Your Corporate Clients. How Do You Handle Them?

Business By sweetlayers Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 3:56pm by cas17

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 18

I have landed my first reoccurring corporate client for company birthdays once per month.

Is it OK to just email them an invoice to be paid every month like any other client or is it customary to do something else?

I'm a rookie needing advice.

17 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 18

I think an invoice paid every month is a great idea.

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 18

I would ask them exactly what they want to do. I have 5 corporate clients, 2 of them take an emailed monthly invoice and then pay me a couple of weeks later, another likes to collect the invoices on delivery and pays within a couple of days. one pays cash on delivery and the last one writes me a cheque when I deliver.

I always go with what they want to do, make it easy for the customer!

HTH

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:34am
post #4 of 18

I give an invoice when they are delivered and a check is mailed with two weeks.

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:17am
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

I give an invoice when they are delivered and a check is mailed with two weeks.

I work for a pretty big "corporation". Can I make a suggestion? Have someone sign off on your invoice upon satisfactory delivery. Just smile and say, hope you guys like it, can you sign this for me?

Also, get the same person or 2 people to take your invoices every month and make sure they pay them reliably. You might want to get the name or names of those who are going to be paying your invoices so you have someone to go to if things get paid late. My company is notorious for having a million people get the wrong invoices and things get paid late a lot. Hope this helps!

sweetlayers Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #6 of 18

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help.

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:58am
post #7 of 18

I take an invoice with the delivery then send a statement monthly listing open invoices. I make sure that the terms of sale are on the invoice so that when they reach accounting, they know when to submit payment.

Good Luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 18

Depending on the situation, corporate clients are the only ones I permit to be on an Accts Receivable basis. Most small deliveries (lunches, cookies, cakes) are paid with a company credit card, but I have a few who prefer to send them thru their payable dept and I'm ok with that. When I do cakes for the Gov's office/celebrations, they actually issue payment directly into my checking account about 3 weeks later. Macy's pays me from their St. Louis office.

But these are small orders. I have one corporate client who orders small things, like cakes and cookies, that we invoice, but when they order catering for 200 of their employees, I'm paid in advance like any other catering client.

So most of the time, asking how they want to handle it will work. But I had one (apartment complex) who wanted to have a big parking lot picnic for their tenants but wanted to set up Net 60 payment terms. No can do, toots!

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:06am
post #9 of 18

What are Net 60 payment terms?

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:17am
post #10 of 18

Net 60 is when company is responsible for paying the whole bill within 60 days. The standard terms for payment are net 30 if you are not offering a discount.

indydebi Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:18am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

What are Net 60 payment terms?

It means payment is due 60 days after the invoice date, or in this case they wanted to pay me 2 months AFTER the picnic! icon_surprised.gif

Net30 means payment is due in 30 days.

2%10/Net 30 means if you pay in 10 days, you can deduct 2% off of the bill; otherwise the full amount is due in 30 days.

(When I did the accounts payable for the casket company, that 2%/10 saved us over $10,000 a month. It adds up!)

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:18am
post #12 of 18

Net 60 is when company is responsible for paying the whole bill within 60 days. The standard terms for payment are net 30 if you are not offering a discount.

LaBellaFlor Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #13 of 18

60 days, huh? I'll PASS! icon_razz.gif

sweetlayers Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:42am
post #14 of 18

Thanks. These people are easy, they are going to pay upfront before the delivery like everyone else. So I got lucky. However, it's nice to know what I will have to deal with with other companies. Thanks a bunch to all!

sweetlayers Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:44am
post #15 of 18

Thanks. These people are easy, they are going to pay upfront before the delivery like everyone else. So I got lucky. However, it's nice to know what I will have to deal with with other companies. Thanks a bunch to all!

sweetlayers Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:34pm
post #16 of 18

Also, one more question. Do you have an actual contract that they sign? Or do you just trust that they will order once per month?

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:48pm
post #17 of 18

I dont' contract my commercial clients. They aren't a ditzy bride who watches TV and thinks they're SUPPOSE to try to screw me out of my money. They understand invoices that need paid and vendor services they hire.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:56pm
post #18 of 18

great info!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%