Food Writers - Being Difficult

Decorating By cupcakelady64 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 11:12pm by hammer1

cupcakelady64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakelady64 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 5

I recently purchased American Food Writers and i have tried using them several times. But i am noticing that they don't work very well on Fondant. Are they not made for use on Fondant? Do they work better on RI? Anyone else with this problem, and maybe a solution?

4 replies
cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 5

I dont like them very much. I posted a question in the "general" forum about a month ago, and asked if it was ok to use non-toxic markers. This will probaly cause a debate, but I now use them on my gumpaste pieces. They work great, and I have 36 different colors to choose from.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 5

I've never had a problem with Americolor (you typed them as "American" but I am assuming you mean Americolor.) icon_biggrin.gif Mine are two years old and still flow beautifully. The first time I bought them; however, I bought the pack of two black pens from an E-bay seller. They must have been quite old as they did not perform well at all --as if they were already dried out. My large multi-pack was purchased through GSA and are the ones I have been using two years. I use them on anything that has had a little time to harden --fondant, gumpaste, RI...

iownajane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iownajane Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 5

I also got mine from GSA,and they never wrote/flowed well...bought another type but haven't tried them yet.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 5

i have purchased many from ck products....sometimes you get some that the lids were not tight and they are dried out, others just don't flow...its like buying markers, some are better than others.
sorry you are having trouble, you can see in my pictures i use them all the time for fondant plaques and stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%