Adding To A Box Mix

Baking By klewisdas Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm by momcake101

klewisdas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klewisdas Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 18

I've heard of people adding things, like pudding, to a cake mix to make it moist. So how do I do it? do you add the dry instant mix or do you make pudding & add it in?

17 replies
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 18

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7445-The-Original-WASC-cake-recipe.html

This is for a white almond sour cream cake... it lists several alternative things, like using sour cream, yogurt, etc. I've never used pudding, but this may give you a basis to go by.

I made a strawberry cake using this recipe, by adding strawberries and cream yogurt instead of sourcream, adding strawberry flavoring as opposed to almond, and adding 6 tablespoons of strawberry preserves. It was the most moist cake I've ever made....

HTH

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 18

This is a great resource, but good luck getting through all those posts!

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554-gourmet.html+flavors

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 18

I should add that if you click on the link to Macsmom's signature, there's a good number of recipes there. You'd prepare them all the same way as the original WASC, that's why there are no directions.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 18

Doctored cake mix
1 cake mix, any flavor
1 pkg instant pudding, compatible flavor
4 eggs
1/3 C oil
1 C water
1 tsp flavoring, compatible with cake and pudding
Bake at 350*

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 18

I use the WASC recipe from Kakeladi and Rebecca Sutterby.

For the pudding, I throw the dry instant pudding into the mix. I also use yogurt and sour cream and coffee creamers. For the chocolate WASC i just made I used chocolate Whips yogurt, and a package of chocolate instant pudding along with the sour cream. (1/2 the sour cream that the recipe calls for when I used the yogurt)

MacsMom was hugely helpful with ideas and how to put some funky flavors together.

klewisdas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klewisdas Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

Doctored cake mix
1 cake mix, any flavor
1 pkg instant pudding, compatible flavor
4 eggs
1/3 C oil
1 C water
1 tsp flavoring, compatible with cake and pudding
Bake at 350*

This is what I was talking about. Thanks. Does it work with all cake mixes?

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 18

Do you mean brand? Or type, white, yellow or chocolate?

By brand I use Betty Crocker or Pilsbury and I have only used the white cake mix or chocolate fudge.

cutthecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 18

And I prefer Duncan Hines cake mixes. I think I've tried most of their flavors, and many Jell-o instant pudding flavors in the doctored cake mix recipe

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 18

When I do this, I add one small box of pudding per box mix and substitute the water for milk adding extra for the pudding.

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 3:12am
post #11 of 18

I like using the Pillsbury mixes with the pudding already in them. Not only are the mixes less expensive than DH, I don't have to buy a box of pudding. I find they're a little sturdier for carving & stacking than DH.

Here's the enhancement I followed for a Chocolate cake I just made tonight:

1 cake mix (I like a dark choc mix)
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
generous dash of salt
*Whisk dry ingredients together before adding liquids

1 1/3 cup cooled strong coffee (I used 1 1/3 cup hot water w/2 tsp of instant coffee added)
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter

Mix together on low for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees (less "doming" this way) until done...time will vary depending on how deep you fill your pans. Start with the time recommended on the box & check for doneness.

The coffee is key to bringing out the chocolate flavor. You can also find this in the recipe section of the website...that's where I got it from!

The WASC recipe in that section is my favorite...I get rave reviews all the time!

mikimouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikimouse Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 8:03am
post #12 of 18

the doctored recipe above works for all kinds of flavors of pudding mixes. My favorite is white cake with lemon pudding mixed in. I also use milk instead of water. The batter is very thick and a little rubbery but the cake comes out very tender (and a little too soft, cake requires chilling for decorating). NOBODY has ever noticed when I've gone the quick route with a box cake and this recipe. I do perfer it more for cupcakes as it makes such a soft cake.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:07pm
post #13 of 18

i only buy duncan hines super moist, and the french vanilla is wonderful

cutthecake Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:22pm
post #14 of 18

I love DH French Vanilla with Whimsical Bakehouse or Hershey's Chocolate Frosting.

Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:42pm
post #15 of 18

I add 1 box of pudding (dry) to every box mix I use and do not add any extra liquid. The liquid already called for is enough and my cakes are always very moist.

momcake101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momcake101 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #16 of 18

I know I sound dumb, but what does WASC mean?

cakemaker30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker30 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #17 of 18

WASC = white almond sour cream

There are several recipes on here for it.

I add a box of pudding (dry) and an extra egg to my cake mixes. I also add a couple of drops of Lorann Oils in the flavor I am making to help enhance it. I use DH banana cake with banana pudding and banana Lorann Oil. It tastes really yummy and gives it more of a fruity banana flavor rather than the banana nut bread flavor that it has.

momcake101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momcake101 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 5:14pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks for your quick reply cakemaker 30! I will definitely use your tips for the cake. They sound wonderful! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%