Question: Where Do U Put Away All Of Ur Baking Pans & Th

Decorating By imnamor95 Updated 16 Jan 2007 , 10:22pm by Bettycrockermommy

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:17am
post #1 of 32

I have a baggie I keep all of my tips in. I have alot of my pans in a china closet which I am using for "storage" but, am noticing that I am running out of room. icon_confused.gif My cake carriers and cake savers take up SO MUCH room! What do u do with all of ur stuff?? I am going stir crazy here bc every day, I am accumulating more stuff. I have some of the stuff in the storage drawer underneath my stove too but, I think I am gonna be needing another apt soon, just for my baking stuff, lol. Help! icon_lol.gif

31 replies
zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:25am
post #2 of 32

I just went through this a few days ago. Its amazing how fast you accumulate everything! My most used pans I'm keeping in the cabinet so I can get to them easily. My seasonal ones or character/shaped pans I put in large clear storage bins and did a spreadsheet in Excel saying which bin which pan is in so that I can find it easily when I need it. This seems to work for now but this is the 3rd time in less than a year that I've reorganized my stuff. I've run out of cabinet space and the supplies just keep multiplying! icon_surprised.gif

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:26am
post #3 of 32

I have stuff all over my house. I have a big pantry and have stuff all in there. I'm running out of room for my food. icon_lol.gif Plus I keep pans in a cabinet by my sink and what doesn't fit there goes down to my basement. I need to get some tubs to organize all of it. That way I can clean out my pantry and just put them all in my basement on the shelves. That way I'm not running all over the house looking for a pan. I'm not the most organized person in the world, but I try.

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:30am
post #4 of 32

when we built our new house 2 years ago we built storage shelves in the garage just for all my baking stuff. i have one whole wall (24 feet long) filled top to bottom with storage tubs with all my pans, cookie cutters etc. all are labeled so it's easy to go out and pick what i need. my airbrush and colors are in a tackle box (kept inside in a closet) all my tips, bags and spreading knives are in a 3 drawer unit i found at walmart for $5. i have a fridge and deep freeze also in the garage just for my cakes and baking stuff. the only thing i do not have yet is a cabinet to keep all my decorating books and photo albums of my stuff, right now they are stacked up in a corner in my kitchen, hoping to get a cabinet soon for those.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:37am
post #5 of 32

I have all my pans and baking strips in plastic see thru totes with locking lids. I have smaller sized totes for gumpaste stuff, one for colours and sparkles, icing bags/parchment, a big one for books, binders, instructions etc...

I have no extra room in my cupboards so I stack them up in the basement, or if I am baking I just take the ones I need out. The fact they are see thru is great..then I can see at a glance which one I need.
Plus, it gives me exercise hauling those rotters up and down the stairs.. icon_lol.gif

I have the red Wilton toolchest which I don't like, but it is handy for the tips..the rest of the tips live in the bottom of it..

I keep a shallow plastic mini-tote on the counter for any mis tips or brushes that I might have been using but are out to dry..that way they are contained.

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:39am
post #6 of 32

I have only been decorating for one year and I have accumulate so many wilton products that I have moved out of the buffet to a giant shelf that I installed in my basement. I also put a freezer down there for cakes. It can be very frustrating when you realize you are running out of room. I also like the small plastic chests of drawers that you can pick up at a wal mart or a dollar store. I also have things in larger plastic containers just to keep the dust off of them. Good luck to you with your future organization endeavor!!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:40am
post #7 of 32

I have a walk in closet dedicated to my cake supplies. And it is full. I have started to use a second walk in closet.

I went to the dollar store and bought plastice shoe containers and put labels on them to tell me what is in each box. Then stack them.

Best idea I've come up with. I even put my, made in advance Royal Frosting flowers in them.

I'd buy six boxes find out I didn't have enough, buy six more and so on and so on. I think I may finally have enough.

Connie1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1960 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:41am
post #8 of 32

I keep all my stuff in a 8 ft. cargo trailer. In the past I did wood crafts and traveled to craft shows. Then cake decorating was discover. So I bought totes for the pans. I label each tote with what is inside, so they are easy to locate. All my tips, bags, colors, etc are stored in a section of my pantry.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:44am
post #9 of 32

Oh, and I also have a three hole punch. I go to the dollar store and buy binders and put cookie recipes in one, fillings in one and so on. But a label on the side and put them on a shelf.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:53am
post #10 of 32

