Keep Buttercream From Melting!

Decorating By Butterfly325 Updated 13 Sep 2009 , 5:36am by JanH

Butterfly325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly325 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 4:54am
post #1 of 7

Hi! So I made a Dora cake for my niece's 3rd birthday and we left it out on the table. I dont know if its because it was a hot night, but it started dripping icon_sad.gif They put it in the fridge and then it was ok, but is there a way to keep it from melting? The recipe I use is from a book (Beautiful Cakes) 2.5 sticks of unsalted butter and 1.5 cups of powdered sugar. Is it the recipe? Or is that just the way buttercream is??? Thanks!

6 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:11am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly325

Hi! So I made a Dora cake for my niece's 3rd birthday and we left it out on the table. I dont know if its because it was a hot night, but it started dripping icon_sad.gif They put it in the fridge and then it was ok, but is there a way to keep it from melting? The recipe I use is from a book (Beautiful Cakes) 2.5 sticks of unsalted butter and 1.5 cups of powdered sugar. Is it the recipe? Or is that just the way buttercream is??? Thanks!

If it's hot it will melt because it contains butter. You will need a recipe that's a bit more heat resistant like the butter-shortening combo recipes. Experiment with a bunch of recipes and see which one works for you.

JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 5:42am
post #3 of 7

2 1/2 sticks of butter (= 1 1/4 cup) to 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar doesn't sound right to me, that's almost a 50/50 split!
I believe the common ratio is approximately 1 cup butter to 4 cups sugar?

thumbworks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbworks Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 6:27am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly325

If it's hot it will melt because it contains butter. You will need a recipe that's a bit more heat resistant like the butter-shortening combo recipes. Experiment with a bunch of recipes and see which one works for you.

What is the recipe? I'm having trouble putting icing on my cake it keeps on melting since i am in the place where the heat is always on. icon_sad.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 7:50am
post #5 of 7

All-butter buttercream doesn't stand up to the heat here very well at all, even in the house. I have better luck with this recipe: http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

It tastes great too. You can find the Dream Whip powder at HEB near the cake mixes or at Walmart near the jello. It will withstand heat pretty well and doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. If you're driving a cake somewhere though you'll still need the AC on...I found that out the hard way when the buttercream all fell down inside the fondant and I got a weird bulge on a cake.

Butterfly325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterfly325 Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:24am
post #6 of 7

Thank you! I will definately start experimenting. icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Sep 2009 , 5:36am
post #7 of 7

Well, the recipe you used was long on butter and very short on powdered sugar...

But in HOT weather, any butter based buttercream will start to droop and melt before a shortening based buttercream. Why - simply because the melting point of butter is lower than that of shortening.

IMHO, the ultimate shortening based buttercreams are those using hi-ratio. Never have to worry about that "greasy" mouth feel that is often associated with a regular shortening based buttercream.

More info on Crisco and hi-ratio shortenings with popular b/c recipes for both:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-651241-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%