How To Assemble This?

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 22 Jul 2009 , 2:15am by Sox-n-Pats

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 4

My niece wants these fondant stripes on the cake ( http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/17/179673/15_2008/fab_44.jpg )- to go to the top edge, not curved around. I'm wondering a few things. First off, I have to transport the 3 tiers - which will be frozen, filled, and BC-ed, 6 hours drive through the heat - although they will be packed cold in the air conditioned car - so that being said, do the stripes get attached to fondant covered tiers with royal icing, or something else? Do they get stuck straight to the BC? Will that hold during the reception (outdoors evening hot weather) or will it slide off? Anyone who has done this kind of cake, if you could give me pointers.

Also, I was planning on bringing my ball of fondant and rolling it out and covering the tiers when I get there- thinking maybe a 6 hour summer drive - air conditioned car nonwithstanding - would make the fondant sag or rip or whatever. Any tips on that as well. I've done a search here and looked at some of the striped cakes, that are similar but not seen any information on how to.

3 replies
Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 21 Jul 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 4

I've done fondant stripes on bc cakes before, where the stripe stopped at the top edge. I usually just wet the back of the fondant strip before putting it on and it stays just fine. But, I've never taken a cake on that long of a drive. If you think the cake can stay cool in the car, then I see no reason why you can't put the stripes on before you leave.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #3 of 4

Some hints to help keep a cake cool:
fill many gallon jugs w/water and fz. Surround cake box with them.
Wear a sweater or jacket so you can keep the ac cranked up as much as possible.
Make up a small test cake and go for a nice, long ride.......3 hrs each way?......to see how it holds up icon_smile.gif
Cover windows OR make up some kind of 'tent' to keep sun out/off the cake boxes.

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 22 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #4 of 4

Ah yes, the Twilight cake!! (It's Bella's birthday cake in the next movie)

I so wanted to make this cake- and was all ready when my aunt ordered my cousins b-day cake and said Twilight!! Then she decided to go with black, red and white, so now I have to make a book cover. icon_sad.gif

Since you are doing the stipes along the top as well and not just down the sides, I'd say it would be fine for traveling without the stripes slipping. I'd stack and do the bordering and the flowers when I arrived- making sure to leave the house/shop with plenty of time in case of any slippage- but I don't think there'd be any- especially if you follow the suggestions above.

Since it's summer remember to start the car and get the air going BEFORE you put the cake in- like have hubby drive around for 15 minutes so the car is really cool before you start (that's by hubby's job) icon_smile.gif

good luck... I'm soooooooo jealous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%