Very good question. I keep getting more and more especially since I teach for Wilton. We are always getting new stuff. I have 3 rubber made totes I use course 1 course 2 and course 3. I have my own seperate tools too that I keep in the wilton carrier and a box. As for pans.... I keep the most used ones in a very small cabinet I have and the rest are down stairs on a shelf dedicated to only my stuff.( if they have a small whole in them like the charicature pans I hang them ont he wall leading to the vasement) I also have 4 shelves filled with chocolate molds. I need more room. I think I have about 25 differnt cake stands, plates, plateaux..... they are kinda everywhere and anywhere I can find place for them. Who would have ever thought this craft would take up so much room. I recently went through some of my things and removed tips that I didnt use much or had too many of and put them in another place AUGH
anyone have a better plan?

calvarykari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calvarykari Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 1:55am
post #11 of 32

I also keep everything in the garage. I have two of those plastic shelving units full as well as a full size refgrigerator and full size freezer that I over ran from my husband's business to use for cake stuff.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 2:09am
post #12 of 32

My stuff is kept all over my house.

I have three large plastic containers 2 are filled with pans I don't use often and one for chocolate molds. Those are in my bedroom closet. I have built in shelves in there also that I store my rolling pins, mats and a few other mismatched things there.

In my office I have three large plastic containers full of all the stuff I use often. Gumpaste stuff, bags, and tips and so on. Then on top of those I have two smaller boxes. One with all copper cookie cutters and one with all plastic cookie cutters. I also have two pull carts that I used to use when I took my classes. They are now filled with different kinds of fondant.

In the garage I have a whole cupboard full of cake stands, carriers, extra boards and so on. Also, two more bins full of cake pans.

In the pantry off the kitchen I keep all the cake mixes, sprinkles, flavors, my turn tables and so on.

So I guess what I'm saying is..................I keep stuff all over. If I find a spot. I use it.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 2:10am
post #13 of 32

My stuff is kept all over my house.

I have three large plastic containers 2 are filled with pans I don't use often and one for chocolate molds. Those are in my bedroom closet. I have built in shelves in there also that I store my rolling pins, mats and a few other mismatched things there.

In my office I have three large plastic containers full of all the stuff I use often. Gumpaste stuff, bags, and tips and so on. Then on top of those I have two smaller boxes. One with all copper cookie cutters and one with all plastic cookie cutters. I also have two pull carts that I used to use when I took my classes. They are now filled with different kinds of fondant.

In the garage I have a whole cupboard full of cake stands, carriers, extra boards and so on. Also, two more bins full of cake pans.

In the pantry off the kitchen I keep all the cake mixes, sprinkles, flavors, my turn tables and so on.

So I guess what I'm saying is..................I keep stuff all over. If I find a spot. I use it.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:40am
post #14 of 32

God love my DH icon_biggrin.gif
When we moved here 3 years ago the basement was unfinished. The first thing he did was make a "cake room" for me so that I would get my "*(&%$&*()()@$" stuff out of his way. It is great with large storage boxes, which is where I keep my pans now, he is going to put peg board up close to the ceiling soon so I can hang my less used pans. It has a large 4x5 foot table with electrical outlets and cabinets/sink on the oppostie wall, the cabinets hold mostly craft stuff. Peg board on one wall hold tips, candy molds & misc. Underneath my table is a small fridge and a small bakers rack. Pix attached. By bins are much more full now, I need to do some purging, this was taken a year ago Christmas, hence the presents. There is a lock on this room since my 4 year olds can't keep their hands to themselves!! icon_confused.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 4:18am
post #15 of 32

I am just happy to hear that I'm not the only one with cake stuff stored in different places. Most of my tools are in the cabinets in my kitchen. I have an unusually large kitchen with lots of cabinets. I, too, bought the plastic shoe boxes to put things in. I have all my knick-knack stuff sorted in them by season or topic.

In the outside I shed, I keep my character pans and tiered pans. I bought the huge ziploc bags for my character pans and have several in each one in alphabetical order. Have the bags numbered and then have on my computer which letters of the alphabet are in each bag. I hung them from nails to give me more room on the tables for my bigger pans.

For someone who doesn't do many cakes, I have enough stuff to start a bakery!!! I started collecting pans on Ebay and got carried away. I have open cabinets in my kitchen that work perfect for all the cake books I have collected--some old, some new. I finally bought a book on collecting character pans also.

One of these days I will get even with my kids for everything thing they ever did wrong by leaving all this for them to deal with. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif One thing lucky though is that my daughter does cakes also so she gets the advantage of using all this stuff also.

