Baked Cheesecake As Filling???

Decorating By maimai16 Updated 10 Aug 2009 , 3:29pm by maimai16

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:47am
post #1 of 11

hi everyone =)

i've read somewhre here on CC that you can use baked cheesecake as filling... now i'm wondering, if i'm going to make a chocolate cake then filled it w/ choco chip cheesecake, what icing can i use to cover the whole cake? any suggestion will be appreciated... =)

hope to see replies, this cake will be my husband's gift for her sister... i want this to be perfect =)

help =)

thanks in advance.... CC rocks!

10 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 11:36am
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by maimai16

hi everyone =)

i've read somewhre here on CC that you can use baked cheesecake as filling... now i'm wondering, if i'm going to make a chocolate cake then filled it w/ choco chip cheesecake, what icing can i use to cover the whole cake? any suggestion will be appreciated... =)

hope to see replies, this cake will be my husband's gift for her sister... i want this to be perfect =)

help =)

I've done this with chocolate cake and chocolate truffle cheesecake....one layer of cheesecake between two layers of chocolate cake, with a smear of raspberry filling between each, then frosted the whole thing in chocolate ganache. Wonderful!
thanks in advance.... CC rocks!

maimai16 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 11

calling janh.... i've been searching the thread about cheesecake as cake filling but can't find it icon_sad.gif anyone, please....

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 11

I have done it not with chocolate cake, but with regular butter cake and use the regular crusting buttercream with no problem.
Edna icon_smile.gif

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 11

I don't know if this is the thread you were looking for:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6333081#6333081 (Check the posts by maryjsgirl).

HTH

maimai16 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 11

@edna
thanks for the suggestion... but buttercream is too sweet for us...
btw, i love your cakes!

@ngfcak
thanks for posting that.... that is what i'm going to try but there was a very long thread discussing purely cheesecake as cake filling.... or it was discussed on cookie as cake filling? now i'm confused... going to search for that thread....

lopsidedTurntable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lopsidedTurntable Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #7 of 11

You can use any kind of icing you want.

I recommend that this be cemented together well with either the icing or the filling. Ganache is great like Jeff said. Or regular buttercream like Edna said.

And of course it has to be kept chilled. There's just a four hour window of opportunity to work with this outside of the frige. So I work as quick as possible, deliver mine late as possible to allow as much of the 4 hours as possible for display time.

And some people bake a cheesecake and leave it in the oven with the oven door cracked until it cools completely--that all cuts into the four hours. I would never do that for a project like this. It holds the cheese at a flukey temp far too long.

You've really got to up your food handling safety skills to incorporate this medium.

maimai16 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 11

K8memphis, so youre saying that i have to bake my cheesecake the way i cook my cheesecake but i need to eliminate cooling it w/ the oven door cracked open? so i need to take out the cheesecake right after it reached the baking time?i'm planning to use a new york cheesecake recipe that i've been working with for awhile now.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 11

I agree with K8memphis..

The cheesecake needs to be cool all the time. And yes you can use all sorts of icing. Even bettercream. But is one of those cakes that needs to stay refirgerated.
At the end of the day you are working with cheesecake..

Like k8memphis said, is best to have it ready the latest possible so its not out of the fridge for a too long period.

Thanks for the complements maimai16!
Edna icon_smile.gif

lopsidedTurntable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lopsidedTurntable Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 11

I'm saying for safety--you can hold your cheese/cheesecake for 4 hours outside the correct temps of under 40 degrees and over 140 degrees. (I'm rusty--pretty sure those are the right markers)

If you leave it languish in the warmish oven --you deduct that time from the 4 hours--the time you take the cream cheese out of the frige at the store till you get it in the chill box at home--you deduct all that time.

You deduct decorating time and making the tiers up--all that.

In fact, a home frige probably does not keep food at 40 degrees or below but that's a different post I guess.

But doing that oven door thing would freak me out to be honest--for a wedding cake or something that stays on display. Because you are holding a potentially hazardous food at a bacteria producing orgy level.

I try to allow at least two hours for display time--so I try and keep my part of the time down to under two hours--I mean you gotta count delivery time too allll that.

This is why we have the food safety rules & stuff. Food can be dangerous.

Cream cheesey thoughts for you.

maimai16 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 11

thanks K8memphis... now you're scaring me... anyway, this will be given to a family member... and hopefully this will be consumed in an hour icon_biggrin.gif

@jeff
i will definite try using chocolate ganache... thnaks for sharing =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%