Did I See This Right? What Anna From Aoc Did On Challenge?

Decorating By bourbs Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 6:18am by anasasi

bourbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bourbs Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 36

I'm curious, was that a little square of sandpaper she was using on her character? or am I mistaken?

Always looking for little tips and things for learning to make characters

Blessings Marie

35 replies
krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 36

i didnt see the challenge but ivee seen duff do it but........ sand papers not food safe!

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 36

I think it was smooth on the side she was using to smooth out imprints and such.

Those cakes were cool, loved the modeling/figurines on the winners...

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 36

I'm not sure it was sand paper. It looked more like cardboard to me. Sand paper would tear modeling chocolate to shreds.

anasasi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasasi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 36

Something I picked up in the book "Planet Cake" was to use a square piece of heavy plastic (they use blank x-ray film) to buff out your fondant/modeling chocolate. You're supposed to cut the corners into rounded edges so as not to imprint any marks with the edges. The book also says if you use the heavier plastic found on report covers it should work the same way. I picked up a large magnifying sheet at Michael's, which was super smooth on one side, and I'll be using this on a cake I'm covering in modeling chocolate tomorrow. I usually smooth out my cake with my hands/plastic gloves, but this makes much more sense so I'm going to give it a test drive. Maybe this was what Anna was doing?

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 36

It was a smoother. Kerry crucified that girl for using styro on the mammoth cake, she would have done the same to Anna for using something like sandpaper (especially with Anna being new). They were showing it prettyy closely and over and over again, so it would have been pretty noticable to the judges. They would have called her out if it were something like sandpaper. It really looked like a piece of heavy white plastic, like a fondant smoother looks.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 36

It looked like some type of plastic or paper.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 36

What challenge was this? When was it on? I must have missed it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

What challenge was this? When was it on? I must have missed it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

"Ice Age Cakes" Episode: 174 Original Air Date: 06-28-09

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 36

Thanks, that means they'll replay it. I'll check their website for date and time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 36
Quote:

Thanks, that means they'll replay it. I'll check their website for date and time.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

It airs again on Wed 7/01, Sat 7/04, and Sun 7/05... set your TIVO/DVRs!!!!

playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 36

I really hate their website. It takes forever to find anything on there now.

It airs again on Wednesday, July 1, 7 PM EDT, and Saturday, July 4, at 7 PM.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Unlimited Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:48pm
post #13 of 36
Quote:

I really hate their website. It takes forever to find anything on there now.

It airs again on Wednesday, July 1, 7 PM EDT, and Saturday, July 4, at 7 PM.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I'm quick because I just looked it up through my Slingbox on my computer or cell phone!!

katherinem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katherinem Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:42pm
post #14 of 36

ON the tivo is it named something else - i just did a search for the "Ice Age Cakes" and couldn't find anything. I love Cake Shows but the only ones I know about are Ace of Cakes, Cake Boss and Amazing Wedding Cakes and i TIVO all 3 of them.

Unlimited Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:50pm
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by katherinem

ON the tivo is it named something else - i just did a search for the "Ice Age Cakes" and couldn't find anything. I love Cake Shows but the only ones I know about are Ace of Cakes, and Amazing Wedding Cakes and i TIVO all 3 of them.

The thread is about what Anna did on Challenge...

The show is "Challenge" on the Food Network channel.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #16 of 36

It was on the Food Network.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:16pm
post #17 of 36

You need to look under "Food network challenge"

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm
post #18 of 36

I saw the challenge, it is a small piece of plastic, I was thinking now that is a great idea, keeps your body temp from melting/messing up the modeling choc. I thought all of the cakes looked fantastic!!!! Such a refreshing challenge compared to that mess with the Kerry Vincent Birthday Cake Challenge, I cannot remember that woman's name for the life of me, but man alive, she lit that cake and I almost fell over, she never takes the challenges seriously. Waste of everyone's time and money!!!

dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:32pm
post #19 of 36

I saw the challenge, it is a small piece of plastic, I was thinking now that is a great idea, keeps your body temp from melting/messing up the modeling choc. I thought all of the cakes looked fantastic!!!! Such a refreshing challenge compared to that mess with the Kerry Vincent Birthday Cake Challenge, I cannot remember that woman's name for the life of me, but man alive, she lit that cake and I almost fell over, she never takes the challenges seriously. Waste of everyone's time and money!!!

I agree with you about this women, I can't remember her name either but her cake was awful and her kitchen was even worse! The other cakes on this challenge was great but this one woman definitely had a problem!

And by the way I think Anna did a great job! Especially with it being her first challenge.

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:41pm
post #20 of 36

Oh was her name Stevie or something?And her station was a big mess.The was her station looked,I would never buy a cake from her even if her cakes were the best of all.In back of my mind wondering if she keeps her kitchen looking that way & if I order a cake she's gonna want to design it her way not the way I want it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #21 of 36

I know this thread is about Anna--I was listening to it more than I was watching it--the guy that won--he said he was using a drop of hot glue on something--I could go back & look but where was he applying that????

It seemed like maybe it was on some chocolate or not???

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 10:47pm
post #22 of 36

He applied the "Drop of hot glue" between the top of the peak and the mountain, there was a cardboard circle in between, thank God for that one, LOL.

On that note with the KV Birthday Cake Challenge, man alive, it was just the nastiest cake I have ever seen, the filling, the "BC" and the cake looked like store bought pound cakes. It was just a HUGE mess and my oldest daughter said I fear whoever would even want to try to eat that cake, LMAO!!! Her BC looked like sundae topping of some sort, just terrible and nasty, I dont know why they invite her back, after the bridge challenge, she just doesnt take it serious, and its just sad because they take the bill on hotel and accomodations and its pretty much just a slap in the face, in my opinion. I LOVE watching the other contestants faces when they show them looking at her progress in the 2 challenges, now those are the real Kodak moments, LOL!!!

katherinem Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:09am
post #23 of 36

Thank you - I found it and have it tivo-ed
I love any shows having to do with cake decorating
they are all so much fun to watch!

katherinem Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:10am
post #24 of 36

katherinem Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #25 of 36

katherinem Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:28am
post #26 of 36

Sorry about those triple replies - I have no idea what happened. I hit reply and then a page came up saying CC was updating the server and to try back in a few mins.

katherinem Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:29am
post #27 of 36

Sorry about those triple replies - I have no idea what happened. I hit reply and then a page came up saying CC was updating the server and to try back in a few mins.

katherinem Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:30am
post #28 of 36

bourbs Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #29 of 36

Thank you for all the replies. That makes sense about the plastic! I'm definately going to try that.

Blessings, Marie

bourbs Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:29pm
post #30 of 36

Thank you for all the replies. That makes sense about the plastic! I'm definately going to try that.

Blessings, Marie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%