Diane

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 6:00am
post #16 of 32

Oh yay... I'm so not alone in how my cake stuff is taking over! I was a WMI for a few years.... and I had a lot of stuff of my own, then I spent a lot of time at the flea market looking for teacups for my wedding favors, and bought a lot (teacups and cake stuff) that year... and then there was the auction of the contents of a in-home bakery (40$ filled my full size car 3 times) and then there were 4 remodels of the bakerys that I work at... and then my mom downsized and my sister had kids... so they give all their crap to me, and a have another friend that cleans out houses for people and sells stuff on ebay.... btu not the cake stuff. Oh, and the year that I had to work at Michaels PT to get that darn discount to afford MORE cake stuff..... haha. thumbs_up.gif

So I have a 5 shelf bookcase upstairs with only cake/bakery books on it. In the basement, two xhuge totes with cake pans in them, an armoire in the dining room with cake pans in the drawers and mixers in the top... a end table in the basement with 6 wilton cases on it... 4 red, two blue, each one with a different purpose, and one huge old tackle box full o stuff.... and 12 ft of storage tubs (24) for other stuff, plates, supplies, molds, etc... The only thing missing is the spare fridge and freezer... lol but i'm told I can't get those till i get rid of some of my stuff. icon_cry.gif

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 2:14pm
post #17 of 32

When I tried to post pix of my cake room last night I kept getting "debug error" so here they are now with the explanations on the first page of posts.

Heather
LL
LL

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 2:35pm
post #18 of 32

That leads me to ask - do you guys have ONE baking pan in each size, or more than one? When I bought the round cake pan set, I bought two, so I could make 2 8" at the same time, 2 6"s, etc. I did the same with some rectangle pans, but I only bought one oval pan set and am contemplating getting a second one, but... they don't stack inside each other!!! So, a 6" doesn't fit inside a 6" unlike the cake pans you buy at the grocery store, you know? So, these things take up DOUBLE the space too!!!

So, do I need two of each? What do you guys do?

Melissa

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 2:49pm
post #19 of 32

I had my hubby put extra shelves up in my kitchen for my most used pans and a wilton box I keep my tools in. I also keep my tips in 2 different tip saver boxes. Then I also had to have DH get me a shelving unit to put in basement and I keep it coverd with white sheets to prevent dust from settling on anything in it. I store all my seasonal and character pans there as well as fondant supplies and molds. BUT I have managed to fill that also so it's back to home depot for another shelf. My family is threatening to buy another house to live in since I am taking over this one with baking equipment and books, tools, fondant, and ingrediants all over in every cabinet and shelf I can scrounge up! icon_lol.gif I also made a list of all the pans, equipment and tips I have so I don't rebuy anything or recieve a gift and have to return it. Now to find that list............ icon_wink.gif I also have doubles of alot of my pans like the rounds & squares, but I have only 1 set of hexagon and ovals.

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 2:55pm
post #20 of 32

I wish I had a room like that. I keep all of my stuff in a room in the basement. I have 3 5 tier book cases and 6 large see through drawers and some bins. I hang all of my character pans on a clothesline with s hooks.

djrob318 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djrob318 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:13pm
post #21 of 32

I have a cake room w/lots of selves for my books, clear rolling bins for cookie cutters, icing decs and bags for cookies. I also have tilt out bins for all tips. Lastly, I have all tools in clear small bins/w lids and small bins w/ drawers for colors, dusts, and edible glitter. Also, everything is labeled for easy finding.

Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:13pm
post #22 of 32

Most of my cake pans & carriers are in the basement in binds. My tips are in 2 different places and my colors & flavors in 1 small cabinet that needs to be larger....I'm running out of space for food.icon_sad.gif

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:14pm
post #23 of 32

Great Thread! I have a small room about 5' by 5' that is my "cake room" lined with shelves to store everything and it is now filled. The one thing that has made my life easier is that I bought a clear plastic set of drawers on wheels about 4' high and I keep everthing in there that I use on every cake. (Colors, dusts, tips, spreaders, smoothers, viva towels, etc) When I am doing a cake I just roll that into the kitchen and I have everything I need at my fingertips and then I just roll it back to its room when I am done. Makes clean up easier too.

berryblondeboys: I buy two of each pan. Makes baking faster and easier. They do not stack as well but my goal is to store them on their side in wire stands that holds the pans on their side. I have not seen where you can buy these but I have seem them at bakeries and asked one lady and she said that her husband made hers. Probably can order them on the internet from a bakery supply house.

bjfranco icon_wink.gif

SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCPATTICAKESCREACTIONS Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:16pm
post #24 of 32

