Sheet Cakes

Decorating By bakermaker Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm by Amymnn

bakermaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermaker Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 3

My sheet cakes always "dome up" so much I end up cutting half the cake
off to get it flat enough to frost. How can I remedy this.
Help!!!!
Bakermaker icon_sad.gif : icon_confused.gif

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 3

Hi and WELCOME to our sweet little corner of the interneticon_smile.gif

You need to turn you oven temp downicon_smile.gif Bake at 300 to 325 - no higher. Depending on the size of the cake it may take a few minutes (up to 10) longer to bake thru but you will have a much flatter, more moist cake.
There are a couple of other things: wrap the outside of your pan with wet towel stripes (purchased ones are called 'bake even stripes' but you can use any old towel you might have around the house.) Be sure to wet it well; squeeze lightly so it's not dripping and pin together tight around the pan.
Some people use a flower nail to help conduct the heat into the interior of the cake. Grease nail, place flat side down/nail sticking up and gently pour in batter. When you turn the cake out of the pan the nail will be right there for easy removel.

Any one or (best) all three will help you bake better.

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 3

kakeladi: Great tips!

Last week I used the baking strips for the first time and was really impressed with the results. The cake was very even and flat on top, and it even pulled away from the sides of the pan for nice, clean edges. I used the baking strips and a flower nail.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%