Stacking/separator Plates/cake Boards?????

Decorating By joanna314 Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 1:49pm by splash2splat

joanna314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanna314 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a 3 tier cake and wanted to know what I use to put inbetween each tier so that I can separate each tier when serving. I want them all on top of each other...no pillars but I want to be able to take the top and middle tier off of the bottom so that they can be set out separately to cut and serve.

Do I just use cake boards the same size as the cake or separator plates? Or do I use a size bigger to allow for room to decorate around each bottom? Those separator plates have the little "nubs" on the bottom to use pillars. I was figuring they would sink into the cake just a little but that would be fine. Otherwise I have no idea.

ALSO with 3 tiers do I have to use dowels? I guess I wouldn't be able to if I am using something to separate each tier.

HELP! Thanks in advance!! (Sorry if this has been discussed 12 trillion times....I looked and did a search and came up with nothing)

Joanna

4 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 5

I know you can go onto utube and there are lots of tutorials about how to stack a cake.. they are all very good too.

I don't know if you are using buttercream or fondant on your layers.

You will find that each person here has their own personal preference. If you look under the forums and the "how do I".. there is a sticky there that is labeled "SPS" .. or something like that. That spells out several ways to stack cakes.. SPS stands for single plate support. You use the plastic plates and the plastic dowels to stack your cake. People swear by it. I, as other do, use the cardboard circles the same size as the cake. I cover them with clear contact paper so they don't break down. I also use bubble tea straws for my support system. They are really fat straws I get at a chinese grocery store. Easy to cut and never had a problem. Then as I go to stack layer on top of layer, I put a small dusting of cornstarch where I plant to sit my next layer. Helps not to stick. Sometimes I make that layer sit a little higher to get my knife under there to separate the layers... just depends on what I need.

I will see about doing some searches for you to find some threads about this. I thought there was something under the "articles" tab here on this site.......

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 5

found it... go under the "article" tab on this site... there are three different instructions that would help you...

* one is "building the cake: pillar construction"
* one is "building the cake : center column"
* one is "tiered/stacked cake construction"

THat should give you the information you need!!

Good luck.. you should do fine!!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:42am
post #4 of 5
splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 5

many use foam core - but what and how do people cover these so they are food safe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%