I use the closet in my guest bedroom...My DH put shelves in there for me and I keep the stuff in large rubbermaid totes...I made the mistake when this site had the tips on sale a while back...I bought and now have every stinking one of them...what a waste of money...if I do this until I am 275 I will never use all of those tips...My friend once told me that you only need a few stars...rounds...leaves...and petals....that is a bit skimpy but I sure wish I had used my $$ more wisely!!
As for the pans that someone asked about...I have a set of Wilton rounds and squares...then I bought an individual of each size of the rounds...they sides are not straight and that makes icing difficult. I then went to a restaraunt supply store in my area and they have great pans and much cheaper also. I am now trying to convert to them. I think I will get 2 of the 2 and 8 but I usually do not have enough batter to do a 2 10 or 12's at a time (or the oven space) so I might only get one of those!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:31pm
post #25 of 32

I want a room like you gilpnh, that is so nice. I have a basement that is unfinished. That would be a great idea to have a cake room.
Right now I have my most used pans in my kitchen cabinets, my tips and small decorating tools are in a plastic tackle box I got from Walmart. My plastic cake totes, cake boxes and boards are stored in the basement.
I have wide deep plastic chest of drawers for my large pans and decorating equipment that I don't use as often. It would be nice to have everything I keep in the basement in one area.

STX44703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STX44703 Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:34pm
post #26 of 32

Thanks for this thread!! I have just started cake baking/decorating and am already getting taken over by pans, tip, and colors icon_surprised.gif
Since I live in a one bedroom apt with my DH we have NO space!! Right now I have a wooden shelf from Ikea and keep all books on one shelf, 3drawer plastic unit for tips, colors, and bags, and on the bottom shelf I have a plastic tub for the pans. In the pantry have all the mixes, crisco, etc.
I just started Wilton 3 so I'm sure I'll be getting tons of fondant stuff!! DH can't wait hahahahahahaha
I already told him when we start looking for a house the biggest thing will be a HUGE kitchen with lots and lots of cabinets and an extra room for my cake stuff!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:41pm
post #27 of 32

We are looking for a new house too, so my own room for my decorating things is a must! Plus my DH is a music producer/ dj so we each want our own rooms!!! icon_lol.gif I think we may have to settle for our own halves of a basement! I don't think we'll manage a house with 2 extra rooms, soundproofing for my DH's music and an extra fridge and stove! But we can all dream right? icon_rolleyes.gif

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 3:53pm
post #28 of 32

I have been set up in my basement for two years now. My DH has put a ceiling and four 4 foot fluorescent lights and has made me two huge storage areas, and Im still running out of room. I like having a stove, fridge, and sink down there. It works well, but I need another wall to hang things like the pictures above. There as so many great ideas here. Thanks for sharing.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 4:10pm
post #29 of 32

wowowowowow like so many of you, thank goodness for rubbermaid tubs... I am overflowing with them, there are 5 stacked next to my fridge now 5 in the laundry room, not to mention pans in my chine cabinet and under my large entertainment center... I have one section in my kitchen (2 upper cabinets) that I have claimed as my own for colors, chocolates, flavors, and cookie cutters.... if I buy mixes, I buy them in huge batches when our commissary has them on sale (my hubby retired Navy so it is a benefit in and of itself when it comes to cake ingredients, usually have of the off base price and with coupons, hold your panties, hehehehehehhehehe). Anyway, I made a huge but rewarding mistake... when the commissary had its after Christmas sale, I bought about 25 of their holiday cake mixes.... and just don't use sprinkles (save then for next year). I doctor my mixes a great deal so these taste just as good if I bought white.. anyway the sale had these mixes at 30 cents a piece, nothing wrong with them, just after christmas... I plan to use the same idea of the V-day mixes... the mistake part of this was where to put them.. so I gain had to claim a cabinet in my laundry room and clear it out, but I don't need white mixes for awhile.... but storage is an issue, especially since I buy a lot of retired pans on ebay. I recently sold many duplicates just to make room!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Jan 2007 , 4:27pm
post #30 of 32

I have stuff all over the house. In the garage, I have a Sweet Art decorator and several large storage bins with pans, cookie cutters, chocolate molds, etc.

In my kitchen, I have a large bookshelf with all my decorating books (as well as a few cookbooks). My pantry is filled with the baking essentials, as well as sprinkles, candy melts, etc.

But my bedroom is where the magic happens. (Heh... that sounds dirty)

I bought a new entertainment center for my big screen TV, and had the old one in the garage. Well, I found a new use for it. I put it in my bedroom (which is HUGE) and put a folding table where the TV used to go and filled it with my decorating and sculpting supplies. As you can see in the photos, I take this hobby seriously... there's not much I don't have.

Hopefully, I'll be able to convert my garage to a second kitchen before the year is out and move it all out there. That's the plan anyway...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%