Question From A Newbie

Decorating By SassySweetz Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm by snocilla

SassySweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassySweetz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 11

I'm sure this is on here somewhere but, I can't seem to navigate well enough to find it? LOL

When using box cake mixes....how do I know how many mixes to use for each size pan?

I'm looking for a chart or something that I can go by. So, if I pull out a pan I can know excatly how many boxes of mix for that pan?

I don't have that many pans yet, but it will help me when I do! Heehee!

TIA you ladies are great!

Ashley!

10 replies
bellabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellabakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 11

Here's an answer from one newbie to another!

I have used this chart from wilton:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

If I remember correctly a box cake mix has around 5 cups... but don't hold me to that one icon_smile.gif

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 11

Here is a link for 3 in pans too. A regular box mix make between 4 and 5 1/2 cups of batter, so 5 is a pretty good estimate. I generally estimate 4 1/2 to make sure I have enough. HTH

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-3-inch-pans.cfm

SassySweetz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks ladies!

So, is what I'm going correct?

1 box mix will do 2 of the 8" rounds that are 2"high? Fill them 1/2 full of batter.

Honestly, when I do this....and trim the round top off, they don't seem very big? I was thinking maybe I wasn't using enough batter? Or am I trimming to much off the top?

Any suggestions?

TIA
Ashley!

snocilla Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 11

I generally fill them a little more than halfway. A little bit of height also get added if you put filling in the middle.

SassySweetz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 11

I wanted to fill them a little more but, I was scared it would over flow! LOL So, I'd need to mix up 2 boxes if i were to do that correct? 1 box didn't seem like enough IMO!

Thanks!

Ashley!

snocilla Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 11

probably so... what size pans are you using?

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 11

I generally do the cake extender recipe if I'm doing a box mix. The recipe is on CC (1 egg, 1c. flour, 8 oz. sour cream or yogurt, 1c. sugar, 1/3 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp vanilla or any flavoring). This gives me more batter and makes it more personalized.

SassySweetz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 11

I'm using a 2" deep 8" round cake pan by Wilton. I also use the 2" deep 9" round

SassySweetz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 11

That was going to be my next question? How do I go about adding different ingredients to my box mix to make it taste a little more like what I taste a the speciality bakery? They always taste so good!

snocilla Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianocat

I generally do the cake extender recipe if I'm doing a box mix. The recipe is on CC (1 egg, 1c. flour, 8 oz. sour cream or yogurt, 1c. sugar, 1/3 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp vanilla or any flavoring). This gives me more batter and makes it more personalized.

Yes... I do this most of the time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%