Help With Sticky Fondant

Decorating By stephanievo5 Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 3:44am by madgeowens

stephanievo5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanievo5 Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 6

I love working with fondant but after I put it on the cake is gets very shiny and sticky. After a couple of hours it dry's nice. but my question is........is this normal or should I be adding a bit of gum tex to my fondant to keep it dry while working with it. I'm using a MMF. Thanks everyone! icon_cry.gif

5 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #2 of 6

i wouldn't add gumtex if it is going to be consumed. gumtex is used when making figures, stuff that people wouldn't really eat. it sounds like you need to add more powdered sugar or let it sit for a day. when i make mmf, i don't use it until the next day. by then it is nice and workable and not sticky. thumbs_up.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:25am
post #3 of 6

I had the same issue with my fondant just this weekend. It was sticking to my table, my hands, everything. I just kept kneading some powdered sugar into it until it was the right consistency.

stephanievo5 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:16am
post #4 of 6

It was super to work with. But after I got it on the cake. It almost looked wet and it was super sticky. I made it 3 days before using. So is it due to not enough powdered sugar when I made it?

stephanievo5 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:38am
post #5 of 6

Also is it normal to have to wait for the fondant to kind of dry out after placing on the cake?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:44am
post #6 of 6

If its sticky when you are working with it add more cs to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%