Free Cakes For Kids

Lounge By MLand Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 4:17am by cs_confections

CarrieBear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarrieBear Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:11am
post #601 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

not sure what you are asking. If you get a monetary donation, it MUST go through the main office. A person makes the donation and says that it is for you/your chapter. If you get a gift card donation, then you can give them a receipt so they can deduct it from their taxes. If you are using your own money to purchase supplies, then keep the receipts because YOU can deduct it from YOUR taxes. Any volunteer should keep their receipts from the supplies to make te cake so they can deduct it from their taxes. Hope this helps.

Make sense? If not, then I am not sure what you are asking and I'll try to help. icon_smile.gif

sorry, guess im not being clear icon_redface.gif

If some one makes a monetary donation to your chapter how does your chapter access that money that was donated or how is that money then dispursed to your chapter for use?
hope that makes more sense
icon_smile.gif

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 3:30am
post #602 of 716

It goes to the main/original chapter, which is why they must indicate it is for your chapter. Once they main chapter receives it, they will send out a thank you card to the giver and send you a check. This is to make it easier for tax purposes - you don't have to handle any of the charity filing - they do it. If it's someone you know that wishes to make a donation, you can encourage them to give a gift card or pay directly for flyer copies or your website, etc., so the donation can be used more quickly. Hope that helps!

CarrieBear Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:31pm
post #603 of 716

if some one donates supplies, gift card etc. who gives them a reciept for their donation ? how does that work

Brenda0217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda0217 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:33pm
post #604 of 716

Hello Cs...thought I would check in here since I am still not receiving my notices by email that anyone has posted anything. Still wondering why on that for about a week now, everything is still checked the right way to receive them. anyway...nothing new on my end here, sent a whole bunch of stuff out, explaining who we are , what we do, how to reach me. but still nothing....guess these agencies around where I live do not want to take the time to par take in this organization or something, who knows. I have tried agencies that deal with the families we need, Jaycees, Fellowship Churches, Salvation Army, you name it, I think I had it all covered in three cities from me. and still nothing. So I am still waiting patiently....and waiting.....LOL...so that is my update, same ol' thing.

cs_confections Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:44pm
post #605 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieBear

if some one donates supplies, gift card etc. who gives them a reciept for their donation ? how does that work

You do. I make two, one for the donor and one for my records. I don't think we turn it in, but just in case it is ever asked for or if the donor requests another copy later, I'll have it.

I can send it to you via email if you PM me with your email address. Do you have Facebook? If so, you can visit my page (Free Cakes for Kids, San Antonio Chapter) to see the flyer, nominate a child, volunteer application, and business card that I've modified for my chapter from what Mischell provided.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm
post #606 of 716

Good going Brenda. It'll come. You know, another idea is to start offering to senior citizen homes. I know that Toni, or Mischell started to do the same thing. Maybe THEN you might get something? I will have a new volunteer that wants to be able to do that, which is what got me thinking. In regards to receiving email notifiactions, send an email to Heath or Jackie or just post a new topic in the forum...that should get there attention if everything else fails. I don't trust the updates any more because I don't get notified about a bunch of things.

Carriebear....YOU would write the receipt for those kind of donations.

cs_confections Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #607 of 716

Hi Brenda! It sounds like you've covered a lot of ground. Maybe it'll just take some time. I'm wondering if you made and delivered a cake or cupcakes along with your cards and flyers to some of the agencies if it would help bring more attention your way. Maybe cupcakes, individually wrapped, punch a hole in your card and a small flyer, tie them to the top of the wrapped cupcake... That way, you'll get their attention with sweets, and they have to handle your card and flyer to get to the cupcakeicon_smile.gif

Is there a Head Start around your area? If so, see if you can talk to any of the teachers. We must find you a cake! I read one of the news stories that said that Toni was also starting to include the elderly. Would that interest you? Maybe you can expand your chapter to include youth and elderly since you're in a rural area. I'll try to find that article again later today.

Mine has slowed down, though it's probably a good thing. My mom just had surgery this past week and we're waiting to find out if it's benign or not. Plus we're dealing with some flooding and water damage from all of this rain, so it's probably a blessing in disguise. I hope it's just a short break, though!

cs_confections Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 4:57pm
post #608 of 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

You know, another idea is to start offering to senior citizen homes. I know that Toni, or Mischell started to do the same thing. Maybe THEN you might get something?

