ago. Worth it's weight!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:06pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I really need to get a pasta roller. And if I ever get around to opening a business, I need to buy a sheeter. Hehe.

Aren't those sheeters awesome!

shelbymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbymama Posted 26 Aug 2009 , 7:23pm
post #20 of 20

I was just thinking about this yesterday! I wasn't sure about the performance of each but now I think I will go ahead and try the craft one first before I splurge on the KA attachment! thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%