Wasc Volcano!!! Help!!

Decorating By vcm_9 Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 4:42am by JanH

vcm_9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcm_9 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:50am
post #1 of 4

OK, I am an Aussie, and after hearing SO many great things about the WASC, I had to try it when someone asked if I do almond cake. Luckily, I thought I would experiment with a small batch of WASC first.

SO, I used half a quantity of original WASC recipe (IE: half a cake mix, half everything else) and all was going good in the oven.

I tested it with a skewer, and thought maybe another 10 minutes. It was nice and level on top, and browning nicely. Went to give my baby a bottle and put to bed (10 minutes), came back and cake had literally cracked like a big cross on the top and uncooked batter was bubbling away gently in the new crevice!!!

WHAT DID I DO WRONG??? Any ideas?? It actually tastes really good and I want to use this recipe, but I need to know what happened!!!

Can anyone help me?? Im desperate!

OK, from another thread, I worked out that I am using a 13.4 ounce cake mix, and the betty crocker (which I cant get here in Australia) is 18.25oz...what do I do to balance out the weight???

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 4

Add additional AU cake mix until you get the equivalent weight of the American cake mix. icon_smile.gif

HTH

Related post, please also see:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-645600.html

vcm_9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcm_9 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 4

I weorked out that I am using 75% of the mix you are using, so worked out the quantities of other ingredients. Going to give it another go.

Do yo think that was the only thing that caused my cake to split open and spew forth its batter??

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:42am
post #4 of 4

I would say it was, since the WASC is one of the most dependable recipes I've ever come across. icon_smile.gif

Here's a thread that has both Rebecca Sutterby's and kakeladi's Original WASC cake recipes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%