Coloring Melted Chocolate

Decorating By blueydmom2004 Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm by blueydmom2004

blueydmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueydmom2004 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:01am
post #1 of 19

How would you color melted chocolate to the color you want if they don't sell the exact color you want?

18 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:41am
post #2 of 19

mix-n-match colors till you find it. what color are you trying to make?

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:57am
post #3 of 19

I use my airbrush colors put a few drops in the chocolate and mix.

blueydmom2004 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:00am
post #4 of 19

I haven't gotten to the store yet to see what colors they have. I was just asking for in case I couldn't find the color I wanted. I have a bride who wants butterflies on her wedding cake and I've never made butterflies before. So I'm playing around with the different ways. On the cake that the bride showed me the butterflies were made from melted chocolate...I think. Thank you so much for helping me!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:02am
post #5 of 19

You will need to use either powdered color or color made specifically for chocolate (oil based.) The gel and paste colors are water based.

blueydmom2004 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 4:10am
post #6 of 19

That will explain why the chocolate turned to a wax like consistemcy when I used my wilton coloring. Thanks!

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:22am
post #7 of 19

what about using color-flow in combination with the americolor water-based gels? i have never tried this, but the local cake store was recently trying to tell me this could be done...
i have no idea, but i would love to know for next time i make white chocolate clay icon_smile.gif

drakegore Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:34am
post #8 of 19

...uh, that would be "flo-coat", not "color-flow". not my smartest moment today, lol.

drakegore Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:37am
post #9 of 19

...uh, that would be "flo-coat", not "color-flow". not my smartest moment today, lol.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 19

Yes, you can use Flo Coat and Ameicolor gels.

I did it this past weekend. I only wanted a small amount of a certain color of pink to use to "glue" some decorations on to a fondant cake. I took about 8-10 white Witlon candies - nuked in a small dish, made a little well in the middle of the melted chocolate, added one drop of Flo-Coat and one drop of color and stirred. Turned out just great. The more candies you melt the more Flo Coat and gel color you will need.

I hope this helps.

Peridot Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 19

I did it this past weekend. I only wanted a small amount of a certain color of pink to use to "glue" some decorations on to a fondant cake. I took about 8-10 white Witlon candies - nuked in a small dish, made a little well in the middle of the melted chocolate, added one drop of Flo-Coat and one drop of color and stirred. Turned out just great. The more candies you melt the more Flo Coat and gel color you will need.

I hope this helps.

Peridot Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 19

I hope this helps.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #14 of 19

And if chocolate doesn't work, you can make butterflies out of gelatin, fondant, gumpaste, whatever you want. They're very easy to make. Merissa made a gorgeous cake with chocolate butterflies and blue roses and I'm partial to the gelatin butterflies (in my pix). Gumpaste butterflies you can make to look way more realistic. Depends on what you want -- there are lots of options open to you. icon_biggrin.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:08pm
post #15 of 19

blueymom...... check out the butterflies in my photos..... they are SOOO easy, and look so pretty on a cake.......They wouldn't let me post the site where I got them, but I can PM you if you are interested..... I don't know WHY they wouldn't let me post it.... it's not like they are in competition with Global Sugar Art...... they dont' even carry them...... take a look and let me know.......

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:52pm
post #16 of 19

Have many of you had problems colouring chocolate with the Wilton gel colours?

I have been making chocolates for years (just got into cakes recently) and I have always used Wilton candy melts (or Merckens) and Wilton gel icing colours and I have never had a problem with texture or anything, and certainly not waxy. The water base never caused any problems with my chocolate separating or changing the consistency.

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 6:54pm
post #17 of 19

Have many of you had problems colouring chocolate with the Wilton gel colours?

I have been making chocolates for years (just got into cakes recently) and I have always used Wilton candy melts (or Merckens) and Wilton gel icing colours and I have never had a problem with texture or anything, and certainly not waxy. The water base never caused any problems with my chocolate separating or changing the consistency.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:03pm
post #18 of 19

WOW. Clover.... I can't imagine how you did that ...... EVERY time I have tried using that stuff, my chocolate seized right up and I had to throw it all away....... Wilton has the powdered color that works GREAT, but not that gel stuff !

blueydmom2004 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #19 of 19

I did pick up some regular food coloring today from the store to try using with the melted chocolate. Thanks everybody for all the help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%