We're on the same track!!! We just have to find a way to get Brenda some cake requestsicon_smile.gif

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:21pm
post #609 of 716

[quote="saberger"]If you are referring to baking in our homes for Free cakes For Kids, it is fine, since we are covered by the Good Samaritan Law. In regards to baking and SELLING, that is different and you need to check with your state.
Yes it was just for the free cakes for kids thanks for answering.. I haven't been getting the notifications for this link either. But I keep checking anyway . icon_lol.gif

Brenda0217 Posted 12 Oct 2009 , 5:23pm
post #610 of 716

Thanks you guys, when I send something out, I sent an introduction letter about me, and about the chapter , and then the organization, and the flier, and a business card, that way they have all three, and I also mention in the flier and introduction letter, if they know of anyother agencies/organizaions/ or families feel free to give them the information too. I was thinking of soon putting it in the local papers we have around here. But then you take the chances of the one not telling the truth about needing a cake too. Not sure if I am ready to deal with those kind just yet. LOL...I know go with my gut feeling. and there are a few homes around that are close, so will have to check into them too soon. Thanks again you guys.

bm162003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bm162003 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:34pm
post #611 of 716

Hello all I have a Q? there is a client that email for a cake for Dec,4 she also email the Mischell that she want one for Jan,26 2010 .So Mischell email to let us know about it so I told I'll do both cake with no problem . But I just found out she also talk to a Kim she doing a chapter in NYC and Kim is doing the Dec, cake too so what do you thing I should do about this.Thank You

saberger Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 12:55pm
post #612 of 716

I would connect with the other volunteer and coordinate it. She shouldn't be getting two cakes. Hope that helps.

CarrieBear Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 1:18pm
post #613 of 716

chapter organizers

once a new member has applied and been accepted after the application process to your chapter, do the main organizers of the program notify you that you have a new member?

saberger Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:16pm
post #614 of 716

unfortunately no. Although I have sometimes gotten a CC of the welcome sent to a new volunteer. Having said that, I no longer send volunteer wanna-bes to the main office to get the application. All of the people interested in being volunteers that contact me, I send them the application with instructions to send it to the directors (their emails are already in the CC area) and then tell them to contact me once they are approved so I can follow up with them. At that point, I get their info (contact info and availability and area coverage) , I send them my FAQ sheet as well as a flier if they want, and tell them how it works when I receive a request.

I do check the main site occasionally to make sure there isn't anybody listed that I don't have on my list. I also sent an email to everybody that had bee listed in NJ previously to me starting the chapter to make sure I can include them in my database.

I think that once a chapter is set up, then all volunteers should be forwarded to them and not listed on the main site (unless there is no chapter for that area), because people don't really know what to do or who to contact and then duplicate requests happen (like with bm162003).

Just my 2 cents.

bm162003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bm162003 Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 3:49pm
post #615 of 716

Well I talk to Kim and she siad that she going to find out what happen becuase the way that I see it is that maybe she want two cake becuase she also call Kim back on september like she did me now on monday is email Mischell so something fun is going on well let see what happen I'll let anyone know.

CarrieBear Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 6:49pm
post #616 of 716

How is everyone handling the dispursement of money to their members, as far as if some one needs money for their cakes, or dispursement of donated items?
we (MN chapter organizers) are trying to figure out the best way to handle this. we are just getting everything set up and ready to go with our chapter and we are trying to come up with our game plan, this is one thing we are trying to figure out how we should handle... wondering everyone elses thoughts or ideas on this..

thanks
carrie

saberger Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm
post #617 of 716

That's a good question. One I haven't had to deal with yet, but will in November. I guess you have to decide whether the money is going to go towards expenses such as website, fliers, biz cards, etc OR towards the making of cakes.

CarrieBear Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:16pm
post #618 of 716

oh so the money cant go towards everything it has to go towards one thing or the other?
I think thats what you meant.
I have no idea how we are going to do this.. icon_confused.gif

cs_confections Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:32pm
post #619 of 716

No, the money/donations can go to all associated costs. It's just up to you on how you wish to allocate it. For mine, I'm donating all of my start up costs (roughly $200) for a year of the website, cards, flyers, copies of forms, folders for social workers/contacts, etc. This allows donations I collect to be applied to ingredients/supplies. Of course, once more people know about us next year and as we have more donations come in, I will probably apply some to renew the website, order more cards as needed, etc.

saberger Posted 13 Oct 2009 , 8:44pm
post #620 of 716

yeah...what she said icon_wink.gif

CarrieBear Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 2:29am
post #621 of 716

cool, thanks for all the help! We seem to be getting volunteers and we have our site going, a yahoo group page going, a face book page, and now we just need to find the kids to make cakes for! icon_smile.gif

Brenda0217 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 9:49pm
post #622 of 716

