Help! Food Poisoning?

Decorating By amyfruity Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm by jlynnw

amyfruity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyfruity Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 10

Hello,

Due to being sleep deprived and new to all of this, I think I just ruined my friend's bridal shower cake. icon_cry.gif Luckily I'm throwing the shower and it's not a paying customer!

The cake is an almond pound cake with raspberry cream cheese filling and buttercream dream icing covered in MMF. I left it out overnight because I was working on a fondant gown for the top and I stuck it in the cake last night and decorated the dress.....Well it wouldn't fit in my fridge anyway...In hindsight I should have refrigerated the cake and put the gown on today. So....The cake needs to be thrown away, right?

I made sugar cookies, truffles and I'll have chocolate covered strawberries...but I'm so disappointed about the cake! The MMF doesn't protect it by any chance, does it?

Thanks for all your help....The shower is this afternoon.

Amy icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

9 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 10

Are you asking if it went bad .... or are you saying everyone got sick at the shower? icon_confused.gif

amyfruity Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 10

I'm asking if it is bad. The shower is this afternoon and I'd like to serve it....but I'm afraid it's bad. I'm just clarifying my suspicions. icon_sad.gif

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 10

I believe the buttercream dream can be left out, as far as the cream cheese, not sure. Edna uses a crusting cream cheese BC and it can be left out. I know you didn't use the cream cheese BC, but a filling. If it got extremely hot in your house.....toss it. If it stayed cool, it would be fine.
HTH

amyfruity Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 10

It's been in the 60's.....I guess I'll warn everyone and see how it tastes myself.....Thanks so much!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #6 of 10

I would use it. I've used similar creations w/o problems.

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 10

If there is ANY doubt in your mind that this cake may not be safe to eat, I wouldn't serve it. It may be just fine but on the other hand, if anyone actually got sick, you would feel awfully bad.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 10

I'm sure it's fine to serve. Wedding cakes stay out for a long long time before people eat them and I'm sure they are made with all types of fillings. Plus, fondant is like an edible saran wrap and protects the cake to keep it fresh right? I'm sure it's fine!!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 10

I always make cheese cake filling cream cheese with pudding and better cream mox together, left out in 80 and no one in my family or people at the party got sick and It was eaten over and over until finished so it would be your call

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 10

I have seen at grocery stores cakes with cream cheese icing out on the tables, no refridgeration for days. Doesn't the sugar help preserve the cream cheese? I read about it someplace and not sure. It was like sugar curing a ham? I don't know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%