Ideas About How To Pull This Off?

Decorating By ahuvas Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 1:41pm by Texas_Rose

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:34am
post #1 of 10

Hi I am thinking of making this cake for my friend who loves frogs.

I planned on using two halves of the sports ball pan to do but I just wanted to check and see if you think the top half has been carved down or is it just a trick of the eye because the white is covering 60% and the green 40%?

Do you think it would be a good idea to cover each half seperately, sticking it together and then amoothing the fondant so the two pieces join?

Does the ball cake wobble because of its roundness or is it shapped so that you can rest it on the board without cutting anything from the bottom?
LL

9 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:51am
post #2 of 10

That looks more like the egg pan rather than the sports pan.... or maybe it has been carved, but at any rate, it does not look "round" to me......
Is that CUTE, or what !? icon_lol.gif

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:51am
post #3 of 10

First of all, the sportsball pan will bake up exactly as a half circle to the height the pan is filled or to the height that you slice thae flat part. So It seems to me that the green part is definitiely smaller (more shallow) than the green so either fill that half of the pan with less batter or just slice off more of the flat side to make a smaller cake. Secondly, you will need to slice a but off of the rounded part of the bottom cake to make it sit flat. In addition, the picture seems to show the green part is slanted somewhat so either bake it tilted somehow or you will have to carve it on the lsant to copy this cake exactly. good luck!

grama_j Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:52am
post #4 of 10

That looks more like the egg pan rather than the sports pan.... or maybe it has been carved, but at any rate, it does not look "round" to me......
Is that CUTE, or what !? icon_lol.gif

ahuvas Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:23am
post #5 of 10

This is the only frog cake I have seen that I really love - for some reason frog cakes seem hard to pull off really well. Its for his birthday and I think it will be a great surprise if I pull it off - the only really challenge is getting the shape right since I dont like carving.

grama_j Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:30am
post #6 of 10

Well, for ME, it would be the fondant....... working around those little eyeballs would be a nightmare for me ! Guess that is why I stick to buttercream whenever I can ! icon_wink.gif

ahuvas Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 10

haha Im not good at buttercream - I am so happy to have fondant to cover my sloppy work icon_smile.gif I was thinking about using styrofoam balls for the eyes to reduce the weight.

grama_j Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 10

Oh, that is a GREAT idea.... I'll bet this other person did too..... they are too perfect to be fondant covered cake ! I hope you show us the pics when you are done !

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 10

It does appear to be more egg shaped to me also. The suggestions from chanielisalevy sound good too - especially about baking the ball on a slant.
Most likely it's the full ball cake & the 40/60 color split that makes it look not round or smaller.
BTW: My *original* WASC recipe would be perfect for this cake. It will give you a bit more dense cake to work with icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:41pm
post #10 of 10

If you do use styrofoam balls for the eyes, when you cover them you can roll them in your hands to get rid of any wrinkles. That works for balls of RKT too.

I wonder if the cake was just baked in a mixing bowl? Not a KA mixing bowl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%