Ganache Help Please!

Decorating By thecarouselcloset Updated 20 Jul 2009 , 6:29pm by tonedna

thecarouselcloset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecarouselcloset Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 36

I tried the white chocolate ganache, 3:1 ratio but it still seems very liquidy (i think i just made up that word, lol) I know it's supposed to be the consistency of peanut butter right, i've let it sit for about 3 hours, is it too late to add more choc? Any suggestion, this cake is for tomorrow. thanks!

35 replies
AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 36

I think the ratio is 2:1. You can try adding some more chcolate, I think it could work.

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 36

Mine was like that until I refrigerated it overnight.

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 36

If it isn't due until tomorrow, put it in the fridge. It will set up. I've made ganache alot of times and it does take awhile to set up.

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 36

If it isn't due until tomorrow, put it in the fridge. It will set up. I've made ganache alot of times and it does take awhile to set up.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 36

The ratio is 2:1....Right after making it, it should be a really nice pouring consistency, but not a loose liquid three hours after.....By then it should have started to firm up.....I would suggest melting some more chocolate.
When it's melted, add it to the ganache and whisk that up...Putting it in the fridge will result in it becoming almost a fudge-like thickness.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 36

I think it depends on whether it's the pouring ganache or the setting ganache that replaces buttercream under fondant. If it's the setting ganache, the ratio is 3:1 using chocolate weight to cream volume. It does take a while to thicken depending also on the temperature in your house.

thecarouselcloset Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 36

Thanks everyone, I need to learn to be patient, i went ahead and added a little more choc to it and it is fine now. This was for setting.

thecarouselcloset Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 36

I do have one more question. Can i refrigerate ganache, what i have left of it? If so then how long is it good for?

rwarhank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarhank Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 36

I've refrigerated it for up to a week for home use and it still tasted great; but that was because the kids hadn't manage to find it. icon_smile.gif

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:23pm
post #11 of 36

I have refrigerated it for about 2.5 weeks and have frozen it for much longer.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 36

Every thing I've seen is that white chocolate is 3:1, and regular chocolate is 2:1. I have the Planet Cake book and that's what they have listed - haven't had a chance to try it yet.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 36

Just remembered, it makes a difference on the white chocolate you use. Some of the less expensive white chocolates do not have any cocoa butter in them, and you really need the cocoa butter. HTH

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 11:49pm
post #14 of 36

white is 3 to 1 and chocolate chocolate is 2 to 1. Leftovers should be refrigerated

2SchnauzerLady Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 12:20am
post #15 of 36

You can always try whipping the liquid ganache, my first attempt did not thicken, but then I treated it like whipping cream and the result was yummy white chocolate whipped cream!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #16 of 36

sugarshacks.. dvd. on topsy turvy.. she says white chocolate is 3:1 and dark chocolate is 2:1.. i do believe it has to be good quality chocolate either way.. her dk. chocoalte on the dvd is 2:1.. and she makes it and lets it sit for a while.. before applying it to the cake. before applying her fondant. hth

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:23am
post #17 of 36

Lettig is sit for 3 hours is sometimes not enough. Try popping it in the fridge. Did you measure by weight?

thecarouselcloset Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:56am
post #18 of 36

Yes I measured by weight, I didn't think about the quality of the choc though. Could someone please tell me if and why the 35% fat really makes a difference? I know I read that in another thread. Thanks for everyone help!

thecarouselcloset Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #19 of 36

Yes I measured by weight, I didn't think about the quality of the choc though. Could someone please tell me if and why the 35% fat really makes a difference? I know I read that in another thread. Thanks for everyone help!

thecarouselcloset Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 1:59am
post #20 of 36

thecarouselcloset Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 2:01am
post #21 of 36

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:39am
post #22 of 36

I've used the cheapest chocolate chips I've found and it still worked. I try to add more to make it firmer but I'm sure that even if I didn't, it will still thicken. Not sure about the 35% since I don't check. Did you refrigerate it?

elkinchahin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elkinchahin Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 4:42pm
post #23 of 36

Im new to this when u guys say 3:1 ratio what does that mean? also I was actually talking to a friend thats a chef and she was telling me about white chocolate ganache, how she add a little of mashmallow, and that helps it set more.... so I hope this help, I havent tried it myself yet, but hope this helps

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 9:14pm
post #24 of 36

Whte Chocolate Ganache is 3:1 ratio, milk chocolate is 3:1 ratio, and Semi sweet or dark is 2:1 ratio. It needs time to set up - like over night in a cool room.

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 9:17pm
post #25 of 36

What about pouring ganache...is it the same ratio? I know your suppose to let it cool down a bit before pouring...but how much time are we talking about?

thecarouselcloset Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:12pm
post #26 of 36

Well everything turned out ok and i think i'm sold on ganache! I didn't realize i would have such a hard time with a square cake. I am just really horrible at shaping my cakes before i apply the fondant. I hope i get better with practice. Here's the cake...
LL

clarmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarmar Posted 19 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #27 of 36

OH! It's just delightful, I want to do those curly wires too but I have no idea what gage to buy.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:08am
post #28 of 36

Beautiful cake......Thanks for sharing

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #29 of 36

your cake turned out beautiful.. great work..

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 20 Jul 2009 , 6:11am
post #30 of 36

I used ganache for the first time recently and I'm never going back since I could never get my buttercream smooth. I used the 2:1 ratio (600g chocolate and 300g fresh cream). I have made ganache for desserts before and I must say that it is always better to use a good quality chocolate. I use Callebaut. Depending on how warm it is ganache can take a longer or shorter time to firm up at room temp. I like to make it the night before and leave it on the counter. I don't like putting it in the fridge cause it sets up too much and then I always manage to over heat it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%