Wwwhoooo! Got my first cake, with the help from my daughter, she was at school (college) and was asking this guy for permission to put one of my fliers, and she started telling this girl she knows about it, and she wanted to know if I can make her a cake for her daughter in December. either a castle cake or a princess doll cake, made a castle cake already , but not attempted a doll cake yet, will do that maybe tomorrow , just to see if I can do it, before I agree to it. Have time till December gets here, LOL....the little girl will be 5 years old. So now I am nervous and december is not even here yet!! wish I was more of a proffesional baker like most of you guys on here, so finally , I guess that saying is true, "ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE THAT WAIT". LOL....just had to tell someone.

cs_confections Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:08pm
post #623 of 716

Yea!!!! Go Brenda!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
Did you do a happy dance?! I bet you're going to do a great job! Just keep it fun and don't stressicon_smile.gif Sorry I can't give any tips on either - haven't done a doll or castle to date. I'd probably do the princess - seems it could be made easier on a smaller scale and there a gift IN the cakeicon_smile.gif Gotta love double duty!!
icon_lol.gif

saberger Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:14pm
post #624 of 716

WHOO-HOO!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I am SO happy (and relieved) for you!!!! That is absolutely awesome! Definitely do the doll cake....WAY easier. OR, you can do a cake and castle as a FBCT. But, the doll is pretty easy. Get the pan, put a cake mix in it, ice it with BC, either very smoothly or kind of swirly like a fluffy dress, put a couple of flowers and done. You don't even need to torte or put any filling. icon_wink.gifparty.gifparty.gif

Enjoy....don't stress....otherwise why are you doing it, right?!

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 10:35pm
post #625 of 716

YEAH YOU!!!! I'm so excited for you. Still waiting for my first.

Brenda0217 Posted 14 Oct 2009 , 11:43pm
post #626 of 716

Suz3 it took me what about two months for my first one to come in??? I did see a really cute castle cake, looks easier than the one I did this summer, on CC here by icedideas says it was her first 3-D castle cake, looks like a square cake with two different round on top of that and the turets around all 4 couners of the square cake and three in the middle on the top layer, instead of the turets, I was thinking of putting the doll up there if she would fit. Her castle cake looked more stable than mine was, especially transporting it, close calls in the summer time it was with mine. I am going to try the doll cake tomorrow in between watching the 2 yr. old , I usually don't get her after wednesday, but her mom has training where she works and might have to go in during the day to get the rest of her training. I will post a picture, but it won't be till around the begining of Dec. , so that will give me time to get it all together, make sure I can do it, and calm my nerves down some, LOL..like that would happen the nerves part I mean. LOL...and thank you guys for all your support. Can not do this without all your help.

saberger Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 12:33am
post #627 of 716

Ok Brenda....just remember that the cake is only to feed 14-20 people...so don't go too crazy. Just have fun! I'll help however I can. icon_smile.gif

Brenda0217 Posted 15 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #628 of 716

I will try and do my best in not going too crazy with the serving amounts, LOL....thanks for reminding me saberger. The princess doll cake from the betty crocker site says it serves 30, don't see where it would serve that many at all. To me looks more like 10-12 if that, but then again I am not good at looking at something and saying how much it serves. Since I am still so darn new at this stuff, wish the boyfriend ate more cake....LOL....

saberger Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:39am
post #629 of 716

spoke with Toni on Thursday....she said that CNN was going to do a story on FCFK. And her computer got a MAJOR virus and has lost just about everything. She is desperately trying to organize it all. Told her about the FAQ I put together and wanted me to email it to the others again to look at to get the official approval on it.

Oh yeah, here is something important. I asked Toni about writing receipts for people giving donations and how cash should go to the main office. She said that IF the person wants a receipt for a cash donation, then it should be sent to the main office. HOWEVER, if they DON'T want a receipt, then you can just accept it. Whatever donations you get you should keep track of in a seperate place and YOU will be held accountable for those records. I needed to know if a volunteer could write the receipt or if it had to be me....hence her saying "whoever is going to be accountable for donations should be the one writing the receipts". HTH.

I got my first donation!!! Someone from Wish Upon a Hero sent me a big box filled with cake mixes and sprinkles and stuff. Very generous. Now I have to get cracking on putting together a thank you page on my website for people who make the cakes and donations.

The bad news is I couldn't fulfill a request. I was really bummed icon_sad.gif But it was over 2 hours for me and I couldn't find anyone here OR near Philly to do it. I feel SO bad about it. On the flip side, one of my volunteers is a freelance writer and she wrote an article about FCFKNJ and me for the "Local Hero" section of the paper. Not sure when it will be out, but I think it might be this Wednesday.

I also ordered a small banner from VistaPrint for the fundraiser in November for the table.

Did you do your practice cake Brenda? How is everyone else doing?

d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:02am
post #630 of 716

Wish I would have seen this earlier!

Just sent them an email though..hope something can come from it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%